Newb here. Just bought me a 720 King Cab!

AZ-Ram

Sup!

I am new to not only this forum but being a car owner as well. I just bought me a 1982 Datsun 720 King Cab. I am buying it, for $400 cash.

I am thinking about lifting it, so any advice would be welcome.

Sorry I cant figure out how to post a pic of my truck. If you follow this link you will see a pic of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86776643@N08/7941848652/

So tell my what you think!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you.

How did you get my truck up there?

Also what do you think of it?

It was a pain in the ass, I had to save it to my computer, then transfer it to my photobucket acct, then post it to this thread.

I don't know why I couldn't grab it out of your flicker acct. and post it, but it wouldn't let me, I can get them out of photobucket accts. easily.

I had a silver diesel 720 that looked just like yours, it was a comfortable truck to drive.

Looks like you need a few parts for your truck, I hope Benson is on the west coast where the parts are.

What are your plans for the truck?

I am not big on lifting 2wd trucks, so your asking the wrong guy about that, I like them long and low, here's mine.

DSCN0959.jpg

I would get it to daily driver for a while, and then figure out what to do with it, there are a lot of guys with 720s on here with cool things done to them, look around Ratsun for a while before you put a lot of money into it.

Benson is in AZ. Hence the name I have.

I do need a lot of parts, to name a few...

1. tailgate

2. right door mirror

3. rod replacements

4. tires

5.smaller steering wheel, lol

6. stereo system.

and thats only off the top of my head.

As of what i plan on doing with it?

To be honest idk. The reason i wanted to lift it instead of lowering it is that there are a lot of big speed bumbs and pot holes.

I really just want to make my truck unique. I hate bland uniform things.

Youre truck is very nice, how did you get the rear fenders like that?

Welcome to Ratsun! Before you start messing with the suspension I would put taller tires on first. From what I see the rubber bands on those rims has got to go. But yes the torsion bars will grab you a couple inches but the ride will get rough. Air shocks can get the tail up pretty cheap and easy with the added bonus of nearly doubling your cargo weight. But if you want to go any higher, PoorMans720 and the rest of the 4x4 crew can get you on your way skyward.

Thank you all for the advice.

How much are air shock? Are they hard to install?

c10jim, Do you have any mirrors for the right front? Im heading to tucson today, hopefully with 40 buck in my pocket.

Also c10jim, how much would you guess it costs to get the truck registered and title change. and of course the the rest of the paperwork?

Thanks.

Thank you all for the advice.

How much are air shock? Are they hard to install?

c10jim, Do you have any mirrors for the right front? Im heading to tucson today, hopefully with 40 buck in my pocket.

Also c10jim, how much would you guess it costs to get the truck registered and title change. and of course the the rest of the paperwork?

Thanks.

Before you put a dime/effort into the truck, you need to put the title in your name.

There so many scammers out there, they can file for a lost title if they know you have not transferred it, wait till you have fixed it up, then claim it is theirs.

This is not a new scam, and young people seem to be the ones getting screwed that don't have the money to transfer the title right away.

thanks for the warning wayno, but I am getting the title tranfered tomarrow about 2pm or so, and getting it register to. So there is no need to worry. Also I am buying it from a friend whom I am helping move to MN.

However I do appreciate(sp?) the thought.

I will post new pics of my truck soon. Think I will name here Wyoming, I have always like that name. What do ya'll think?

Benson is in AZ. Hence the name I have.

I do need a lot of parts, to name a few...

1. tailgate

2. right door mirror

3. rod replacements

4. tires

5.smaller steering wheel, lol

6. stereo system.

and thats only off the top of my head.

As of what i plan on doing with it?

To be honest idk. The reason i wanted to lift it instead of lowering it is that there are a lot of big speed bumbs and pot holes.

I really just want to make my truck unique. I hate bland uniform things.

Youre truck is very nice, how did you get the rear fenders like that?

I guess I never answered your question about the rear fenders, I bought a toyota 4X4 dually rock crawler looking thing from a guy at a swap meet for the dually fenders, and I also got the dually adapters and wheels.

They are after market dually fenders, and are hard to find.

They didn't match the side body lines of the 720, so I had to modify them, but that was easy, as they are fiberglass.

thanks for the warning wayno, but I am getting the title tranfered tomarrow about 2pm or so, and getting it register to. So there is no need to worry. Also I am buying it from a friend whom I am helping move to MN.

However I do appreciate(sp?) the thought.

I will post new pics of my truck soon. Think I will name here Wyoming, I have always like that name. What do ya'll think?

I only have one datsun with a name, my work truck, I call it my "frank'n truck", as it is made up of a bunch of parts from various junk yard trucks/cars that I put together, and when I gave it a battery(juice), it came to life. :lol:

I did almost give my NL320 the name of "Mikes Ex", as Mike is who I bought it from, he and Paula(his wife) had a good laugh over that, and then he suggested something else would/might be better.

Your the one that will know it better than the rest of us, but what ever you do, don't call it/name it "the piece of shit" <_<, they don't like being called that, as I would know that first hand. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl: I will remember not to call her that.

So your red 720 is named "frank'n truck". thats awesome and its a dually? Even Better! :thumbup:

Out of curiousity, does the 4 rear wheels give it more grip when you let of the steering whell over 40mph?

:rofl: I will remember not to call her that.

So your red 720 is named "frank'n truck". thats awesome and its a dually? Even Better! :thumbup:

Out of curiousity, does the 4 rear wheels give it more grip when you let of the steering whell over 40mph?

My red 720 dually doesn't have a name, although it is differant than any other 720 out there, and the fact it is a dually isn't what makes it differant, it is a kingcab/longbox that makes it differant.

This is my frank'n truck below with the trailer it hauls around everyday.

DSCN0465.jpg

The biggest advantage of having a dually is in towing, when I tow(another truck with tow bar) with a normal truck with just two wheels in the back, the front end gets pushed around, and I am constantly making corrections to keep it in my lane, with a dually rearend it goes strait down the road like I am not towing anything.

After I used the 720 dually to tow a datsun 520 pickup home the first time, I decided I would never tow another truck home again with anything else but a dually, it was a pleasure towing with it, using the other truck to tow was stressful.

This is my silver 1982 datsun 720 diesel I used to tow with, very stressful, but I towed at least 10 720s/520s/521s home with it over a couple of years, the red truck behind it is my 720 dually now.

DSCF0020.jpg

I admire your creativity :thumbup: . Perhaphs one day you can put a thread explaining how you created frank'n trunk. Esp the dually part, I would love to have one like it. :angel:

Also how much is the average cost to buy a 720 out of a salvage yard?

Oh, and i took some pics of my truck and i will post them soon, or at least the link to them. :thumbup:

I admire your creativity :thumbup: . Perhaphs one day you can put a thread explaining how you created frank'n trunk. Esp the dually part, I would love to have one like it. :angel:

Also how much is the average cost to buy a 720 out of a salvage yard?

Oh, and i took some pics of my truck and i will post them soon, or at least the link to them. :thumbup:

This is a link to my work truck, at least what I have done to it in the last couple years, most of the transformation happened before I joined Ratsun .

http://community.rat...521-work-truck/

The dually rearend came out of a 85/86 nissan 720 dually or motorhome, it bolts right into anything made from 1966 threw 1986, and maybe some of the hardbody years also, I just don't know them years though.

I have never bought a 720 out of a salvage yard, when I was buying them(720s) from private parties, it was either because it was a diesel(SD22 or SD25) that ran, which I never paid more than $500.00 as the bodys were rust buckets, or it was a nice body with a blown engine, which I would buy for $400.00 or less depending on condition, and haul it home, and transfer the gasser body onto the diesel frame, and I would then have a nice running diesel truck.

720s are still coming up around here for under $500.00 every once in a while, but they are usually 4X4s, and 4wd frames do not interest me.

I seen this on craigslist recently, I know it is what you want, and it is the correct color also, but you are a long ways away, and it is not Ratsun priced either.

http://portland.crai...3256656165.html

BTW, my 720 dually does not have a dually rearend under it, the dually rearends do not have the gearing needed for a diesel engine, and the gearing cannot be purchaced either, so I had adapters made so I could mount dually wheels on a stock 720 rearend with the proper gearing.

wayno

Thanks for the thread, I hope it will help.

It does suck that most of your work trucks transformation happened before you joined Ratsun though. I would love to have me a truck like that.

The price that you pay for the trucks sounds quite reasonable, as im paying $400 for mine.

Also thanks for the graigslist post, but (as you said) it is not ratsun priced. It costs more than i get paid in 2 weeks.

BTW, my 720 dually does not have a dually rearend under it, the dually rearends do not have the gearing needed for a diesel engine, and the gearing cannot be purchaced either, so I had adapters made so I could mount dually wheels on a stock 720 rearend with the proper gearing.

wayno

Also how did you do this? I did not even know it was possible!

This is what my 521 looked like when I bought it.

My521afterifirstboughtit.jpg

This is what the next step looked like.

waynesplanesthings016-1.jpg

waynesplanesthings015-1.jpg

waynesplanesthings017.jpg

The next step was a normal width flatbed that I don't have photos of that I know about. :(

These are the kind of loads I put on this truck as it is set up today.

DSCN0393.jpg

DSCN0392.jpg

DSCN0394.jpg

I would not suggest that people put these types of loads on the trucks they make today, but they were fairly rugged back then.

I can't beleave that I don't have photos of the adapters I had made for mounting real dually wheels on a stock rearend, I guess that would be something I need to take a photo of someday.

Whoa, All i can say is whoa.

Is it hard to put a new bed on datsun trucks?

Also, i looked on graigslist in az but all the datsun trucks were over $1000!

its crazy cause my friends dad has like 5 datsun cars. None of them are running.

He is willing to sell them for $300 or so.

Only problem, i am only interested in trucks.

Whoa, All i can say is whoa.

Is it hard to put a new bed on datsun trucks?

Also, i looked on graigslist in az but all the datsun trucks were over $1000!

its crazy cause my friends dad has like 5 datsun cars. None of them are running.

He is willing to sell them for $300 or so.

Only problem, i am only interested in trucks.

What do you mean by "new bed"?

My 720 dually kingcab is a 1980KC gasser cab taken from this truck below,

DSCF0024.jpg

the box is from a 1981 regular cab longbed truck, sorry I don't have a photo of that one.

The front half of the frame is from a 1982 datsun 720 diesel truck, it was a ugly blue truck, but the diesel engine ran good.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

The back half of the frame was from the red 1980KC truck shown above.

The dually fenders were scavenged from a ugly mid 80s toyota rock crawler looking thing.