620 QA1 coilover conversion clearance issue

BenJammin

So I welded on Beebani's 620 coilover conversion brackets and thought I had spaced out the lca mount far enough for clearance between the coilover and shock tower (and to account for topping/bottoming out the shock during suspension travel).

However, now that the weight of the truck is applied it appears the coilover is making contact with the shock tower around the top 2 coils. Not enough to visually deflect the spring or anything, but definately touching.

So a few questions:

1 - Does the spring increase in diameter slightly when the weight of the truck is applied ?

2 - Is this bad ?

3 - Anyone else experienced this on their conversion ?

4 - Is this a complete f-up on my part not getting the lca mount out far enough?

Fyi, I haven't actually had the truck on the road since the conversion, so I have no data on how it behaves yet.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I welded on Beebani's 620 coilover conversion brackets and thought I had spaced out the lca mount far enough for clearance between the coilover and shock tower (and to account for topping/bottoming out the shock during suspension travel).

However, now that the weight of the truck is applied it now it looks like the coilover is making contact with the shock tower around the top 2 coils. Not enough to visually deflect the spring or anything, but definately touching.

So a few questions:

1 - Does the spring increase in diameter slightly when the weight of the truck is applied ?

Somewhat.

2 - Is this bad ?

Depends on how much it's hitting, it may self clearance the spring or the shock tower.

3 - Anyone else experienced this on their conversion ?

Haven't used Bees brackets

4 - Is this a complete f-up on my part not getting the lca mount out far enough?

I would move the lower mount out a bit.

Fyi, I haven't actually had the truck on the road since the conversion, so I have no data on how it behaves yet.

This is why you want to tack everything up and then cycle the suspension before burning everything in for good. Take it as a fab lesson and move the mount. This will not be the last time you will have to change something during a fab project, trust me. :)

Thanks for the input Redeye. I did it when it was just the frame, no motor and wanted to get everything painted before going further, so that's why I did the 'full burn'. <slaps self on forehead>

I hear you though... sometimes you just have to suck it up and re-do stuff.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1345740134' post='744811']

Do you have a build thread yet? :D

Thinking about it, just wanted to get her closer to being done. I've just seen too many 'not there yet' and 'gave up, selling everything' threads. I definately owe a lot of gratitude to the pioneers here though !

Thinking about it, just wanted to get her closer to being done. I've just seen too many 'not there yet' and 'gave up, selling everything' threads. I definately owe a lot of gratitude to the pioneers here though !

I agree I'm not doing mine until at least paint. Mine is such a slow build it would bore everyone to tears. Would love an oic of of that coilover when done :thumbup:

would this coilover mount conversion work if im lifting the truck or is it juat for lowered trucks?

Beebani made the mounts. I've never lifted a truck, so I'm not sure how the coilover mounts figure into that kind of geometry.

Bee's interests (as far as our trucks) seems to center around getting stuff closer to the ground, but maybe he can help you out if you contact him directly. He made a post up higher in this thread. which btw, thanks again Bee for the input :cool: ... I will definately check that angle !

Bass, no offense but you may want to just PM Beebani directly or start a new thread. My concerns have pretty much been answered, so I'm not worried about the thread jack so much but you may not get answers as quick because your questions are OT in this thread.