Just joining, and recently got this

piraterumm

With regards to your steering.......I just put this up.....it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLYLDBbWNw

Just wanted to say this is going to help me alot cause i believe this is my exact problem. might be awhile tell i adjust it though. need time and my dads tools but hes in hillsburrito and im not. appreciate this alot. thanks !

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i cant really afford anything right now. im just trying to feed my truck right now more then myself. my truck can die from a little starvation i cant lol. I know i will get food i can wait. I will try and get some nice pics of under the hood up tomorrow. Its not the dirtiest but its not the cleanest. I would like to just polish out a few parts really. Some of me plans though are if I can get the time and the money is that a 5 speed would be really nice, and if I get really ambitious in the future I might want to swap out the motor for something bigger, but those things are just not in the cards, the time or the money. realistically I would like the ride height to be level. I would like the chrome headlamp covers that are like lashes and I my dad is making me a nice sleek small tubing roof rack for christmas. And eventually I need to get some different tires on those rims cause they are cracked in a few places and have no grip. kinda fun in the rain but to risky if something bad happens preferably some with a little street tread.

when doing brake masters remember the rod might need to be cut as they are most likely too long. as you mount it too the fire wall youll notice the threaded shaft will be too long and want to push the peadel farther out as you try to line up the pin hole. this will end up pushing the rad in thus giving brake pressure, YTou dont want to do this. the threaded rod is adjustable but still needs to be cut on most case as most are made in taiwan. Persoanlly you should buy 2 as they rarely last longer han 5 years. also the clutch master. 2 of them also
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brakes are all good to go :).  How easy is it to get a five speed. I dont really wanna do a engine swap yet cause im a bit lazy. But a five speed would make it alot easier on the engine. Im a dreamer though. plus all the little dings in it i wish were gone. nice and straight, but i dont know if i would be ready to get rid of this paint job yet. if i got the dents out i would want  to give it a nice new paint job. just throwing my ideas on here speaking my mind.

5 speed conversions can be a little confusing, there is no bolt in 5 speeds for a 521, there will be driveline and transmission mods needed at the very least with a dogleg 5 speed out of a 77-79 200SX, and there are longshaft 5 speeds(cheapest) that along with the mods already mentioned, you will need to relocate the shifter hole, which might require another bench seat if you are of short stature and have the bench seat forward any.

There is also the shortshaft 5 spd. transmission you can make, but that is another more expensive avenue, but it is a heavy duty transmission that doesn't require the relocation of the shifter hole, and has the normal shift pattern, unlike the dogleg shift pattern.

Any five speed from a car with a L-engine will bolt to your L-16.  Some five speeds transmissions are longer, that requires a shorter front half of the drive line, and modifying the transmission mount.

The bolt on flange that mates the transmission to the drive line will need to be changed to a slip joint.

You may need a longer speedometer cable.

The shifter may come out of the floor farther back.

There are several different five speeds out there.  Do some research, and go for it.

The pictures of the transmission mount in my long shaft 5 speed 521.

TransMount1.jpg

TransMount2.jpg

The shorter drive shaft, with slip yoke.

TransYoke1.jpg

TransYoke2.jpg

In this picture you can see the plate that the shifter comes out of.  This shifter is moved back, I cut a new hole in the cover plate, and actually used the metal cut out to fill the hole where the shifter was.010_7a.jpg

Having said all that, do not worry about the engine running at what seems like a high RPM.  The L-16 likes lots of RPM.  I believe peak torque on a L-16 is around 3600 RPM.  Red line on the engine is 7,000 RPM, Caution zone is 6,500.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its about freakin time i got these up. Ok so the roof rack isnt done yet but its close. I met a guy who gave me a camper meant for datsun 521's for free. The bug used to be mine but i sold it to one of my best friends who os restoring very well. Its a 61. Finally an engine bay pic. And the six hours i put into hand polishing the rims and it paying off. :)