Trouble - late-1969 SSS Bluebird Coupe

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. I remember Techno stepped their game up pretty good awhile ago... went from normal pieces a certain color, to plasma cut logo'd pieces. Overall shape and design looks about right though. Your pcs. look decent quality though, Id keep rocking them.

No big deal, just curious. One of those things where it is nice to know when people ask.

There are a couple billet LCA's on ebay at the moment. Datsun-Parts is one of the vendors. I know that's where he got the aluminum radiator that UPS lost so could be him. Who knows. No matter...

--carter

• 1 year later...

I was really hoping to drive Rice Wagon to Canby this year but a couple months before, I concluded that that just wasn't going to happen.  Hmmmmm...  I wonder if I could get Trouble on the road by then.  Let's give it a go.

So after nearly 2 years under the car cover - I decided to move it to the other garage to see if I could start a happier chapter with this car. 

At the same time, I found an awesome set of Techno Racing rims on ebay to help build some enthusiasm for the project.

phantom_racing_rims.JPG

Who doesn't love big boxes of car parts from Japan?!

Getting ready to head to the tire store.

Unfortunately, none of the tires on the Techno Phantom rims were worth saving so I ended up getting all new tires mounted.

04072014_trouble_tire_swap_1_.JPG

04072014_trouble_tire_swap_2_.JPG

04102014_trouble_new_tires.JPG

05172014_trouble_progress_8_.JPG

The guy at the tire store was funny.  He'd never felt rims so light.  I guess he's used to dealing with giant 20" SUV rims all day.  These 14" things were like toys.

Meanwhile, I started ordering all the suspension compenents I would need to correct the stock ride height "problem"... :D

• Like 1

Bluebird Coupes pop up from time to time for $15-$35K

They show up randomly on ebay and craigslist and this place in Utah http://www.jdmlegends.com/

Browse this thread http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56879-i-like-coupes-pictures-of-bluebird-coupes/ and see a few that have been for sale over the last couple years.  Of course you can always bring one in from Japan.

So while I was sorting out the battery charging problem, I also removed the electric fuel pump the PO had installed in case it had anything to do with the previous starting/running problems:

Out with the new:

05042014_trouble_wakes_up_2_.JPG

and in with the old:

05042014_trouble_wakes_up_3_.JPG

In addition to the necessities of fixing the battery and fuel pump and adjusting the maladjusted carbs it looks like the car was also out of gas!  I was hoping that would explain the lack of power and run-away revs as the carbs leaned out!  Either way - on the 4th of May, 2014, I got the engine started back up and I was able to pull in and out of the garage. 

05042014_trouble_wakes_up_4_.JPG

It was a good day and gave me confidence that I could really get this thing to Canby!