Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a progression of my front end over the past year, I think I am finally happy with it.

I hated the elbows being so visible, needed more sleeper

P1030377.jpg

BBQ paint helped a ton, painted the end tanks and elbows

P1030941.jpg

Next at the party were some wire stone guards from Spectre/ Summit. Getting there...

P1040237.jpg

Better still I just added some 3M reflector tape on cardboard with plastic lenses sandwiched between the wire and homemade reflectors.

What intercooler?

1102121605.jpg

With camera flash

P1040367.jpg

They are a little too stark white but I think they will stay for a while.

Thanks Spoona! They are XXR 532.

Well right now the car is parked on the street 30 miles from home because I am wetoddid. New clutch + big new tires + fun = busted ass exploded u joint. It was the outer joint on the driver side, and when it went it took the brake line with it :(. I am awaiting fedex and should have the car back home safe tomorrow.

Too much meat! The poor little 40 year old axle just couldn't take the torque...

P1040279.jpg

Time to bump a set of CV axles up on the list a bit.

I will have pictures of the damage tomorrow when I bring it home.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the destruction

P1040429_zps63a6306c.jpg

P1040428_zps5b94b40f.jpg
P1040396_zpsad8f22b6.jpg
P1040395_zpsdd68d7b6.jpg

While I'm down there f-ing around with the brake lines and axles I notice an 04-5 STi LSD on ebay. Beta Motorsport stubs have been on the shelf for 6mo. I kept an eye on it and won the part for what I felt was a very decent price. I hope no one here was bidding :) 70k-ish, 3.9 ratio and clutch pack action! I have been driving with a 4.11 welded diff for a while now and am very much looking forward to this upgrade. Welded diff is cool for drag racing and donuts but not great day to day.

P1040411_zps0863b6f2.jpg
P1040434_zpsa071d008.jpg

I like how the STi R180 has a metal gasket with an area that blocks oil from splashing up the vent. Did any of the Nissan diffs have this?

P1040418_zps01e683e1.jpg
P1040230.jpg

Ignore everything in that last picture besides the Beta axles, that stuff is for later... :angel:

I missed one very important detail on the 04-05 Subaru STi R180 and tomorrow I am off to find a transmission shop in the area to pull and swap some pinion flanges around.

It was a mad dash to get this new diff installed last week. JRL Machine finished the pinion flange swap at around 330 on Tuesday.

Blown 510 R160 came in handy and now is in a way re-united with my car. Thank you parts bin engineering!

P1040435_zps72489b17.jpg

Beta Motorsport stubs installed with my old bolts. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the bolts alternating a vinegar bath with baking soda & scotchbrite scrubs.

P1040436_zps71353b2f.jpg

I was planning on taking the 510 on a 1200 mile trip to see my Dad in Keizer, OR and really wanted to get this diff in to enjoy the fuel economy of the 3.9:1 ratio and the LSD action. I had a hell of a time trying to fill it with gear oil in the car and ended up losing my little filler tube inside the diff. This was at 7:30 Tuesday night and I was supposed to shove off at 5am the next day. Not gonna happen. I ended up waking up at 6, pulled the drain plug and retrieved the little tube. Then I ran out to Autozone for another liter of Royal Purple and a much longer plastic tube. Filled the sucker up and off I went. Everything finally worked out and besides a more pronounced gear whine under certain conditions this diff is the bee's knees.

Mt. Shasta on the way home

P1040460_zps899c061b.jpg

P1040465_zps1321cd13.jpg

I have a small issue with my cooling system and thought someone here might have an idea for me. When it is cold out or night and I am at freeway speeds for an extended period the car runs too cold. It ends up running in the warm-up part of the ECU and the heater become useless to boot. I usually throw a piece of cardboard in front of the rad but that only helps a smidge. Are there higher temp/ cold weather thermostats available for the SR20? I have not been able to find one, any input would be appreciated!

edit: I ordered a 180 degree thermostat. I guess I never put much effort into it before :blush:. Also had the thought mine just might be jammed open...

I tore it apart October 2007 and drove it home from DGR in April 2011. So three and a half years. It is still a long way from being done, I consider this phase "development".

Just for fun, I have gone through since bringing it home:

2 custom log manifolds

2 downpipes

2 clutches

4 rearends

2 sets of half shafts

3 sets of wheels

5+ sets of tires

and around 20,000 miles

Got home from my Oregon trip to find these waiting for me

P1040481_zps0d065ce3.jpg

Yes the heater is most definitely working properly. I rebuilt the valve a la Julie's write-up, http://www.510coop.c...eted/heater.htm

I would like it to run in the 185-195 range but it will go all the way down to 140's or lower sometimes on the freeway at night or if cold out. My thermostat should be here Friday so I will make sure to install it over the weekend.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :thumbup:

Must. post. oic.

P1040482_zpsac761cf1.jpg

Centercaps popped on with custom sized Datsun stickers I got off of ebay

Good morning!

P1040513_zpsdef1eff7.jpg

I must say I have expected this would happen every time there is a storm. I am surprised the thing lasted 2 winters. I was headed out to work this morning at around 330 am and had to dump some water out of the cover that had collected. Everything seemed ok. I got a call about 45 min later from my girlfriend saying the thing was falling apart. Driving out Hwy 37 and back in a dark deluge is not fun. They just issued a flash flood warning, lol. One of the legs was leaning on my pass. fender but no damage. Having the side of the house to lean on saved the 510 from real injury. Lexus is ok too, phew, that's not mine :)

As you can see I was in the middle of some work on it, kinda hard to finish nao. Driver rear caliper is leakin like a sieve and I was planning on installing a thermostat today.