Datsun 1200 suspension mods

Morrisun

I decided to start new topic around suspension. These little cars are a blast to drive and improving the handling -well it adds to the fun!

When I drive Smurf and get on and off the gas I could feel the rear end of the car move around, and doing a little hard connering- on the same conner, the result was always different...The NISMO Suspension book for 1200's recomends replacing the rubber chassis bushing for the front leaf spring hanger with alumiunm bushings. Since mine is street car, I went with steel it's simlar metal thing.

photo.jpg

I once again I enlisted the services of Mike Klotz to make 1 set of bushings as a prototype.

P8231480.jpg

Started with this piece of stock DOM 1.125 OD and 0.5 ID, and Mike made these bushings.

P8221471.jpg

This shows what was being replaced.

P8231481.jpg

And this shows why- the larger ones were in the front spring eye.

P8221473.jpg

Bushings stripped out of spring and chassis.

P8221476.jpg

Using 1/2" bolt and nut pulled the bushings into the chassis-bushings were made to have a press in fit.

P8221475.jpg

P8221477.jpg

P8221478.jpg

Pressed until flush.

P8221474.jpg

And yes leaf spring bushings need replaced and that's next. Thanks again to Mike Klotz-video??

Even with spring bushing needing replaced it connered better.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like them, but I can't take any credit here.....let alone lay any claims to being a genius. Doug came up with this information.....I simply machined a set for him so that he could double check fit and get some pics to check interest. It seems they've done their job. :)

Yes, they will be available. I hooked Morrisun up with Datrod and 60 pieces will be made......hhmmm.....that doesn't come out even if there's 8 pcs per set....that number needs to be upped by 4. Read my signature. :)

As for the brakes....they were also Doug's idea. He told me what he wanted and we went from there. He was very specific and that made it pretty easy to narrow down the donor parts. Anyway..... it will be a few weeks, possibly, for the parts to reach Doug, but if you want a set, pm him to make arrangements.

Nope. The original design called for aluminum, but Doug wanted them in steel so that they wouldn't have that dissimilar/galvanic corrosion problem. You could hit them with a bit of paint, but they're a press in....it's assumed you're not removing them. But, it would probably be a good idea to put some anti-seize on the bracket bolts that go through them.....which should address the issue you're asking about.

....and Thanks :)

Doug, and Mike, you guys are a great team. I've forgotten how these little cars handle, as the last two that I owned was in 1998!!! I will probably be needing to tighten up the rear suspension on mine as my project won't have stock power.

---Craig

Copy2ofneisiweekbuishings014.jpg

This is what I started with. Mike used tubing for the first set. But I had this just sitting here so I used it.

1045 poor mans 4340. Good mat'l.

Copy2ofneisiweekbuishings012.jpg

In the chuck ready for some action..

Copy2ofneisiweekbuishings013.jpg

The tools I used.

Copy2ofneisiweekbuishings015.jpg

And the finished product.. I'll be shipping these up to doug tomorrow.

:) They're purdy!!!!! Thanks John!!!! I'd have gone nuts trying to do 64 of them suckers manually!! I'm guessing the cycle time was under a minute?

Just over!!!

i am in for a set. keep me posted. just drove our little guy home from the shop this weekend for the first time and need to verify wheel clearance for the brake kit. not too mention working out all the little kinks from a car needing serious CPR to get moving again. look for a new post with "oics" coming soon.