Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

I have been watching that one.  He has a bit different set-up going on than I am planning.  I would like to eliminate the Beta Motorsports inner stubs (in the diff) I am using.  The stock Subi STi axle has a male stub built in so it is one piece, no bolts.  That's what I'm after.  Less bolts / parts, less opportunity for failure.

I would love if someone designed a new hub set-up that would allow for the CV axle to have a stub on each end.  Then we would bolt the hub flange onto the axle also like an STi.

This type of set-up would be sick

su55_1_1_zps025f36da.gif

I figure I will do the 280z outer stubs though and use a CV companion flange on the inside of that.  Still need to do more research  :geek:  and collect some cash.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been watching that one.  He has a bit different set-up going on than I am planning.  I would like to eliminate the Beta Motorsports inner stubs (in the diff) I am using.  The stock Subi STi axle has a male stub built in so it is one piece, no bolts.  That's what I'm after.  Less bolts / parts, less opportunity for failure.

I would love if someone designed a new hub set-up that would allow for the CV axle to have a stub on each end.  Then we would bolt the hub flange onto the axle also like an STi.

This type of set-up would be sick

su55_1_1_zps025f36da.gif

I figure I will do the 280z outer stubs though and use a CV companion flange on the inside of that.  Still need to do more research  :geek:  and collect some cash.

Call The Driveshaft Shop.  I believe they have the setup similar to what you are looking for.  It uses Porsche 930 cv's with a output flange for the STI stub axles.  There are a few people who have been running the kit successfully for a while.  I'm hoping to order one very soon as well.

I'm stoked to hear that you are going to be out at the ESCE autocrosses.  It will be awesome to have another 510 out there!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to being there!  And would love to hear your carb'd KA screaming.  I usually pussy foot around on the street so it will be fun to go fast.

So the parts list looks like this:

280Z outer stubs-- On the hunt

Modern Motorsport 280zxt (or z31) type CV companion flanges  http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=32_53

Custom axles from driveshaftshop.com with STi inners and 280zxt (or z31) outers  http://www.driveshaftshop.com

ESCA membership app going out today:)

• 4 weeks later...

I can never stay on track with this thing, always changing my mind.  I have decided that the ultimate CV conversion will wait till after I set up my EricJB clutch delay.  I am intrigued by this system and am almost ready to start mounting the bits, I just need a switch.  Thinking about using an unused dome light switch from the door.

I have also been collecting the rest of the parts for my strut / brake swap.  Just waiting on coilover sleeves and rotors.

The struts will be S12 V6 with M30 hubs and bearings and Z32 26mm AL calipers clamping z32 4/5 lug rotors.  I'm pretty excited about this little upgrade :w00t:

Oh yeah I got this in the mail recently B) :

1E9C2741-EA38-4D79-882B-352E02B0583E-954

Unfortunately the last few times I've driven the 510 I have had issues with precious 91 splashing out the filler neck.  Add filler neck swap to the seemingly never ending list :rofl:

• Like 1

i find it funny that you want to go cv axles my early subaru has cv's in the rear and from everything i have read and seen regular half shafts with normal u joints are stronger why does everyone want cv's? 

• Like 1

Yes as angles increase so do vibrations and stress on the joint.  I've busted 2 u-joints so far...  Only when horsing around though lol.

Kirden thanks for the love!  I still love the paint but it is getting due for another coat.  Washing the car is painful as I can watch the paint come off :(

This is the stuff, I don't know if it's still available or not.

735C2849-5CD4-457A-B278-70D569483680-103

E85EF862-6AC6-4AB2-9312-1F013A697922-103

My new iphone makes photographing and posting photos so much easier!

And here is a gratuitous engine bay shot freshly wiped down

6E84B910-B0A7-4D8B-8309-06D3F46B5EAC-954

Thanks for the SKU shot. That should make it much easier to find.

As far as a possible swap is concerned, I just have to figure out what I really want. I've only had the truck for a few weeks and the L18 runs strong, so I kinda want to keep it. However, I have had a few cars with over 200whp and I can feel the bug biting me again. Looking at the power some of the KA and SR guys are getting is making me jealous. Even if I take all the turbo parts for my civic and finally put them on the car, its not a Datsun and I have no more love for the honda forums... Plus that takes away valuable time and money for the truck.

Can't wait to see the rest of this 510's journey. One day I will be able to get a 510, even though I will probably have to by it on the west coast and ship it here :(

• Like 1

P1040582_zps5f765e8b.jpg

We will see how the paint holds up.  I have to bake it next week.  The primer is good to 550*, the top coat to 650*.  My fluid is good till 600* fresh out the bottle so I think it will be ok for a while.  Depending on how long it takes me to get the struts ready I may do another few coats...

While in the midst of the aerosol clouds I got to work on my drivers door.  I have been having a helluva time lately closing the door.  I thought the problem was due to the hinges sagging so I pulled the kick panel and got the door off.  This is definitely a job that should have been handled when the car was apart lol. 

The silly plastic bushing were gone...

33506FF2-EC62-47CC-848C-91DCD08866A6-521

I only did the bottom hinge then slapped it back together, thinking I was almost done.  The door was lined up good but still could not get it to latch.  Screwing around with the latch was getting me nowhere.  After more investigation it turns out that the door side of the latch was heavily worn.  There was some rubber that was missing, keeping the latch from working correctly.  I had to slam the door every time to close it.

47E025AD-405D-4586-A43A-85D627256EC9-521

Solution:

CA955484-D6CC-49E8-A4BC-765EC59A3946-521

3 washers spaced the plate out just enough to grab fresh rubber on the door latch and now the ish closes like new :)

Todays project will begin the clutch delay install :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New tires being mounted as I type this:

DF394D7F-9B30-4586-ACBC-2014FFC103F5-242

Finally got my adjustable clutch delay mostly installed, just need to make a bracket for the switch:

P1040731_zpscbf07a64.jpg

P1040733_zps1ba6ba68.jpg

Bleeding the system after letting it go dry and with the extra lines and valves was a huge pain.  Took forever, like days.

P1040739_zps4dee5666.jpg

Strut and brake upgrade is in progress, calipers are baked and the struts are being shortened over at a friends'.  I ended up not using the 200sx V6 struts or hubs. FOR SALE :)  M30 all the way, I should've done more research about the 200sx V6, it uses a rotor bolted behind the hub d'oh!

BD70EEA0-ADCF-43F8-9509-D65A01652990-913

69D5125F-0AB0-4FA1-9897-680C4A489EC1-913

EB6DF9EF-441C-44C3-8ED6-2A4698A4B9E9-913

While I had the wiring ish out I wired up my front sidemarkers and re-wired the front markers, felt good to get all the lights working. Just reverse lights and signals are still out, but who needs those? lol

Photobucket sucks

I just did my annual oil change on the 510, twas not without the unexpected!

Amsoil or bust

F278742A-4841-40EC-B37A-21F51982D7EE-144

Nissan drain plug crush washer, not your normal copper washer. Pre- and post- use with my magnetic drain plug.

25870762-DA00-440C-AA13-0287E4417DD0-144

So as I was saying the oil change was not without a surprise.  My car runs just great and I have not had any issues with the SR20.  As some may recall from earlier in the thread I bought the engine at least 3rd hand.  My approach to getting it in the 510 was minimalistic in tearing it down.  All I did was replace all the gaskets on the intake / exhaust, new coolant hoses under the intake, new alt belt and a new water pump.  What I never have done is pull the valve cover or the oil pan.

Today as I was threading in the magnetic plug (kind of a bitch with a steel pan lol) I hear an unfortunate clunk clank.  There is some kind of not insignificant chunk of steel in the pan.  I was like dafuqisdat?  I rapped the pan with my hand and could hear it bouncing around.  I took a few moments then proceeded to button up the oil change, deciding to pretend all is well.  Fired it up and I have good pressure, so I am crossing my fingers that whatever it is stays stuck to that magnet lol.

I have no idea what it could be, but the car runs great, revs and makes good power.  I guess the time is coming for a more thorough refresh.

Anyone got any ideas?

Quick 45 second clip revving a bit, showing oil psi, h20 temp, and AFR's:

th_E6CF3775-8479-41DE-B083-4A569D291E76-

I know you are right about it turning into an expensive repair, I'll pull the pan sometime this week.  I have a s14 oil pick-up/ strainer to put in when I get to it. 

I decided to go through with attending my very first autocross today, and whatever is in there stayed stuck :)

Here are my first three runs (my first time ever) from the autocross today at Sonoma County Airport.  I'll let the clips do the talking for now...

Run 1 with a little coaching, pretty funny and loose!

th_Run1_zps96a4d1b2.jpg

Run 2 with a rider for fun, a little more controlled

th_run2_zps311f541e.jpg

Run 3 was my first time solo, got a little excited with the throttle :)

th_run3_zpsa7afea03.jpg

I blew it by not clearing out my memory cards, so I was unable to film the last 2 runs.  Run 4 I had a big smoky spin out and run 5 I got my personal best time of the day.

I had an awesome time out there and am really looking forward to getting back out.  Going to have to skip next month though as the date conflicts with the Norcal Shokuji J-tin show.   http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52290-norcal-shokuji-j-tin-april-20-2013/