smoke what?

Meticulous

So my car smokes but only in the morning or after it sits for awhile, cuz i drive it all day everyday each way the right way......clears up during the day almost no smoke all day....why does it smoke? Piston rings? I was told valve seals were why so I threw on new ones...still smokes....

Should I do a compression test? if so what should the instrument read? I have yet to buy a book for my car lol its to easy with this site to figure out my car.

Also when i first start her up in the morning she revs really high but in neutral only, i depress the clutch and put it in any gear she comes down close to idle but still high, put the stick in neutral at anytime before she is warm she revs back up....... weirdest thing really. or is this some sort of cold start thing im now aware of?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it smokes when you're on the gas pedal, it's rings. If it smokes on decel, it's valve guides and/or stem seals(more common of the two).

If it smokes only after it's been sitting, chances are it's most likely the valve stem seals, but could be the valve guides.. what happens is, the oil runs down the valves after it's been sitting, then burns off as soon as you start it up. It's easy to nick the edge of a valve stem seal when putting it on, which is why they come with the little plastic boot to put over the top of the valve. Is there a chance one of them was damaged?

my guides had a slightly noticeable amount of play in them, and mine doesnt smoke. its been about 3 months since i changed them. have you pulled the pcv hose off the pcv valve, and from the end going into the filter box, then pulling the oil cap off and revving it? if its an l-series its normal to see big drops since its OHC, but you shouldn't see smoke or heavy vapors. If you do, then its almost always rings. it helps to hold something dark behind the oil cap hole so you have good contrast to see if anything is coming out. I guess the vapors or smoke could be caused by a blown head gasket in some cases, but you dont have the other symptoms of that.

should i just get the valve guides reamed and install new thicker valves?

This is going to cost more than a second hand head. (with new seals)

You don't mention how much oil your car uses.

Warm the engine and do a compression test. Repeat the test using a couple of squirts of oil in the plug hole. If the numbers jump up higher then the rings are well worn.

Also when i first start her up in the morning she revs really high but in neutral only, i depress the clutch and put it in any gear she comes down close to idle but still high, put the stick in neutral at anytime before she is warm she revs back up....... weirdest thing really. or is this some sort of cold start thing im now aware of?

Normal for a carb starting up cold. The choke is on and a fast idle cam keeps the motor revved up to warm the motor faster.

• Like 1

my guides had a slightly noticeable amount of play in them, and mine doesnt smoke. its been about 3 months since i changed them. have you pulled the pcv hose off the pcv valve, and from the end going into the filter box, then pulling the oil cap off and revving it? if its an l-series its normal to see big drops since its OHC, but you shouldn't see smoke or heavy vapors. If you do, then its almost always rings. it helps to hold something dark behind the oil cap hole so you have good contrast to see if anything is coming out. I guess the vapors or smoke could be caused by a blown head gasket in some cases, but you dont have the other symptoms of that.

It is an A series motor, thanks man.

mines an a series

It is an A series motor, thanks man.

i should have noted that i seen you had a 210. i did all this on an a series too. its easier cuz it doesn't fling oil like an OHC, so if you see anything fine or steam-like coming out of the valve cover at all at lower rpms, i'm 99.9% sure it's bad rings. you could still drive it like that if you wanted though. my friend's got a 94 jeep with 260k miles on it and its a steady stream of vapors when you pull the oil cap off. It looks like a boiling kettle just blowing steam-like vapors out. His runs perfect still and has power to spare, which seems odd to me.

Seriously? You work at a parts counter. They come in every bag of valve stem seals.

78393d1268539496-valve-stem-seals-valve-stem-seal-kit.jpg

i got mine from rock auto and they didn't have those. And i'm not even gonna comment on what they look like. I'll just say you better wrap that valve stem before you seal it.

Plastic boot for valve stem seals? I've never seen those. Just coat them with grease and slide them in. Works like a charm.

A series don't exactly 'slide' off and on. Total PITA to be honest.

Seriously? You work at a parts counter. They come in every bag of valve stem seals.

Get in the ZONE! :rofl:

If you suspect stuck rings (low compression and blow-by) try some SeaFoam. I've had good luck freeing up rings with that.

Sounds like you're right at the tipping point. Should you just find a better used engine with lower miles or do a refresh on the one you have? That's up to you and depends on your skill level. My A15 was using a ton of oil, had blow-by and was smoking a bit. Turned the guides were shot AND the rings were stuck. I sent the head out to the machine shop for a resurface, grind and guides. Ordered up a set of std rings and gaskets and went to work. The total was under $300 and it was done in under a week. When it was finished I had a strong engine that didn't leak, used no oil, had fresh paint, and ran great.

...or you could just keep an eye on the oil level and just drive it.

This is going to cost more than a second hand head. (with new seals)

You don't mention how much oil your car uses.

Warm the engine and do a compression test. Repeat the test using a couple of squirts of oil in the plug hole. If the numbers jump up higher then the rings are well worn.

Normal for a carb starting up cold. The choke is on and a fast idle cam keeps the motor revved up to warm the motor faster.

oh sorry, my car uses very little oil, maybe half a quart a month maybe a lil more then that. literally only smokes when i first start it in the morning, nothing at all throughout the rest of the day.ill let you guys know what my compression is when i get the chance, before and after the "oil squirts". thanks guys.

Most likely seals then. It's the easiest cheapest thing to try and can be done with the head on. If you were rebuilding it you would have to anyway.

I just replaced the seals, thought i did a good job too lol then again maybe im not as good as i think i am haha