Jake's patient 510 build

jser12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip its your car and I seen them come and more often go.

Okayfine on the Realm said the ST springs , I had a pair of them. I thought they were good enough with my Konis. Then I went to 180 coil over set up. He said that is now double the stiffness. Yours is another 70 above that.

Key is also to match the shock to the spring. otherwise the valving dont last long. So not cheap ass shocks.

I bought the rebound adj. koni red/orange so you can really tighten it up. Turn them all the way they will lock up. Otherwise most shocks are barely hanging on when that SPRING IS RETURNING BACK TO zERO position

Usually people put stiffer springs onto cars that ride on SMOOTH roads, not the other way around. If your roads are bumpy you're going to knock your teeth out. I have those springs on my car, but AZ roads are super smooth. I've driven my car in the L.A. area and it sucks, bad, because their roads are so bumpy due to all the cracks and bumps from old construction projects.

fiveseventyzee......holy crap that's a great idea!

Jake, take the wheels up to Consolidated Stripping in Plainwell, and sandblast them, which "etches" the surface for paint or powdercoat. You rent the sandblast cabinet, do it yourself. Wear old clothes cuz the place is filthy, AND wear long sleeves, cuz the big rubber gloves that you stick your arms thru are disgusting.........but I still love going there! If you were going to polish them, they also have a glassbead cabinet, which leaves the blasted surface a l'il smoother.

Yes, perfectly safe, as long as you don't aim the nozzle at one spot for any length of time. Sandblasting leaves the surface "etched" more than glassbeading. Any "pitting" that might appear, were already there from bad casting OR oxidation, and the blasting process simply cleaned out those pits........better to know they are there, for better preperation for paint or powdercoat. Don Sr & Don Jr are both very helpful up at Consolidated. Enter the office at the north end of the building, tell 'em I sent you, and that you have some old Datsun parts that you want to blast. They'll set you up on the blasting cabinet, and give you a quick rundown on how to use the equipment, and away you go! If you ask, Don Jr will talk yer ear off, about the ins & outs of blasting, and if you listen intently, he might even tell you about his absolutely mentally crazy Chinese mail-order ex-wife :frantics: (yes, I'm serious!!)........I don't recommend asking :crying: . Good luck with the project!

• Like 1

Got the l20b into a shop and its torn apart. Apartently the guy who did the rebuild for it back in '92 did the shittiest job ever and put in used/cleaned parts in it and some stuff was put in wrong. Ordered a rebuild kit for it. Having it bored out 30 over and increased compression ratio. My uncle (genius mechanic) said he would port and polish the head for me. Build is looking good except for that I got into a front end collision today and am out of a car for a week until I fix it up with salvage parts, shouldn't cost me a dime over 300. But the asshole called the cops before I could off the phone with my dad so I ended up with a ticket and points on my liscence :sneaky:. His truck was fine and i was just gonna let him drive away. Well thats the current state of my build...

photo-11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came how today from college with some gifts waiting for me in the garage

This will be my best friend come late december when I do the swap

photo2-14.jpg

The engine shop put most of the engine back together and did an AMAZING job. balanced and everything

photo1-15.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

and this is how she currently sits

photo2-15.jpg

I'll put up the engine specs sometime tomorrow when I get a chance

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Started working on taking my engine out this morning. 

photo1-18.jpg

I basically went from thinking I could do it to this...
eD_zpsd085a114.jpg

Then I did a quick little test fit
photo2-17.jpg

Gonna do some more research then I'll see what I can do to it.  While I have two weeks off of school I am looking to get the l16 out, the l20b together, and weld on GC coilovers