Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea saw the plug and popped it-

I actually do have a working cigarette lighter! - but a radar detector will probably take that plug soon-

Tested it with the new alternator- all good 13.5+ with all the lights on-

Although realized my front signals aren't working anymore... The lights are on but they don't flash... Found a few threads on it- going to check the 4 way flashers first-

Pulled the dash/cluster off last night and just put it right back on- lol - that's alot of wires-

No love for the 510 today since im in NYC all day -

Although realized my front signals aren't working anymore...????

so they were working?????????

swap the blnker cans.

emergency swithc should be installed. when off its a completetion circut for the turn signals.

This the turn signal stop working when you pulled the dash. I think there is a grn wire that needs to be hooked up also.

I think a volt meter is more important that a radar dector as we are older now and drive more conservative. I seen more datsun go down to notmonitoring the battery systems. then on side of the road.

^what he said!

And chances are, IF you ever get pulled over the cop will more than likely BS with you and let you go for a warning.

I had a headlight out on my 510 when i was driving it from Fresno, got pulled over on the Oklahoma turnpike(had all my papers of course)...which i thought i was speeding cuz i didn't have a working speedo at the time. got let off with a warning after we BS for about 10-15 minutes. Told him about Ratsun, he wrote down the website, said he was looking for a good project... (so if you are on here Steve, hope you found a good car, lol)

Mine has less work done to it than yours, and i can cruise 70mph easy...you'd be surprise what these motors can dish out with a little massaging and care.

my father-in-law raves about this thing called a battery buddy... basically its a battery regulator just in case voltage were to drop below 12v, it will disconnect the battery automatically, and reconnect it when you get back to your ride, saving your juice for when you need it. not sure if anyone has experience with this on dattos, but he has it on his caddy. haven't ran that setup so i can't give you a personal opinion.

Got my Air Filters from Todd at Wolfcreek- Hoping the rain holds off so I can mount em up tonight- Will get some shots up once they are on.

Think Ive decided I am just going to get two new 5 point harnesses- probably simpson- so both the passenger and the driver seat will have 5 point- probably 2-4 weeks out on that since harnesses are not cheap...

Now for what I know you all want-

Bracket for the filter Mounted up

Filter Element in place

Rear Filter on

Front Filter Element on

The filter element ovalizes some more when the cap is put on so I dont know if it still touches- was tough to say

Completed- Thanks Todd! You got a spot in my engine bay with the sticker

May have to replace two of the studs in the front carb since they came out of the carb and the nut stayed on- seems to hold fine though- I locktited everything and the filters came with some nice nyloc nuts as well.

PS

You should remove the butterfly nuts and drill a small hole in them so you can safty wire them so the dont fall off.

Or use a spring with slight tension on them so if one but loosens it will tighten the other thus not comming loose.

Spring might be with the kit

as for car covers best to put car in gagrage or a car port. soemtimes on covers it holds the mosture in after awhile

what is that aluminum foil looking wiring that goes down by the header?????? I just dont get what people think soemtimes.

• Like 1

Got some underside shots-

Is there any way to be sure which tranny it is? with out digging around for numbers?

Also got a lap belt in the passenger seat so there is atleast something, until i pull the trigger on 5 points for both driver and passenger.

Who owned this car????????

Well zim stiell trying to figure you the dizzy wireing going under the car.

Now I see the flywheels open. That means you need the L16 typw 2pc lower cover part. Or a one pc which youll need to pull the motor and put on before the flywheel gets installed.

Hope a rock dont go flying in there.

Whats the shift pattern???????

what is that cable under neath? Parking brake?

I didnt have much time to look around so I just snapped the shots and threw em up... but now that you say that... bugger...

I beleive that cable is the parking brake cable, again didnt have much time to poke around- I hope to eventually relocate the handle somewhere down the road.

Shift pattern is your standard 5 spd with reverse being to the right (passenger) and back and 1st being to the left (driver) and forward

I did notice that there were electrical connections off the trans that were not hooked up to anything-

also looks like there may be some exhaust rubbing issues.

I guess I did want a project car in the first place though...

• Like 1

Before you go changing alternators, also check voltages across the alt. Could be a bad ground. If alt is showing good voltage, >13 and battery is showing low voltage then you probably have a bad ground and/or power wire. I'm assuming the battery is relocated to the trunk. What gauge wire is used? Also, funny thing about my alternator is that I have to rev the engine a little in the beginning to get the alternator to start charging. Don't know why, could have something to do with the rebuild.

funny thing about my alternator is that I have to rev the engine a little in the beginning to get the alternator to start charging.

Those are self exicting alternators. Like the GM type. I dont know it you have one of those.

So demo243 you still have alternator issues?

also I see they routed the batt cable under the car. I think I would route it inside to the trunk. But that is me and make your to gomment the holes so yout batt cable dont get worn and short out on the car and cause a fire. And be posted like the last guy that had the cable this way.

They make a battery kit just for this that discoonects but I dont run this myself.

Both mine are inside as incase the insulation gets rubbed over time or over bumbs it can be bad news.

Nope - Alternator is all good. Fires right up everytime, actually starts faster then my truck. Voltage is consistently and above 13-13.5; headlights dont dim or anything so all good.

That is a good call on that battery cable- add that one to the list of things to be taken care of- kinda suprised its underneath... there is nothing inside the car to impede running inside... no back seats to worry about... could just run it right through

Needs to be done-

-Flywheel Cover --> one piece is probably the best way to go... but alot more work. May have found a two piece- but I am not sure if it will fit or not since I still need to figure out what transmission I have - there are two engine/transmission plates for sale in the parts sections but they were different sizes... would much prefer not to have to pull the motor or drop the trans since I do not have an engine hoist or feel like disconnecting everything

-Bleed Brakes--> need to flush the system since the brake fluid is pretty rugged looking- would like to replace the pads as well- I have some wearever silver pads that i got with the car, but I think i am going to ditch those and get some porterfield's

-relocate battery cable from outside to inside the vehicle

-Find out why my front signals arent flashing

-get reverse lights working

-get tach and speedo working --> still need to pick up a speedo cable- and figure out how to wire the tack up with the electronic ignition

-5 point harnesses for driver and passenger

-relocated ebrake

.... I think there is more I am forgetting...

most important is the flasher.

On the trans set the volt meter to the Ohm scale and mayeb use the BEEP function so you can hear it. There will be a couple switches with 2 wires poking out. Find the set that when you put in reverse it will short out.

Then find the car wireing side and hook it up.

Mine dont work just I never hooked it up. I hooked them up wrong and they were on all the time and cop pulled me over when I was hammered. I tld him I just swap the trans and he let me go( I was lucky!!!!! So just dosconnected it. But might be hooked up now since frank swaped it out later so I got to ck.

find out what side the speedo cable hooks up. I will assume the driver side.

1st gear up it could be a later 80-83 trans from a NAPZ motor9might have a angle to the passenger side if org bellhousing still on, Or is a Z car trands(longer). I see the X memeber has been modded.

tach is a minor issue usually taken off the - side off the coil as this is what switches on/off.

I think I just knocked something loose on the flashers- since they worked when I got the car, but after i took the dash of to see what i was going to be dealing with they stopped flashing... lights still work, and rears still flash both for hazards and signals. Need to go back in there and dig around...

So went to the vintage race yesterday- was a good time. Ill get some shots up soon- unfortunately no 510 racing... Mike cracked his tranny and I never found the other one that was registered. Did get a couple shots of some z's and a pretty awesome roadster.

unfortunately my 510 didnt make it up- got on the highway and made it about 1 exit before the throttle cable gave out- I guess the pedal throw is longer then the throttle actuator throw.... and the pedal stop was grinded off so pedal hit the floor and pulled the cable with it. got it fixed enough to limp it home and then grabbed the truck to get up there... pretty bummer it would have been a fun drive.

played around with it today- thought I had it good. went for a drive... walked home... got my tools rigged it up to get home again and then spent some time on it.

Shortened the housing for the cable since it had a very long unneeded loop to it- now its just a nice mellow swoop. Then replaced the cable put a brick on the gas pedal and hooked the cable up at full throttle so the pedal will be at the floor. There is a touch of slack in the cable if you pull the gas pedal all the way out but its not too bad. no pictures unfortunately.

stay tuned Ill post a link to a lime rock vintage thread

I believe the battery that was on this car was originally from mine (and I think was brand new). Also the throttle cable and gas pedal were from my car too. It's using a 240sx setup, and a few brackets fabbed up by my friend who use to own my old car. I think it's funny that we have the same issues (no turn signals or reverse lights).Keep up the good work!