Datsun 1200 suspension mods

Morrisun

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a delay in getting the bushings this week because I added to the total number of sets I am ordering from John and he has orders in front of mine, so shooting for next Friday. Also wasn't expecting this kind of response!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Doug, That datsun Comp suspension manual for the 1200 is pretty cool, I've looked thru one before, its got some interesting full sized prints for bending up your own rear sway bar & other cool stuff. BTW apologies for not getting back to you regarding the f10 stuff, thanks for taking the time to look for me. I got extremely busy then left town for 2 1/2 weeks, haven't done anything on it since.

How's it ride with solid bushings?

Evan

Evan:

Yes I followed the specs in the Datsun Comp Suspension manual and had them machined to those demensions. I installed the test set, machine by Mike Klotz, in Smurf and was convinced, with the first drive, this was way better than stock. Didn't notice much if any change in the ride quality, but the rear end stayed in place, it didn't move around when get on and off the gas, it felt firm. Drove it that way for a couple of weeks and then installed polyurethrane bushings, only in the front spring eye of the leaf springs and now it's abit harsh. I am thankful for closed cell foam in the front seats! No worries about the F10 stuff, as I am often reminded "when you work for yourself-work comes first!" not that we would rather be doing something else, but...

so did it squeak at all or did you grease them up pretty good first? I actually have a complete set of OE rear spring eye bushings for a 1200 still, bought 2 sets for the hell of it when I could get them. My suspension is all new & it seems to ride pretty decently so maybe the upgrade to all steel is more noticeable when replacing older bushings. good innovation on your part though.

Hey - side note - you dont have a new late model A series cam shaft do you (A15) ? I wiped a lobe on mine - boo hoo - & am wondering if I should put a stock nissan cam in vs. another reground one - thoughts?

Yes the stock rubber bushings in the chassis of Smurf were well worn OR worn out. The only camshaft for and A15 that I have is in 225,000 mile engine and they maybe all wiped out. Remembered when I got my flat top A14 engine, the builder gave me a zinc additive that was design to protect the cam shaft-Mine too was ground at Delta, in Tacoma, during break in, I haven't installed engine in my Morris van yet so don't know if it solves the problem-Hope So!

edp,

do you have an "extra" pair of the large front eye bushings for the leafs? we are finishing up the rear and got all other bushings including a set of these from doug, but can't find those. i may have a pair coming from china, but waiting to see if that is actually going to come through. looking to go with the OE rubber, not poly....

should have all else done and on the road this weekend, update with pics and new build thread coming soon. even with the old front eye bushings, the leafs now seem rock solid.

The factory Competition Suspension manual recommended:

1. Replace the spring eye bushings with "Delrin" bushings. That's similar to Nolathane/Urethane, right? Which need to be greased. Yes they are harsh.

2. Replace the rubber bushings that go in the frame with metal bushing (Doug/Mike's post here)

Whatever you do, don't replace all three with metal bushings. It needs to have a minimum of give, and the bottom bushing needs to rotate.

The Delrin is nearly rock hard. It's not self lubricating like nylon, but it machines like butter and handles higher temperatures. You can dent urethane with a fingernail.....not delrin. It will squeak eventually once it gets it's surface polished by wear. It would work in the spring eye, but not the frame/shackle position. It would be okay for a race car, but even the urethane is really harsh according to Doug.