New member checking in! 1973 Datsun 620

Hey guys, names Cody, from Emmett Idaho. Ive found myself really loving the datsun seen a lot lately, and so has the girlfriend.. so as i have my evo as my dd and semi-track car, my girlfriend wanted to do a fun project together.

Then i met Gage Munson(im aware that a lot of you know him on here) and fell in love with his 620. So my love for 510's dropped a little and my interest for 620's grew substantially. Same with my girlfriend haha. So she convinced me that's what she wanted to build.

So the journey to find a 620 began.

I was getting desperate to find one after all the ones on CL had sold but the seller had yet to take the ad down getting my hopes up like crazy haha.

So me and Gage roamed downtown nampa, looking in yards, driveways, for any sort of 521 or 620. We found a few but the owners were educated, and were not willing to seperate from their loves, i couldnt blame them.

So it was 8 o'clock Thursday night, sitting in McDonalds parking lot, roaming eastern oregon CL. Found a 73 620 in Umatilla(4 and a half hours from our location) and decided to call, he told me and gage that it was too late to look at it and that we could come saturday, so finally my other buddy said "Give me his number."

Jessie- "Hi im calling about your ad on CL"

Seller-"Yes i still have it"

Jessie-"I'll bring you 950 cash tonight"

Seller-"Well i go to bed early"

Jessie-"I have cash and i want it tonigh"

Seller-"You'll buy it tonight?"

Jessie-"Yup"

Seller-"Okay see you soon".

So then our 11 hour drive to get a datsun began, mobbed the evo to umatila, met the guy, checked out the truck, fell in love, got a great deal, then brought her home.

Drove all the way back to emmett with NO problems besides a fuse going for the headlights which Gage knew instantly what that was and fixed it in two seconds haha.

So i got it home and started doing work.

It was originally a brownish/yellow color but was painted blue, paint job isnt that bad.

It was all stock, l16b, with a webber carb. Had a pioneer deck, and speakers, and an aftermarket tach(unfortunately:(..)

Its a 4 speed.

So i brought it home, through the deck back in it and fixed that, put the door panels back on, cleaned up the interior a lot, screwed in the falling out dash, and did a few more things, then i rhino lined the bed, painted the front grill black, and did the brights yellow, also i through a wink mirror in it, new seat cover, and shift knob.

I also bought a cut-to-fit carpet piece from Autozone and custom made a dash mat to work for now haha. It actually looks very decent.

As for ordered parts i ordered fender mirrors, i bought lowering blocks and will turn the tortion bars too.

The girlfriend wants it white, then we'll leave the stock wheels for now and do the inlays turquoise and the center caps polished. We're going fish-bowl status(no tint).

My buddy has an extra KA24-de at his house, so if i can get a wiring harness and a 5speed then our truck is a good canidate;)

Well that's all for now, i'll post pics along the process as i can.

Good day 'gents!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right after we picker her up

IMG_0448.jpg

Got her home and was tired of the ugly grill and one thing i lvoeeee on these are the yellow brights, so i took care of that real quick:D

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Then the bed needed a little attention so we through some rhino lining on her

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

The interior needed a make over, it had a horrible seat cover, it was in good shape but made my back itch like crazy haha. Also needed a few pieces screwed back in, needed a dash mat so i just got some universal carpett from autozone and "custom" made one haha Also fixed the stereo and stuff also.

P1013887.jpg

Then here's a few from all around the truck, and after my relocation kit for the front plate. Rear bumper and mudflaps will be coming off soon.

P1013881.jpg

P1013882.jpg

P1013884.jpg

P1013890.jpg

Then heres my two babies.

P1013896.jpg

ALSO SORRY FOR QUALITY OF PICS YOU GUYS, IM TOO TIRED TO GO OUT AND DO A PHOTO SHOOT, I ASSURE YOU I AM A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER THAN THIS, JUST LAZY SUNDAY. haha.

we do need to get this thing on the ground

Lets get it on the ground!

Great story and great find.

Larry

Thank you!

That original colour you had was " butterscotch " and a favorite among enthusiasts. NOt to mention being the colour of my last 620! If you ever decide to paint, bring back that original glory mate!

Yeah that original color is sickkk i agree but the girlfriend wants it white so that's what we are going with:)