Rubber stretch over wide rims.

So I had a question. Why do I see so many cars with wide rims and tires that just seems too narrow for the rim?

I was always told that it was a bad idea to stretch the side wall like that. Had to do with the fact that it is not made for direct wear and could blow out a bead much easier, tear a side wall, ect.

When I worked at schwabs they would not do this for any customer. Liability they exclaimed.

Could someone please inform me as to why I see it more often cars with this now and is it safe to do?

Matt D.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason most people do it is So that can fit wider rims inside the fenders. With the wider tires, they would run along the inside of the fender lips so what people do is stretch smaller tires on them to clear the lips.

Some people do it for the trend and they stretch only to stretch... And some take it to the extreme (just like any trend/fade/style) and stretch more than they should.

Is it safe? Depends. Some tires are softer and easier to stretch while others are stiffer and harder to get onto a wider rim. Those would not make too safe a tire. Many people run a small to moderate amount of stretch and no issues.

Most of the drifters I know will stretch a front tire slightly to minimize the amount of sidewall flex which maximizes handling response. They do that in conjunction with meaty rear tires to transfer power and torque.

• Like 3

Yep, it's pretty much been sorted out already.

I'm guilty of running stretched tires, but I also love set-ups with beefy ass tires.

It's safe... to a point.... I've had no problems running 205/60/15s on a 11" wide wheel daily for 2 years... you just have to keep them aired up properly, make sure you have no rubbing issues, and of course be careful with potholes.

Most of the drifters I know will stretch a front tire slightly to minimize the amount of sidewall flex which maximizes handling response. They do that in conjunction with meaty rear tires to transfer power and torque.

Can't say I've ever seen stretched tires on a race car... the drifters only do that because it's the latest trend.

• Like 1

I've seen it many times on real drifters... Not trend following wannabes. I've also seen articles in popular import magazines backing the claim. I'm

Not talking about crazy stretch and hellaflush. Just stiff sidewalls and mild stretch.

Stretchin has been around long time, btw tristin you think i should go with 215/55 or 205/55 with my 16x9.5's with no flares?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...