What I'm working with!

uberkevin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got my quote back from AAA. For my 1970 521 ($119 @ $10K), 1978 VW Scirocco ($62 @ $10K) and the 1974 BMW 2002 ($62 @ $21K) for a grand total of $277 per year, 6000 miles per year each car.

I do have to pay the $100 membership fee though so more like $377 for a year.

This is "collectors" insurance. There are discounts for alarms and I have to take pictures of all 4 sides and engines. They also give discounts for associated Car Clubs.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The AAA collector car insurance sounds great. But AAA Texas doesn't seem to offer it. I wonder if another company does have something like this in Texas?

Try Hagerty and Heacock. They both deal with classic cars. Don't even think about it if you are under 25 and the car is in your name. I'm 22 but my '72 240z is in my mothers name, solely for this reason. We went to Hagerty and they took as for a trip, TWICE. The first time we took all the pictures they wanted, showed the garage, marked the car as restoration. They came back and said "sorry its not show car quality" ......................... YOU HAVE A SPOT ON THE APPLICATION FOR RESTORATION, WHY? Mind you, when my mother called, she said "my sons car".

Fast forward a year, All State says they can offer Hagerty insurance. I guess they would act as the middle man. Alright I'll bite, actually Mom will bite. So again $10k coverage, I paid for regular insurance on the car (it was previously uninsured since its taken all apart) while we waited to hear back from Hagerty because I need to renew my Antique registration and you need proof of insurance. Hagerty hadn't made up their mind after a week, who knows why... So we call up our Allstate lady who is handling it, asked if both of us could be authorized drivers. I can't be the only authorized, I'm only 22. She mentions it to them. Oh shit here we go again."NO YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT, YOU CAN'T BE ON THERE" Alright fine then my mom will be the "authorized driver".

Keep in mind with Antique registration, I am exempt from having to get inspected, registration is $50, lasts 5 years, and you can't routinely drive it. Don't know if there is a mileage limit but basically only car shows, parades, maintenance, that sort of use on the road. PLUS the car isn't even running.

Hagerty says we'll get back to you on that... I tell my mom that we're going to call up and wrestle these fuckers on the phone if I don't hear from them in two weeks because right now I'm paying for standard insurance on TWO cars. One thing to run me around, another thing to fuck with my money. Hadn't heard from them in two weeks, shit storm is beginning. We call up and say what the hell is going on, if you don't want to insure me then just say NO and tell me the REAL reason. You guys keep taking me on a ride, telling me it isn't show car quality, not responding hoping I will let it go. "Well we're worried that since you son is an authorized driver for a '71 521 on your Allstate insurance, that he will drive the 240Z" ............................ what he is authorized to drive isn't your worry, the car is registered as an Antique and doesn't even run. It isn't going anywhere any time soon, and it wouldn't go anywhere if it could unless he wants to get pulled over every 5 minutes.

Long story short, took forever, have Hagerty for $160/year for 500 or 1000 miles @ $10k coverage or maybe its $12k I forget. Be older than 25 and don't let your kids drive/be insured for your other older cars otherwise they shit bricks. No membership fee. Actually, in the $160 price there is a membership to roadside assistance I think. That was like $30

Thanks for asking tanker. The truck is running. I ran in to a few problems with the l18 I built... head gasket on my lunch break. Was able to get it home with the pathfinder once I got it home I already had the thought of my father in laws L20b in my 521 so that's what I did ha! :D It nice he put some flat top pistons in it along with some sort of cam. He had it in a 620 he's had for ever, he did drive the shit out of it put a Detroit locker in it with some big ass 4x4 tires, finders cut. He took it in the sand all the time. Ha it how ever was sitting for maybe 25 years but she fired right up so I put a in leaking 4 speed I got off CL for 20 bucks '80s 510 tranny'

..... the other day how ever I was driving home and my truck started ticking, at first I thought it was a loss bolt or a bad gasket.. I took off the manifolds and put on a new gasket. Well I was down there I seen a maybe 1/4in gap blown out the side, little wires under the head..... I didint think to much about it at the time but put everything back on to spec. Fired her up and the ticking was still there so I put my hand down near where I seen the gap and I could feel air coming from this small gap....

That's were I'm at. I'll be driving over to flatcats place tomorrow so I'll see how that goes maybe bring the new head gasket I got and after we scarp some stuff put the gasket on. Luckily tomorrow's the day off.

Maybe check your down pipe clearance with the tranny? Mine was hitting which left a big gap on the exhaust sealing surface. I double gasket'd the downpipe flange and the intake, after I had beaten on the exhaust pipe.

I'm sure you already know that 4th gear 1:1 ratio with a stock rear end is kinda killer. I scream doing 60MPH in 4th. Big tires will change that. How is the power on yours? I rebuild a stock L20B and I have a Weber DGV that came off of a J13. Runs great, I get 27-28MPG in the summer, but my top speed is like 85-90MPH flat out in 5th. Really gutless. Hauling a 1000lbs of wood in the bed, flooring it up a relatively steep grade in 4th gear and I was doing like 65MPH. Come to the conclusion that the higher RPM's are choked with that carb, the lower RPM's it can really chug from idle easily.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I feel like I should have more power.... If you're going with the big wheels, you're really going to feel the sap of power I hear.

• 4 months later...

Shit yeah I do!

I dont have a computer anymore so I'm always on ratsun with my phone. It sucks using to update cuz uploading photos is a bitch for some reason on it.

Really not much has changed. Still no disc brakes no white rallies on. L20b is a beast with the dual SUs I picked up from EagleAdam thanks again man!

While I picked up the SUs I also picked up a Ka24e.

I'm slowly rebuilding that. So far I've got it torn down, honed, hot tanked and a timing kit from...... a site Eagle told me about. Can't remember the name right now..

Taking things slow cuz Im still moving to Olympia and I need to say moneys for that.

My truck is still my daily! :) well not in the crazy wind we have here. I'll get some photos on this here thread soon for you all too.

I've had had fliters, cleaners whatever they are called but I took them off this one time and fucked them up. That wasn't to long ago. I'm thinking ill go to the Harley Davidson shop in Kennewick or maybe the Honda quad place, to get some filters. But with all this wind I'm not driving my truck at all.. so I hope it dies down tomorrow so I can pick something up.

300$ that I could have put into the datto. Buut shit happens I know I was in the wrong so I paid it the next day.

I found out the other day my girlfriends grandpa has an old tool to put tires on rims. He didnt say the name so I don't know what it is really but I know it helps put tires on rims ha so that should be happening soon. Well I want to sand a few again so I'll do that then paint them and put them on. Flatcat could balance them for me maybe? If not then that's fine hell he said he'd help put the tires on the rims but I have a chance to learn something new so I'll get this from grandpa.

I've had had fliters, cleaners whatever they are called but I took them off this one time and fucked them up. That wasn't to long ago. I'm thinking ill go to the Harley Davidson shop in Kennewick or maybe the Honda quad place, to get some filters. But with all this wind I'm not driving my truck at all.. so I hope it dies down tomorrow so I can pick something up.

I would do stacks the he'll with air cleaners.