521 Steering column modifications mklotz70

mklotz70

If you get it too tight, it will cause binding......unless your box is completely worn out.....then it might not.

yup watched the video!! plenty helpful!!

I doubt it's really worn, it just needs to be adjusted. the car only has 138k miles on it. I think.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Glad you liked them. Easiest way to get the vids is subscribe to my youtube channel. There's already about 135 vids on there already.

You might try the dealer. You can find the part in the factory parts manual that you can use/download from the Tech page at www.olddatsuns.com. You might be able to find one through a bearing supplier. You're in SoCal.....I'd just find another box in the scrapyard and swap it or at least get the bearings out of it. After 40 years, I think I'd just swap boxes rather than mate a used/worn bearing with a used/worn race. The race is probably replaceable, but if you're going to do that much work, just swap the box. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My lovely wife got me a 14' wood Grant with a 3592 adapter, Will the 4581 in your pic get rid of the gap and give horn ring contact? Maybe move it an inch for my gut?  The the 5 screw to 3 bolt wheel to adapter piece has arms that come up and bend in, I'm going to try cutting, heating and bending them out and drilll an d retap to shorten this part. And maaaaybe cut back on my beer consumption :blush:

• Like 1

Sorry...no part two.  I don't remember if I just didn't shoot any more vid or if it got messed up.  The 521 bell I had was correct, but the adapter wasn't.  The long screws that were in at an angle were to cancel the blinkers, but after looking at it again, the horn contact ring was nowhere close. 

It's on the list of stuff to play with.  Hopefully, after the ball joint mod is finished, I can get back to the steering column shortening.......which is how I prefer to correct the adapter problem, but that may not be for everyone :)

• Like 1

Well I rolled the dice and won. I saw an EBay listing for an adapter that fit 1967 datsun. It said in the listing "does not fit truck" but in the photo it looked like the one in the other post. I called and the lady said it was an old stock item and she didn't know. I bought it anyway and it fit perfect. The horn ring is where it should be , signals cancel and all it's adapter #3575

• Like 1

Sweet! Now we have a good number.  It doesn't show as an option on the Grant box.  Someone should email Grant and see if they still have any around.  One of these days, I'll get around to creating an adapter so that one of the commonly available adapters can be used on the trucks.

• Like 1

The trick was (after messing with various spacers) I slid an inch long section of rubber hose over the steering shaft to past the splines where it's smaller. Then the conical section in the adapter ( behind its splines) snugged up on the hose as the nut was tightened. I also had to tap the cancellation pins a little to stop hitting the turn signal

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...

So you're looking for a steering column and steering box?  His truck doesn't have one at all?  Craigslist? The For Sale or Want Ad forums on here? The FB versions?  Scrapyards?  Shipping would be extremely expensive so try to find one locally.  Good luck!!

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, 1969pickup said:

Thanks for your reply.

All of the steering column including

the gear box. 

This Is what  Dad is telling me ( he’s a 75 year old determined to male this truck run!   I hope this make sense. 
 Trying to help him put...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-DATSUN-NISSAN-G521-PICKUP-UTE-MODEL-1965-72-STEERING-GEARBOX-LHD-USED/324342692225?hash=item4b8454b981:g:OCkAAOSw9-Jfl0Xa

• Like 1