Bye Bye Black Sheep :) Going from Black to White...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are moving along ... Bunch of progress Pics .... The Black that was on the car was supposedly some kind of sealer that the PO used.. the paint shop said it is real flaky and decided to strip the whole car down to bare metal .. they said it was super stright but for some reason someone decided ot put bondo all over it for no appearent reason that they could tell .. so its been totally stripped and now its starting to get skim coated.... here are some pics from last week..

misc-Initial-R0020611-2012_09_14_01_39_35-Copy.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020833-2012_09_18_20_20_38.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020835-2012_09_18_20_21_06.jpg

Fillin all holes that are not needed in the engine bay ...

misc-Initial-R0020926-2012_09_19_20_56_47.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020925-2012_09_19_20_56_40.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020832-2012_09_18_20_20_33-Copy.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020834-2012_09_18_20_20_45.jpg

misc-Initial-R0020610-2012_09_14_01_38_50-Copy.jpg

No Tri Coat here ... Im not looking for a metallic or pearl in my paint I am not a huge fan of metallic on older cars .. Going a single color. I am deciding between a few Off-White colors at the moment.. I am going to check out a couple spot tests of "Mercedes Arctic White" and "BMW Pepper White" .. so far, but keeping my eyes open for more options.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is now in full primer, going through another stage of block sanding .. The guys down at Fleet are doing an outstanding job so far, the attention to detail in this restoration is amazing.. I never thought my car could be so straight .. and they arent even done with the prep yet.

We are pulling out the steering box and idler next, my buddy is working on a rack and pinion conversion for me at the moment so got to make sure the area behind the steering box gets the same attention as the rest of the engine bay.

misc-Initial-R0021801-2012_10_11_01_22_32_zpsa319132e.jpg

misc-Initial-R0021803-2012_10_11_01_22_51_zpsaf0e07ca.jpg

misc-Initial-R0021802-2012_10_11_01_22_41_zps0fa0194d.jpg

I am still thinking about going pepper white, but since seeing that nice 620 on ebay I asked to have some #637 Eggshell white shot too so i can look at it in person.. looks like a real nice color and would keep the paint og datsun.

• 3 weeks later...

Fnck ya dude! Looks smooth as a baby's ass!

Nice choice of white too. Can't wait to see this go back together.

Who's putting it back together for you?

I bet you will get yours done and running before me and mine is 85% done..... hahaha

I have no time to do it right now....

Thanks man.

I'll be putting it together in the garage until i get to the drivetrain, I'll be dropping that in at the shop. I just got to make sure I pick a day when I can drop in the motor and button everything up in one day so I'm not taking up customer space.

First thing is getting a headliner so I can put the windows back in. I'm on the fence bout getting one made or buying a kit. If anyone can recommend someone in the south bay let me know.

I think I'll be picking it up on wed or thurs .. Got to clean out the garage To make room first though.

• Like 1

Was supposed to pick up the car today but the rain kept it in the shop ... Tomorrow is looking good to trailer it home though just in time for the weekend to start putting it back together..

I even got it a welcome home gift... Another set of SSR's

FFEFBAAA-B612-4AC9-B86F-B47307A38FE2-31644-0000300E23B6D6EA.jpg

Nice gift! Should have gotten it the Formula Meshies instead of the stepchild reverse Mesh.... Heheheh

Paint them Gold. White and gold go great together!

Can't wait to see it come together!

Yeah, have my eye on a set of formula meshies a friend of mine has in socal but woulda had to dish out some $$$ for em, these are good enough for now.. got them for cheap couldnt pass it up. The two pairs have different barrels the rear have a lip visible through the spokes and the front dont? you can see it in the pic if you look close ... not a ssr mesh expert but assume they are different models. still think they look good together as a set though.

I had them worked over already ... full polish new hardware and gold powdercoat. Ill got snap a couple pics when i get a min they are out in the garage...

See, we both think gold would look good!

Ya, the FM cost some grip. The Reverse are pretty affordable anyways. What are the specs?

I know what you mean about the different barrels. They are just different year releases.

As I understand it, they made the barrels different at a certain point. Same exact centers tho.

Same with my Hoshino Impul Pro Mesh. They are virtually twins to the Formula Mesh and I think made by the same people but Uber Rare.

The faux center lock nut adds a little flare to the wheel to....

HoshinoSafe.jpg

Hoshino2.jpg