tranny questions

Siqx20

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 710 that used to be an automatic - the ZX 5-speed matches up pretty well - the driveshaft didn't need to be changed, and the shifter hole only needed to be enlarged a tiny bit.

If you have a 4 speed you can go two ways.

1/ Get a '77-'79 S10 (200sx) dogleg 5 speed. You will have to modify the rear tranny mount but otherwise it drops in.

2/ Get a 710 automatic driveshaft and any L series FS5W71B 5 speed from a 620 truck, 280z or zx or Maxima. Modify the rear tranny mount and move to the rear most mount holes on the body.

Then the FS5W71B is the easiest, and a stronger transmission. The parts list includes....

710 clutch and brake assys. Make sure to get the master push rod with them.

clutch master cylinder.... new is best but a good working one is fine.

clutch slave cylinder.... new is best but a good working one is fine. Be sure the push rod comes with it.

The hard line and the flex line to connect them. You can measure the length needed and buy pre made brake lines and bend it yourself.

FS5W71B 5 speed from a '77-'78 280z, '79-'83 280zx, '77-'79 620 truck, '80 2wd 720 truck or '80-'84 Maxima. These will all fit the same but there are different internal 1st-3rd and overdrive ratios. NOTE: the following may come with the transmission, if not you will have to source them separately.

1/ clutch arm and dust boot

2/ release bearing collar or housing* (collar must match your choice of pressure plate)

3/ shifter and rubber dust boot

6 bolt flywheel to fit the L20B motor. Comes in 200mm and 225mm sizes and pressure plate and clutch disc must match it* (collar must match your choice of pressure plate)

Pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft. About $5

Release bearing. $15 to $20 don't cheap out on this. You don't want to take all this apart in a year's time to replace it just because you saved $7!!!!

Clutch disc/pressure plate and release collar should be purchased as a complete and matched set. Always use a new release bearing.

Flywheel may need to be machined flat.

You can use the automatic speedo cable but the drive pinion inside the 5 speed may be for a much different tire and differential ratio and need changing later.

Hole in floor for the automatic shifter may or may not match the 5 speed shifter.

The automatic interlock to prevent starts in anything but neutral and park will need the two Red/Black stripe wires joined and soldered and taped up.

The automatic reverse light wires will have to be connected to the reverse lamp switch on the 5 speed.

If you have a 4 speed you can go two ways.

1/ Get a '77-'79 S10 (200sx) dogleg 5 speed. You will have to modify the rear tranny mount but otherwise it drops in.

2/ Get a 710 automatic driveshaft and any L series FS5W71B 5 speed from a 620 truck, 280z or zx or Maxima. Modify the rear tranny mount and move to the rear most mount holes on the body.

Mike / Siqx - Thanks, that very question had been burning in my mind for 2 weeks now. Not too tuff. Weird Tranny x member though. I have a pair of 240z 4 speeds that probably arent worth the swap unless they have preferable gearing. I will have to keep an eye out for another zx trans or the SX

The 4 speed is 26" long, the automatic is 31.5". The 4 speed and the automatic use the same tranny mount cross member. If you look on your 710 there are 3 bolt holes on each side of the tunnel for the cross member. The 4 speed uses the front and middle on each side.... the automatic used the rear and middle bolt hole. This moves the mount forward or back about 3-4".

would the pedal assembly out of a 2 door 510 work u think? only reason i ask is i have that avail. otherwise i have to get on the hunt for a pedal assembly. I have a 5 speed out of my truck. I might use that since its going to be a little bit before the truck needs it. I will need to do some thinking on that one.

hmmmm so i guess i just need to find some. I drove the bitch on the freeway tonight and i damn near had to keep the pedal on the floor to do 65. 3 speed auto for the fail. I think im going to throw my truck 5 speed in....