510 Brake conversion.

oDufffODramAo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of many rear disc brake conversion setup out there in the 510 community. Mine is a coupe.

http://www.datsuns.com/510/brakes/Comprehensive%20200sx-max%20install.pdf

I like quarter mile racing, slalom racing and canyon runs so I needed upgrade my brake setup. I keep my stock back sits for my kids so I really wanted a safe braking car, especially for that long family trips.

I used option #2 Maxima Caliper setup. I wanted to used the stock hand brake in my 510. http://www.datsuns.c...510brackets.htm I did not follow the instruction that you need to put the caliper in the botton like the picture. I place it on the top with no problem. The way they have it in the picture it looks funky.

I also got the slotted/drilled disc brake http://www.autoparts....html?loc=Front looks cool, matching with my front drilled brake setup 280zx struts and brakes. Works great!

If you want the expensive look that works the same as the 1 and 2 options on the website. Get the Wilwood setup, its bigger so you need a 15" wheels to fit the rotors.

I'm a home mechanic and I was able to follow the simple step by step instructions. I got a Rear E-brake cable for Maxima 1988 from Ebay and attached it to my original 510 hand brake. I wanted to keep that original hand brake with out using the center hand brake that is recommended.

Also don't forget to up grade your front and rear braided brake hoses http://www.nissanrac...tsun-4620022141 This you can buy later.

Remember that the original brake setup is for a L16 with only 100HP. If you have over 100HP the drum brakes setup will not cut it.

Hope this is helpful! Good Luck!

Rear Disc Brake

watdisc.jpg

Front Disc Brake

wat-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

can you run 13's with the maxima rears?

It depends. My 13" Panasports and Mini-lites fit the rear disc. It is the upgraded front brakes that will interfere most times. Having said that, my Panasports clear my s12 4 lug front brakes. The mini-lites do not.

P1020550.jpg

P1020552.jpg

P1020653.jpg

Edit: I realized that this last picture is showing the front caliper rubbing the back of the wheel. It might work with worn pads.

i know a couple people with race 510s and have 170hp or so and use rear drums JUST FINE.. but have upgraded front discs of course... not saying its ideal, but they win in their class.

But, i actualy am wondering very similar question as OP... looking for a good upgrade, primarily for the FRONT brakes that would allow me to still run 13's and 4 lug but give a bit more stopping power on the track and no fade.. also would like large diameter front wheel bearing setup...

Does 240 / 260 / 280Z front brakes work as a bolt on or?

What options are there?

What would be the best conversion for my 510? I hear that 300zx disc brakes are great but I'd like to stick to my 4 lugs so I can keep the original wheels.

If you mean 'bolt on and go' then...

The best is the Wilwood brake conversion. Only about $1100.

If you meant what's fairly easy to do yourself from collected parts, over the counter parts and a great upgrade from the stock 510 disc brakes.... I'd say 280zx struts with the much larger caliper and vented rotor. You will have to cut the spring off and use the 510 one, may need camber plates to correct camber issues, need the 15/16" zx master and need 14" rims for clearance. (but you will need larger rims for the larger tires you'll be needing anyway) Research, research, research. Being able to say "I did it myself"...... priceless.

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m brand new to using the forum pages. I have a 1979 510 wagon been driving it to work daily

I have brake questions and this thread looked the best place to ask them.

Are there other nission calipers that will bolt to my stock struts?

And can I replace my rear drums with the same kind of parts it’s not an indepdent rear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

O yeah I’m new Datsun’s but not fixing stuff.