Faulty Charging System in 521

AcesHigh

I haven't had time to check because I have to go to work but mine has had the ignition light on for the past week (wasn't sure if it had kicked into life or not) anyway, is it like it suggests above bad alternator earth? I'll look in more detail tonight.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of starting a new thread ill add to this one.

One day I was on my way to a fellow members place and when I started my truck up to leave my ing. light was on, so I got out took the ground off of the battery and sure enough it wasn't charging so I said fuck it and decided to drive it home on battery but would charge when I higher rpm's. My truck had 74k original miles so I swapped the alt. figuring its original aswell. Doesn't solve my problem so I put a new voltage regulator I had from my first truck and that doesn't fix it either so I throw a brand new regulator one at it and still not charging. Only now everytime I turn the ignition on it instantly blows the fuse for the gauge cluster. I was told something about there is a resistor or something behind the cluster that has to do with the charging system?maybe that may have something to do with the fuse blowing and not charging? any input would be appreciated.

The 521 fuse box is well exposed to the weather and often the cover is missing. Record the wire locations and remove and clean. Soak overnight in a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice, rinse well, dry and put back in. Clean the wire ends also.

• Like 2