Replacing center support/carrier bearing - How?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Mike is correct, it is not the "bearing" that goes out, but the rubber around it. You can't replace just the rubber and the 1.18" dia reads correct. This is ether the worst design ever or a planned obsolescence.  I replaced the "bearing" on my '88 king cab twice in the four years I owned it. I have replaced the "bearing" on my '95 king cab once a year in the four years I have owned this truck. I even helped a friend of mine replace the "bearing" in his 300zx. You cannot get under those damn cars. I last checked there is only one shop here in Spokane that even works on two piece drivelines.

Just make sure the u-joints (which you might replace if the driveline has a lot of miles) are lined up and it is balanced.

To get the rubber isolater you may have to buy the 'kit' which includes the bearing. Only one member has confirmed that the bearing had actually gone bad on his drive shaft. It really doesn't have much of a load on it, just allows the outer surface to stay still.

What I did was cut a 1" wide strip of rubber conveyor belt (may be more or less and anything rubbery will do) and wrap it around the driveshaft like a jelly roll. I may have wired it in place. Then clamp the holder over it. Took a couple of tries to get the length right and the rubber firmly clamped down. It doesn't move, just supports the driveshaft. The bearing allows the inside to spin but the outside is stationery. I did this with the intention of getting a replacement but it worked so well I just left it. It was still there and working 4 years later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1