Aftermarket dash gauges

cjzeppy

I would like to install a new tach, speedo, gas, volt, and engine temp gauge in the dash, and I want to see some pictures of what everyone else has done. I'm not looking for original gauges, but if I can find something that looks vintage I'll retrofit them into the dash. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes these are a good option but no place to put the oil gas ect. although speedhut makes dual gauges. might be able to center on temp/gas opening only covering edge of gauge. these are fully customizible, background color(day and night) or have logo in center

• Like 1

Boaty, like the way you mounted that fuel gauge. The pics above are from my my car.

Cjzeppy, you can't go wrong with the Speedhut gauges. They fit so nice and work very well. They come with everything you need to connect them and the few mods I did to the cluster were pretty easy. Note that I used an OE tach that was non-functional for mounting the Speedhut tach. Removed the guts and modded the sub base to get it in the cluster.

• Like 1

It's a universal gauge, works with your current sensor.

Mine is a litlte finnicky. The sensor I think is bad (also brand new OEM from Nissan!)... think the ethanol hit it. Worked for like a week, has been hit and miss ever since.

Negatory on rear-side shots, I forgot to take some during install. (Was in a rush).

The fuel gauge required me to heat up the front bezel and expand the hole to fit the gauge. The stock opening is square-ish, and the gauge is slightly larger, and also round. Very easy. I did it with a lighter and a propane torch... hit it super quick to heat it up, use the lighter to mold out the opening. Get it too hot, and you destroy it. Not hot enough, the plastic doesn't stretch. Gotta be easy with it if you do it. Also have to massage the cluster housing and remove the old gauge (obviously). It's actually an interference fit, and the screw-on piece in the rear is just there to prevent it from falling out, but not there to tighten it down. The gauge is hard to move just by threading it into the stock hole. But it's not going anywhere unless I want it to.

I used the open pod (no tach) to mount the tach.

Speedhut gauges are barely over an inch deep.

PS - I used a non-gps speedometer, but I'm using the stock VSS off the KA24DE 5-speed. You'll have to run a VSS and modify it to fit the older trannies, or run a GPS speedometer. The GPS speedo's give you 1/4 mile, 0-60, and such as well - cool features that I didn't deem necessary. I also don't expect GPS to work forever, especially in the places I go. If my windshield mounted GPS has issues, I don't think a Speedo will hold up well either.

PS the speedo's are on a 5hz polling rate not a 1hz like most other GPS devices, in case anybody was wondering. (It is very accurate, as well.)

• Like 1

gps works great, but goin thru underpasses it drops out a sec or 2. if u go this route be sure to get the optional dimmer switch they make. gauge lights is ac voltage or high dc, figured that the hard way. the way i mounted mine, was on sheet of abs plastic. oem brackets on 521 cluster are removable, put them on abs sheet

• Like 1

I guess speedhut is the common choice. I will look into the prices, and slowly get them over the next few weeks. I also like the gas gauge position Boaty. I will more then likely get the GPS tach and the dimmer switch. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

dont forget u can choose background lighting too. but if u save up and buy three or gauges, they include the dimmer switch. i know what ur saying, expensive! the quality of them seems to be very good. i recommend running switched 12volt straight to the battery thru a relay. i wired into stock harness and gauges act a little weird with the headlights and such. i think it might be caused by a voltage drop.

• Like 1

dont forget u can choose background lighting too. but if u save up and buy three or gauges, they include the dimmer switch. i know what ur saying, expensive! the quality of them seems to be very good. i recommend running switched 12volt straight to the battery thru a relay. i wired into stock harness and gauges act a little weird with the headlights and such. i think it might be caused by a voltage drop.

If I run the volt gauge straight to the battery, won't it always stay on? Eventually that would drain the battery unless I disconnected it every time.

• Like 1

i recommend running a switched 12volt ... straight to the battery thru a Relay !

i wired into stock harness and gauges act a little weird with the headlights and such. i think it might be caused by a voltage drop.

If I run the volt gauge straight to the battery, won't it always stay on? Eventually that would drain the battery unless I disconnected it every time.

here ya go ! this is what I understood ^^^ :)

If you wire your Relay(s) correctly ,,, the gauge(s)/accesories/whatever you are wiring in ,, will not stay on/drain the battery with the key in "off" position or be troublesome !

Remember relay's are "electro-magnetic switches" in themselves ! ;)

if you don't have much experience with relays = here is a quick link that explains some basic's in relays that has pics !!! ( in general speaking not Datsun specific ! = http://www.r1200gs.i...owto/relay.html

I could be off on my interpretation in the first quote ^^^ as I have never worked with Speedhut gauges !

Good Luck !

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Boaty. I have a RHD 510 goon, and have a non-populated Bluebird dash panel I want to use. That's good info in your post. I'm likng the GPS speedo idea, as well..

No problemo!

Boaty is the oil pressure gauge a remote wire set up instead of a plastic line.

I like Autometer and VDO but never heard of speedhut(plus its made in USA which is even better?

All Speedhut gauges are electric, no mechanical gauges that I can recall.

Thus mine use electric sensors. I believe it's a three wire sensor, come to think of it.. would have to go out and look.

But it's not the bulky mechanical sensor like you usually get with Autometer and the like, it's just a pressure sensor similar to a temperature sensor. Small, doesn't interfere with anything. All of their sensors are 1/8" NPT, so you'll have to have adapters for Nissan stuff. Had to buy a NPT to BTPT adapter for the oil pressure, and ended up just using teflon tape for the temp sensor since the previous owner just jammed a sensor adapter in the KA manifold and called it good. Doesn't leak, so I don't stress.

I can take pics if people would like?

• Like 1

No problemo!

All Speedhut gauges are electric, no mechanical gauges that I can recall.
Thus mine use electric sensors. I believe it's a three wire sensor, come to think of it.. would have to go out and look.
But it's not the bulky mechanical sensor like you usually get with Autometer and the like, it's just a pressure sensor similar to a temperature sensor. Small, doesn't interfere with anything. All of their sensors are 1/8" NPT, so you'll have to have adapters for Nissan stuff. Had to buy a NPT to BTPT adapter for the oil pressure, and ended up just using teflon tape for the temp sensor since the previous owner just jammed a sensor adapter in the KA manifold and called it good. Doesn't leak, so I don't stress.

I can take pics if people would like?

I saw these guages installed in boatys car and they look OOOHHHH SOOOOOOO SWEET
they fit fantastic and looked like they belonged in the car from the factory
and BONUS YOU CAN ACTUALY SEE THEM AT NIGHT
  • Like 1

That's the best part. The fact that they aren't all bling bling is probably the best selling point.

I chose white with red needles. I could have done white needles, but was scared of how bright the needles would be judging by other people's pictures. Glad I went with red, since the needle portions of these gauges don't dim, only the background lighting does.

I am sure the needles could be dimmed with a dimmer switch/potentiometer but I'm not sure. Don't have one so I couldn't tell ya.

But they do look like they belong in there, and I would recommend them to anybody looking for quality aftermarket gauges, that aren't afraid to spend some money and get away from this bullshit you buy at <insert parts stores here>.

• Like 1