Jake's patient 510 build

jser12

Minor update.... slotted the engine brackets so the hood could fit back on the engine. I don't know where we went wrong because we used the mounting brackets out of the 510 and followed all previous build threads but it didn't clear until now.

Everything runs and drives perfect except for when i get into the higher RPMs and there is a slight knock. Either the timing, but more likely the carb fuel/air mixture isn't right when you really gas it.... hopefully I can sort this out in the near future.

391CD3FB-CBA4-4899-B18D-737706DA8C37-401

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got pair of flag mirrors for $100. Shout out to eBay Aussie for helping me score these.

8DD089F4-0C34-4048-B5CF-BEAD1BDCB4F5-929

So my bro was breaking in my l20b for the last few weeks, turns out when you push in the clutch pedal to far, the clutch basically disassembles itself. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm thinking just a rubber stopper to prevent the clutch from going all the way to the floor.

Yea, they angle outwards. I'll be interested on how to mount them as some of the hardware is a little rusty, so some stuff will be replaced. Maybe if you want to pm me a quick little how-to on how yours went to together. That would be kickass

Mine dont look anything like those... bases are completely different. I dont think those are genuine Nissan units for 510s. OEM pieces are spring and rubber based so they are flexible when installed. 

Take some better shots of the base and maybe I can help out. 

Either have I. Maybe the base components are interchangeable and someone swapped them out half way through their life or maybe Nissan made a run with the plastic as spring bases like mine have to keep costs down.... I have no clue, but the actual mirror is a real Nissan mirror, it's just a matter of the mounting supplies.

I'll figure it out when I get back to my car. (Away for an internship) but it doesn't really matter since our mounting hardware is different. I'll just line it up, drill some holes, and figure it out the ratsun way

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like I need to wait for my car for another month.... but I will actually have two weeks to work on it now with the help of my dad.... and all of his tools :thumbup:

list of things to get done in those two weeks
- cannon single manifold and Dellorto single side draft
- Troy ermish Header designed for the l20b swap (hooray clearance)
- rear coilovers
- weld on front coilovers

- stare at flag fender mirrors and hope they put themselves on the car

- do some celebratory burnouts

- woodward dream cruise (i'll be the only Japanese car there)

I'm jealous.................Woodward Dream Cruise is KILLER!!  I didn't go in 2012, but had been going the previous 8 years or so.  Yup, 99% domestic, ~1% import!!  :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Minor updates

-Oil pressure and temp gauge installed

-Different jets installed into 32/36, runs and burns beautifully now

-repainted advans. Getting bolts tonight and mounting them by Thursday.

-still need to install my fender mirrors.

5702126D-1DD0-45C9-8E46-DE711C06871C-264

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

0E835413-47D6-4A76-A267-9AFAA86905D5-201

No updates really. Just running through costs and figuring putt the next thing to buy. I'm thinking a koyorad radiator

My gf bought me a nardi wood grain but doesn't want to give it to me yet, I'll get that eventually.

I have linkage and a carb to set up a single side draft, just waiting on my new header from Troy.

And I ordered my rear coilovers from skib over 4 months ago. Haven't heard from him in over a month (nobody has really) and I really wish they would come in soon.

Thank you, that is all.

I know. I'm getting very impatient. I think I want to cancel my order but last time I talked to him (late july) he told me he would give me free shipping and throw in some random free goodies. If nothing happens by the end of September I'm canceling my order and just buying a set from T3 or someone else.

I want to help out the local guys that make products.... But it sucks when this happens. And I don't wanna bash the guy publicly because that's not me, I'll just be patient and hope he can come through cause I've heard nothing but good things about skib.

I know. I'm getting very impatient. I think I want to cancel my order but last time I talked to him (late july) he told me he would give me free shipping and throw in some random free goodies. If nothing happens by the end of September I'm canceling my order and just buying a set from T3 or someone else.

I want to help out the local guys that make products.... But it sucks when this happens. And I don't wanna bash the guy publicly because that's not me, I'll just be patient and hope he can come through cause I've heard nothing but good things about skib.

He posts on FB so I know hes online... 

• 1 month later...

Just a minor update.

- I have a 69 grille on now. Looks good.

- emailed skib asking for a refund for the price of my coilovers seeing as it's been 5+ months and still no coilovers. Hopefully I can get that money soon.

- takin the car home this weekend to store it for the winter..... But not before I take apart the header and the carb.

- replace header and carb with side draft and troy ermish header.

- maybe sometime in the off season I can take my coils up to HAM8URGER and weld the fronts and maybe work on his KA-t swap.

That's about it

• 1 month later...

well since skib has still failed to reply back to me, I have started making my own rear coilovers out of 89 Subaru parts, and Honda coilover sleeves.
Traded my single side draft for a rebuilt set of SU carbs
Once these god forsaken accounting finals are done with, I can install the carb, header, and finally finish up my suspension. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got some progress done on the dime.

Installed nardi wood grain. Gift from the girlfriend.

IMAG0055_zpsaurebqy0.jpg

Installed homemade rear coilovers

Quick write up on how I did it.

-Ordered 89 Subaru gl rear struts, Honda coilover sleeves, 8inch springs, and ground control top hats.

-Took out rear strut, disconnected the cv joint to drop down the control arm to pull the spring out.

-drilled out the bottom bushing of the Subaru strut to 5/8"

- sanded off the burs and cleaned up the peg it installs on.

- threw everything together

- got low

Now for pics

IMAG0048_zpsng7rgamx.jpg

IMAG0049_zpsoclrpmsv.jpg

IMAG0051_zpshvumrbrr.jpg

IMAG0057_zpsaxscgcnk.jpg

• Like 2