Air Cleaner Widget

zenndog

My L320 has a J13 in it. I think the air cleaner is the stock 320 air cleaner but I am not sure.

Either way, there is a gap between the air filter housing and the top of the carb. When I got the truck there was a stock seeming plastic spacer ( widget ) which promptly fell apart after a couple of remove/replace cycles. I rigged it with some electrical tape. Move forward 4 years and after sitting for a year with a clogged non functioning carb, as part of repairing the carb, I decided to make a new widget and remove the tape forever.

Here is the air filter housing and carb

P1010935.jpg

P1010936.jpg

Here is my second sketch, the first was over thought and scrapped.

P1010944.jpg

Here is the chunk of aluminum on the chucker

P1010940.jpg

Here is the widget on the carb and bottom/top of the air filter housing

P1010941.jpg

P1010942.jpg

P1010943.jpg

I am happy to say that the truck started after a year in mothball, I can pretend that the widget made all the difference even though I know better!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't check in the bed to find the tightening screw with the triangle tip that broke off. I think I tossed it in there a year ago and i plan to weld it to a new piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod to fix the screw. Should get it done by next year....... :blush:

I will try to get a better pic also, I didn't show how i put two slits in the spacer so it will allow the filter housing to tighten on to the carb.

A couple people asked, this is a link to the guy who rebuilt the carb

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodman-carburetor-and-fuel-injection-inc-arleta

He charges around $190, I talked him down a little but I was there in person and had cash. It took one day. He is a bit of a character but I have used him before. Not sure how it would be to deal with him through the mail. He builds the kit from various other bits and won't sell it separate....I tried to buy a rebuild kit from him but had to cough up the dough.

I did slit it, I will take a pic the next time I am in LA.

I need to take off the air filter housing again to fix the tightening screw.

The air filter housing has three bolts that hold it to the engine with brackets besides the screw that tightens the housing to the carb.