My bike engine Blowed Up. Dead Engine Thread

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which way should I go with the Zuma?

• Upgrade and keep dogging it.
    • Return to stock and sell it.

So I was cruising by my house on the Zuma and it dropped from 45 to 10mph :confused: I turned back up the and limped it back home, rolled it down the driveway, and put it on the kickstand. I had to hold the throttle a bit to keep it at idle. It wouldn't get over over 2k or so without losing power. I figured it was the crappy autolite plug I had put in the other day as a temporary fix. *CLANKITY CLANK* :huh: *engine dies* <_<. So I call a buddy to bring me a 13/16th. He comes by and I pull the plug. A 1 inch piece of piston ring had been hammered in to the spark plug :mellow: Well, it definitely lost spark! :fu: I haven't broken it down to inspect the damage yet. Best case scenario, I need a piston and rings- 20$ Or, it could have destroyed the walls, piston, and head. Won't know til I tear it apart. If it's real bad, I'm gonna bring it up to an 80cc, or replace the 50cc stock top end with 100 miles.

The good news. I guess I have to tag and insure my Datsun :hyper: So off to the shop I go to put the lights, hood, seats, bumper, and window cranks back on. Oh, and the stereo of course. That should be enough to get me to work and back. It look like so extremely ADD guy without a lot of body work experience or tools has been working on it :thumbup: Really Ratty Road pics soon to come.

Any BOOM GOES THE ENGINE stories should go in this thread.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my first car. 1971 Lincoln Continental. bought this car for $100. damn near flawless car except it would not turn over. i was told it needed a starter and battery and it would be fine. yeah right.... pulled the heads adn found the #7 con rod in the #8 cyl WITH the #8 rod. shattered both pistons and took a chunk out of the #8 cyl wall.

also a 73 Plymouth Scamp, 225 slant auto. i bought the car from a junkyard with a knocking motor. $300 for a near FLAWLESS car. when i pulled the valve cover i found a PERFECT mold of the inner valve cover in OIL residue. also found a case of Pennzoil in the trunk. wont EVER use Pennzoil in my cars because of that.

Had a guy rebuild the motor in my Z...5 months later driving home it sounds like valves hitting/nothing good...I later pull the engine to find a rag in the timing chain galley, which got chewed up and coated the oil pick up tube...aaand im still rebuilding it.. :mad:

First what the hell is a "zuma"?

Here is my engine story:

I had a POS (like all GM!) 1984 Pontiac Fiero with the "glass duke" 4 cylinder engine. I had this car for three months. Bought used in 1991 while I was still in school. Worked part time, could make my own $100 monthly payments. One day I am driving down the road after going to the lake with my girlfriend, all of a sudden there was a loud boom behind me, and the car dies. Coast to a stop and pull over. Get out and see a long black trail behind me. It had thrown the piston connector rod through the side of the block. Dad called the shady dealer, bank, all to no avail. Told them we were not paying for a car that didn't run, come get the piece of shit out of my yard!

Here is my engine story:

I had a POS (like all GM!) 1984 Pontiac Fiero with the "glass duke" 4 cylinder engine. I had this car for three months. Bought used in 1991 while I was still in school. Worked part time, could make my own $100 monthly payments. One day I am driving down the road after going to the lake with my girlfriend, all of a sudden there was a loud boom behind me, and the car dies. Coast to a stop and pull over. Get out and see a long black trail behind me. It had thrown the piston connector rod through the side of the block. Dad called the shady dealer, bank, all to no avail. Told them we were not paying for a car that didn't run, come get the piece of shit out of my yard!

Did it work ? (refund thingy)

The first iteration 4 cylinder Fiero was a piece of shit. The vast majority of them went up in smoke due to engine fires. The existing 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" had to be tilted to fit the available space. Unfortunately the crankcase then projected too low. "No Problem" just cut the corners off. So what if that reduced the oil capacity to an unsustainable volume and caused severe overheat. Did I mention engine fires?

Driving to Tualitin for work at 4am from Oregon City. Truck starts to lose power, oil light comes on then BANG. Pull over knocking like a bitch. Long story short buy new motor from GM and same thing happens 5k later. They back out on 100k mile warranty saying it was a valvecoer gasket leak wich was complete bullshit. Watch out for wentworth Chevy. Lying thieves

DSCF0790.jpg

A bad ass scooter.

I thought the 620 might have a bad headgasket. Before I did the timing kit I found oil on 2&3 plugs. Now they're covered in oil AND water. But hey! It runs like a great 2 cylinder! I drove it all the way home on 2 cylinders :thumbup:

I'll have to take a video before I tear it down. I got to go to Florida to play some music.

But I won't be without a datsun, hopefully. A friend of mine down there has a 67' 1600 that she told me I could have. Then a few years ago she told me she sold it for 3k$. It's still in her back yard. Apparently the 3k$ was more of a gift, and she still has the title. It's in pretty good shape, just recently got a rip in the top. Was parked because the clutch cylinder went out and there's a new one in a box waiting to be put on.

Driving to Tualitin for work at 4am from Oregon City. Truck starts to lose power, oil light comes on then BANG. Pull over knocking like a bitch. Long story short buy new motor from GM and same thing happens 5k later. They back out on 100k mile warranty saying it was a valvecoer gasket leak wich was complete bullshit. Watch out for wentworth Chevy. Lying thieves

DSCF0790.jpg

Sounds like a bait-n-switch on the "new engine" thing ..

sorry to hear that :(

Fix the zuma it's a two stroke so rebuilding it couldn't possibly get any easier. How many miles does it have? I have had a lot of 2t scoots and it usually helps to do a set of rings to freshen them up every thousand to 2k miles. I have a 72cc malossi bore kit on top of a CPI mosquito engine in one of my mopeds (it's a clone of the zuma engine). I drive it like it's stollen and flog the shit out of it because it was all of 300 bucks with no paper work. and a couple months back riding double full open up a hill the engine just went to mush same thing got too hot. Wouldn't go over 10mph etc. Checked the spark plug to make sure it hadn't just fouled and then took off the head. Little bits of smashed up ring everywhere. Fifteen bucks later it was good as new. Rebuild it those engines are good. Oh and ditch the auto oiler if you haven't already premixing can't go wrong and If that fails and you weld the piston you can pretty well call it done for.

Fix the zuma it's a two stroke so rebuilding it couldn't possibly get any easier. How many miles does it have? I have had a lot of 2t scoots and it usually helps to do a set of rings to freshen them up every thousand to 2k miles. I have a 72cc malossi bore kit on top of a CPI mosquito engine in one of my mopeds (it's a clone of the zuma engine). I drive it like it's stollen and flog the shit out of it because it was all of 300 bucks with no paper work. and a couple months back riding double full open up a hill the engine just went to mush same thing got too hot. Wouldn't go over 10mph etc. Checked the spark plug to make sure it hadn't just fouled and then took off the head. Little bits of smashed up ring everywhere. Fifteen bucks later it was good as new. Rebuild it those engines are good. Oh and ditch the auto oiler if you haven't already premixing can't go wrong and If that fails and you weld the piston you can pretty well call it done for.

8390 miles.

It was due for a rebuild at 7500

I'm moving to Florida, where they don't have "moped" laws. So I'm going to return to stock and sell :yawn: