Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

Some more details from yesterdays autocross.

My BFG's had about 200 miles on them to wear off the release compounds or what have you. Before my first run it was recommended that I start my tires off at 28psi. Got them all set up and off I went. Came back in and took some tire temps, which I planned on writing down but forgot to. I do remember that the fronts were very close to even across the tread, temp rose slightly on the inside. The rears were kind of the opposite, slightly cooler on the inside portion of the tire. I also bled the tires back to 28psi, pressures had risen about 2 psi.

My car was aligned like 2 years ago so I should get it done again, but I should have -1.5 camber up front, -.8 in back. Caster was set at about 5.5 degrees, front toe 0, rear toe IIRC was 1/4 in.

After this first go, I have some things in mind to change for next time:

Lower the rear 1" and slightly increase negative camber, maybe to -1.5

Increase front spring rate from 275lb to either 300 or 325.  Going to get some 10" 300lb

Change out 5mm rear wheel spacers for 3/8" or 1/2" fender-permitting.  Going with 5/8" all around due to the brake upgrade.

Also I think I will remove the boost controller and drop some HP.

Hopefully if I can get at least some of this stuff done the car will have a little more balance and rear grip, which is lacking at the moment.

Any other tips or ideas? I am a complete beginner at this and appreciate any feedback. :thumbup:

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was so much fun!  ESCA is a pretty chill group and it was a really enjoyable day all around.  I highly recommend trying it out, It's $28 to join the club then $35 per auto-x.  There were a lot of interesting cars out there to check out too :)

I placed 19th out of 31 in the GTB-S class (4cyl forced induction or 6 cyl NA on street tires) and 53rd out of 80 overall.  Lot's of room for improvement, but I am really just having fun out there ;).  

Man, I wish I could have made it out last weekend!  Course looked fun and fast, all though I must say I'm not the biggest fan of the "go cart" section.  Watching your videos it seems like you have a good deal of body roll.  In my car I have done alot to control this, as I feel it makes the car a little easier to handle though fast transitions.  If you don't have a front sway bar, that is a must.  I also run quite a bit of negative camber (between 2.5 and 3.5*), but if you are taking tire temps, you are doing to right thing to help optimize this.

I should be getting the rest of the parts I've been waiting on within the next week or so, which means that I will be out there for the remaining events of the year.  It will be cool to have another 510 out there to compare notes with!

• Like 1

Hey Duke! 

They say that the go cart section is getting re-paved this year, it was definitely the roughest part of the course. 

I do have a bit of roll still, I think it may have been exaggerated by my ham-fisted driving.  One other thought I had after reading your post is that I have been running the poly but stock style end links on my DGR front bar really loose.  It is a bit quieter on the street but diminishes the effectiveness of said bar I believe.  I'll have to be sure to snug those up next time, along with implementing some of my other plans MUHAHAHA

See you out there!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost there with the Z32 brakes, I need to build the passenger side tomorrow then hook up the lines, bleed and done!

Click for clips:

th_E344B5DA-8BB8-45B5-82DF-AB3943FE03C4-

My auto-x setup (S12 200sx steelies 15x6 +38) will need a 5/8" spacer to clear the caliper.

th_6E409D13-79A2-495B-BF06-165E12884ECD-

Dude that's awesome! I can't wait to get my car done enough to auto cross! What time are you planing to leave for the j-tin event next Saturday?

I am suggesting in the Events thread that we all meet up at 7am at Target on Santa Rosa Ave and hit the road by 7:15 to make the caravan into the show.  I am super excited but also have many a thing left to get done :frantics:

are you bringing Dottie?

Not yet. Need to get exhaust still. I also have some odd idle ignition issues going on. I want to go to the show though, however I can't leave that early. I get off work at three in the morning and I have plans with the family in the morning. I might make it down later though.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting ready for this weekend's autocross.

Got my 5/8" Baer spacers bored out to fit the hubs.

Not much from my set-up list has been done,  no spring or alignment changes.  Going to click the front tokicos up to 3, leave the back at 1.  Tighten up the swaybar and go kill some cones!

Cleaned up while bleeding brakes for the millionth time:

6ADDA16A-C4BF-47ED-843E-80DFB4309B09-107

• Like 1

Last autocross was a blasty blast! Next time I will be prepared with 32gb memory in the gopro.

Getting ready to head out to Sin City tomorrow in the 510!

4857F7C2-32FB-474F-A494-C2C6A5260853-354

I finally re-mounted my Recaro for the drive, this time made the rails out of steel :)

15440641-f4e1-49c8-86c9-fd38555f2849_zps

Z32 brakes are sweet as, I love the way they fill up the wheel

7D53083B-9C04-4745-90FE-238FF5841FE4-354

crossing fingers that all oics are properly oriented...

Back from Vegas!

BB957B8E-8194-4CC4-87BB-6D9F56FF2C7E-137

B2661108-9494-407F-97B8-2FFA4B39482E-137

510 did great most of the trip.  Coming back it died on the freeway in Bakersfield.  After some frantic cussing we found that the fuel pump was not operating.  Luckily we rolled to a stop about a block from Autozone.  Changed the fuel pump relay, no dice.  My drunk buddy suggested hot wiring the pump to the battery, ding ding.  So wtf?  After confirming that the pump was not bad I went under the passenger seat and started checking ECU wiring.  Oh yeah the fuel pump wire has a fuse under there, ding ding! New fuse and we were off for another 5 or 6 hours of 85-100 mph! :)

A89C6F10-2DE3-4C7D-9BF8-A69C988C2559-137

• Like 1