Carburetor banjo bolt threaded?

Conner

Yesterday I took the carburetor off my engine to send it off to be rebuilt. My truck is a 1964 L-320 with the stock E-1 engine and the Nikki 2D-30C carb.

Running to the carb from the fuel pump was a hard fuel line, which I think is stock. I had a hard time taking off the union bolt and ended up crimping the fuel line in the process. So I'll have to replace that, which is fine. But I noticed that the fuel line seemed to be flared into the banjo bolt, not threaded on with a fitting. It seems to be a hard connection. The pic from my parts manual indicates the banjo bolt should have threading. That would be much easier to get on and off because you wouldn't have to take off the union bolt and loose those tiny pieces in order to get the carburetor off the intake manifold.

Here are some pics of my banjo bolt.

banjo-top.jpg

banjo-side.jpg

Here's a shot of the page from the parts manual.

carb_parts_manual.jpg

Can anybody share what their set-up looks like? I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace the banjo bolt because I don't see a way to get a new hard line back in there and flare it once its inside.

Any advantage or harm to replacing that hard line with a hose assuming I can get a threaded banjo bolt?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send it off to the rebuilder and let him get it apart.

It is supposed to come apart the way you are suggesting, as there is a screen inside you should be able to get to, 16098-31300 is the number I beleave.

It has been there so long that it doesn't want to move, so let the rebuilder deal with it, as I am sure he has dealt with the issue before.

wayno

Thanks, yeah, that's the plan to have the rebuilder get it apart and back together.

I'm just worried that if they send it back with that banjo bolt reinstalled I won't have a way to attach the fuel line to the banjo bolt, because it isn't threaded. I was wondering if that's normal and there's a way to do it or if the banjo bolt should be threaded like the one in the parts manual. I know it's hard to see from my blurry pictures, but the fuel line just goes straight into the banjo, it doesn't have a fitting that is threaded onto threads on the banjo bolt. In the pic there's about a half inch of fuel line left going into the banjo bolt where I had to cut it to get the fuel line off. I hope that makes sense.

The part # I have for the banjo bolt is 16111-08101 but I'm not finding that part on Nissan parts websites.

Thanks, yeah, that's the plan to have the rebuilder get it apart and back together.

I'm just worried that if they send it back with that banjo bolt reinstalled I won't have a way to attach the fuel line to the banjo bolt, because it isn't threaded. I was wondering if that's normal and there's a way to do it or if the banjo bolt should be threaded like the one in the parts manual. I know it's hard to see from my blurry pictures, but the fuel line just goes straight into the banjo, it doesn't have a fitting that is threaded onto threads on the banjo bolt. In the pic there's about a half inch of fuel line left going into the banjo bolt where I had to cut it to get the fuel line off. I hope that makes sense.

The part # I have for the banjo bolt is 16111-08101 but I'm not finding that part on Nissan parts websites.

The whole thing comes apart like in the photo, you just have not been able to break the threads loose.

16108-31300 is a threaded bolt that holds the fuel line in position, as you can see in the photo, there are 2 washers and a screen between that bolt and what I think is part# 16092-31300?

That whole assembly does break down into individual pieces, just send it out and let the rebuilder dismantle it, you will be able to pull it apart after he gets done rebuilding it, just tell him to leave that assembly loose, maybe he has the fuel line you need to replace now also.

wayno