Jake's patient 510 build

jser12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea just a change of heart. looking to sell them to finish up the engine and get my dual solex's rebuilt.  Plus it was only two rims so there was't much I could do with that.  I need to focus on the main things first before I really worry about visuals

Got the engine painted and its heading in the right direction

photo-15.jpg

my dad helping with the painting

photo3-9.jpg

Went to the chrysler museum before it closed down, found this awesome tank engine. it's 5 inline-six's basically strapped together.  only put out about 350 hp though

photo1-20.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got my head bolts in the mail recently so I can FINALLY get back to building this engine.  hopefully I will go back home this weekend so I can get some work done on it.  One night me and my roommate were just messing around and he started making a 3yr build plan for his miata so I made one for the datsun.  here is what it looks like
Year 1 (this summer)
-muffler
-Engine rebuilt and running
-Rebuild my Solex 44's
-Retractable seatbelts

Year 2
- destroy all rust, new dog legs and rocker panles

-rear coilovers from Skib

-Recaro LX seats

Year 3
-Fender Mirros

-Paint (white)

-wire tuck (for the 6 wires that are in it)

Year 4

-SSR MK2s 14x7 blue finish

- Nardi steering wheel

-new control arms

Year 5

-JDM tail lights

• 4 weeks later...

started to rip apart the old engine for parts and eventually got the head bolted on and the timing chain in place and everything set properly.  Tomorrow I finish putting the engine together and begin etching away at the rust in the bottom of the engine bay. 
This was a pic from earlier today of the old L16, hanging by a 2x4 from the garage ceiling.

6D1CA129-5019-4E66-A4B9-7D82D5B4A1BA-170

time to leave my car for another couple months so here is what we got done so far
found TDC
timing chain on
most things torqued down
timing chain tensioner
and gaskets put in

currently in the process of degreeing
E9B71F30-59B5-483D-8E35-5A28D2FB95F5-292

got a good start on getting the lower half of the engine bay grinded down
4ECBE2A7-0438-4E17-BA5B-7E24D5E465A0-292

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I brought this up to Q awhile ago... I hate Advans. Out of all the cars Ive ever seen wearing this style of rim, I think one looks good. BUT I give the company props for manifacturing the same style of rim for decades and being able to change it up enough to keep people interested (if you like the 3 spoke design). They stayed true to what they originally did and I respect that. 

I personally like the three spoke design and it may look awkward on the 510 but they are my favorite rim so I'll make it work. I think if I do a white car with black accents... Then throw the red advans on, it will look acceptable. Guess we will wait and see.
And they are 14s rusty. 13s wouldn't fit over the 280zx front brakes (unless modified or huge negative offset)

• 2 weeks later...

Came home last week from college. This was I had left to really do to the engine before I could drop it in.

3F747D88-F93E-4F5E-BA34-1EF57332153F-171

The engine was more complete than this when I left but this was the only picture I snagged.

F2841CD6-CD85-4BFE-A52B-5CE490E1D8BF-171

My dad said he would work on it while I am gone for the summer, so it should be running and driving in a week or so.

And I also got to test fit my advans over my super sexy drum brakes.

C1EB48CF-1328-441B-BC38-7C6DC55E3CCD-171

Yup, not on here much in the last few months......focusing on the new job (www.sportscarcraftsmen.com).  Colorado??  I'm like a kid in a candy store :rofl: , with all of the classic cars running around on a daily basis, even in the snow!  There are also plenty of classic cars in the LKQ's & Pay n Pull's..............no 510/610's, but quite a few 620/720's & Z-cars!  I haven't rented any shop space yet, like I had in Michigan, but I'm looking now.................gotta get back to wheelin' & dealin' the 510 stuff!!  No cars until I have shop space, so............. :sleep:   

Well it took 6 months to get where we are today.... running. 
I couldn't be at home when my dad and brother fired her up because of this stupid accounting internship. 
But you can't beat northern Michigan in the summer.

Water pump was leaky before the start up and then stopped when the car was on.  got the wrong master slave cylinder, I think it just needs a spring and to adjust it.  And as always with the L20b swap, the exhaust is a little close to the floor boards so i'm gonna stop by an exhaust shop soon and have them do a quick fix on it. 

I actually get to go home tomorrow to see my family, so my weekend list is to get the master slave cylinder adjusted, install the new adjustable seat belts I bought, and work on taking apart my Advans and getting rid of the calcium build up and possibly getting new screws. 

Bought a single side draft that is ready to bolt on so that will go on once the engine is broken in within the next couple of months.

Still waiting on rear coilovers from skib. 

getting kinda sad at how much rust is really on my car and underneath it, trying to plan on how I want to go about fixing, I think what I will most likely do is slam it and drive it hard for a couple years and enjoy it, then strip it down and repair everything.  I will keep this 510 going for as long as humanly possible, that I promise