Like I needed this...

datsunaholic

The bids were so low it was too tempting. I didn't actually expect to WIN it with a single increment bid 3 hours before closing...

S_69-311-1.jpg

Sadly that's the GOOD side. The other side is a lot worse...

S_69-311-2.jpg

Quarter panel is disappearing. It got dark and so you can't see the passenger door, which has a huge dent and probably lousy bondo under the dent. I actually have all 4 of the Western mesh wheels, the rear was flat and I had to improvise to get it drug home.

S_69-311-3.jpg

Interior is kind of stripped. Car is full of walnut shells. The stripped interior has probably saved the floors though, since there is no longer a driver's side window. The remains are rattling around in the door. There's also no driver's door panel.

S_69-311-4.jpg

Engine is mostly there, but I doubt it's any good. There's no hoses or an oil filter. Was all left open to the elements. Master cyl is missing a cap, and dry, but that was expected. Radiator is behind the seats, and looks "pious". The fan actually has a Nissan Part sticker on it.

That's the GOOD news.

The BAD news is I don't have a key for the doors or trunk (do have an ignition key) and the trunk is locked. God knows what's in there. Probably Jimmy Hoffa. The glovebox was just walnut shells, all paperwork long ago eaten. According to the plates the car hasn't been licensed since 1981. Tires are certainly of that vintage. They're OLD. Windshield has the standard right-through-the vision crack. Missing over half the trim (and the one badge left is broken so it reads "DATSUZ"). Prior owner added bolt-on amber bullet turn signals and inside, there are amber clearance lights for interior lighting. Can't get a good pic of those now because it's dark and they're buried under parts that don't belong to the car (like a V-8 air cleaner which probably went to a different car in the auction, but who knows).

I have absolutely NO idea what I'm going to do with this thing. To me, it's really rusty (I don't do bodywork, and I especially don't fix rust). The floors are actually surprising and there are a couple common rust areas that it still has intact, but those rear quarters are outside my talent. Plus, Roadsters are notorious money pits. I don't need another money pit- I already have 2 money pit houses and a boat. However the auction had it going for near scrap price, and i couldn't resist, especially since it was only 2 miles away. The hardtop looks to be in decent shape. Other than that, once the title shows up I'll probably just turn around and sell it on the Roadster market. I guess i can try to see if the engine still even bars over. I'm doubtful. It's a 1600 so it's not THAT valuable, at least compared with at 2000, but hell I don't know. If it's still here in October it'll head up to the barn I guess.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,it used to be a half mile. I walked there once when all my cars were dead on a Wednesday Night (which was auction night when they did live public auto auctions) and drove home an '85 Mercury Colony Park. I had intended to get a Maxima wagon, but when they drove it through the ring it smoked up the whole building.

Around 2001-2002 the auction house moved to Fife, but it's in South Tacoma now. They don't do live auto auctions anymore. Just internet.

As for this roadster, I'm not going to part it out. I don't have the time to strip and ship. Once I get the title and figure out how to open the trunk WITHOUT damaging it, I'll probably find someone who'll buy the whole thing. If not, in the barn it goes after some preservation efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a thread on 311s.org on how to open a roadster trunk with a coat hanger. Once you get it open, read the thread on how to make a remote pull that hangs down under the rear bumper so that you never have this problem again. Another option is to just go get a tetanus shot and try sticking your arm up through the rusted out quarter panel and unlatch the damn thing. Good luck and watch out for spiders.

The quarter panel isn't that rusted out. Can't see inside the trunk, anyway.

I've been trying to "bump" the lock with various keys I have laying around. Just haven't spent much time on it.

I got the "registration" in the mail, it's a little odd. Usually it shows when the tabs expired (even if it was years ago), but it shows 00/00/0000 for the expiration date. It does show a date for the plate issue (says 1979).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got the trunk open. It was full of walnut shells, and had a pair of homemade wooden wheel ramps that weighed 30 pounds each. No parts. Trunk is totally rusted out inside. So is the gas tank top apparently, as it reeked of 35 years stale gasoline.

The key that got it open? The canopy key off my '79 620. Had to bump the lock, but no damage done.

• 3 months later...