Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

Thanks Duke!  I was really considering moving to the Maxxis VR-1 street tire in 245 width but GRM just tested it against the 225 Rival S and it was slower.  I'm probably going to stay away from slicks/ R-comps for a while yet.

One thing I want to try to whip up is a heel plate, do you have any pics of the one you made in your thread?

I understand about the switch to R-comps.  It would be nice to not have to change wheels every event.

I don't think I have any pictures of the heel plate that I made.  It is really just a piece of .065 aluminum that I bent up, covered with some skateboard grip tape, and riveted to the floor.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Small update, just a few changes.

I yanked out all my stereo stuff (head unit, amp, powered sub, rear deck box w/ 6x9's) and my busted attempt at a console.  I removed the radio surround from the dash and in it's place installed a bent piece of 3/16" ABS plastic to house my gauges and two cig lighters.  To fasten the panel I used some leftover rivnuts from my flares and I also ponied up for autometer angle rings to get the gauges pointing towards me.

83B48B86-9A05-49C4-BBEE-9CC32C9BEC45_zps

After the last track day I realized that my spark plugs were spent and replaced them.  The car started to run a whole lot better but then I noticed I was missing some boost.  I was only getting base wastegate pressure, 12psi.  After replacing my boost controller vacuum lines and cleaning the sucker out I got it reset a smidge higher than before.  I get a spike of almost 20psi before it tapers back to around 17.  Feels great!!!  On the way to work one dewy morning last week I eased onto the freeway then spun 3rd. :rofl:

I changed out my inner reflector on the driver side for a wire grill.  The idea was more cold air for the intake but I think it looks neat and it's different again  B)

15C3A718-7DDC-45A8-BE6A-B5D7A58EA6C4_zps

• Like 5

Autocross #4!

The course was extremely tight this month and the subject of much bemoaning from the grid.  I ended up getting my best time on my first run while the second two were slightly slower and with 2 cones each I believe.  My co driver and I left at lunch for other activities, so we only got 3 runs.

Pitted up

17ACE582-4EC1-45AA-9E49-C7C597E7D099_zps

Here is a pretty decent representation of our "racing surface"

3629DA53-ACEA-4CD8-8B46-5DD91B624593_zps

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

510 down. :crying:  Awaiting further test results but it appears the SR is toast...

Autocross must go on and I got hooked up with a nice SR powered 240sx until I get the 510 fixed.  We just threw my tires on it and gave it hell!  It fits in the same class so I can keep chasing the championship. B)

I was pretty much a mess all day but it was fun.  There were many spins and a DNF or two.

• Like 1

Tell me more about this Sr issue?

It makes no sense, but when I saw this I read Dr suess. :) i was confused and excited at the prospect of dr suess and a 510.

And then my brain fixed the words and I was sad. :(

Oh, and sorry about your engine.

• Like 3
Tell me more about this Sr issue?

I believe it all started when I turned up the boost last month by like an extra 3 psi.  I had been running it at 16-17psi forever and I knew I was on the edge of the stock fuel systems capacity.  

Anyways after ripping down the freeway a couple weeks ago I noticed the engine bay smoking at a light.  It was also struggling to hold idle, I had to blip the throttle to keep it running. Got home and opened the hood to find oil everywhere.  The dipstick was popping out and had covered the driver side of the bay in oil.  Disconnecting the block and valve cover breathers while running it put out so much smoke people probably thought my garage was on fire.

I borrowed a compression tester and did an oil change these were the results:

Dry test

5C625135-9534-45CF-80D4-6DADDC38A8FC_zps

5FA72D27-AFD8-4355-B9C6-2ED02CB03ADF_zps

64BB050D-B6B1-44AE-8514-E3939CBFB3E2_zps

01857AFD-7DD3-405A-9E85-5C9268499C0A_zps

Wet test

C4DDAEAD-B59F-4DC7-AC6B-E5A1567B168E_zps

77ADACF4-C4E4-4738-B024-62C9D6F83A1A_zps

8387AA14-9D89-495F-A3B5-E13F58D45EFA_zps

33F24BC2-AAF4-4EF3-BDC1-249DCC3783D9_zps

• Like 1

Headgasket I'm guessing.

It's too bad she's giving you trouble but I don't think you did too bad on the amount of fun you've been having with it before it broke.

I remember someone telling me once that if the car went down in battle (he used to race a gt mustang) it was honorable.....if it broke otherwise it wasn't.

Not sure if that helps.

• Like 2

So is that 60 good or bad.looks like the point when a big trucks air brakes go in to low alarm. Not good I would say. Let me know I got a FJ20 for sale.

Do you still have the fj20 510 mounts?
  • Like 1

Not encouraging numbers to say the least.. GL man!

Thanks Draker!

Headgasket I'm guessing.

It's too bad she's giving you trouble but I don't think you did too bad on the amount of fun you've been having with it before it broke.

I remember someone telling me once that if the car went down in battle (he used to race a gt mustang) it was honorable.....if it broke otherwise it wasn't.

Not sure if that helps.

Headgasket would probably be best-case scenario.  It's crappy that it broke but I only blame myself for getting too turnt and neglecting the signs...

I've always heard conventional wisdom is that 10-12psi is the limit of the stock fuel system...   ^_^

:rofl:

What happened to runs 4,5 and 8?

We had an oopsie and left the camera on so it died.  I don't think the runs are labeled right.  I snuck the gopro back into your car to charge so we could get the second half of the afternoon. Thanks ;)

So is that 60 good or bad.looks like the point when a big trucks air brakes go in to low alarm. Not good I would say. Let me know I got a FJ20 for sale.

Better than zero!  FJ hmm...