Say hello to Phuglee my "new" 710 Wagon! (Lots 'o Pics)

O.D.D.

1001683_10151803438806383_1698570048_n.j

555217_10151803438731383_209109506_n.jpg

If you happen to be @ any paint retailer and you can find this paint, I would be deeply grateful. its Laquer not enamel, and not make/model specific. Used to be AutoZone easy to find, now it seems to be dead. A friend had good results with it, and I would like the same....

Duplicolor GS100 gold. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand why, when you already have an air compressor right(orbital sander) that people dont buy a cheap-o harbor freight spary gun instead of using 400 rattle cans?!  I just cant comprehend the logic here!  It's so much ezier and faster and better and not retarded to use a spray gun! 

Although your car does look impressive for a rattle can job........I gotta say, if using a gun you wouldn't have to work so hard at it!  Not to mention a quart of cheap singe stage paint is like $25 and you probably spent Alot more than that on rattle cans.

Am i crazy here people?!!??!  AM I ?!?!?!?!     :frantics:  :frantics:  :frantics:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :frantics:  :frantics:  :frantics: 

I dont understand why, when you already have an air compressor right(orbital sander) that people dont buy a cheap-o harbor freight spary gun instead of using 400 rattle cans?!  I just cant comprehend the logic here!  It's so much ezier and faster and better and not retarded to use a spray gun! 

Although your car does look impressive for a rattle can job........I gotta say, if using a gun you wouldn't have to work so hard at it!  Not to mention a quart of cheap singe stage paint is like $25 and you probably spent Alot more than that on rattle cans.

Am i crazy here people?!!??!  AM I ?!?!?!?!     :frantics:  :frantics:  :frantics:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :frantics:  :frantics:  :frantics: 

I actually kinda addressed this above... but since someone didnt read up before speaking up, i will summarize for a 15 second attention span.  

1 I DONT have an air compressor  (large enough for painting)

2 i used a 5in ELECTRIC ORBITAL for the entire job,

3 a compressor large enough to supply a spraygun without running continuously and heating the air to a point of disaster is AT LEAST $150 at harbor freight, more like $350 if you are going to do things right. 

4 I live in CA -  thanks to our environmental laws real paint is $250+ depending on color for a single stage spray and primer. 

5 SOOOO lets see here, other than a $15 gun (which has its limitations by the way), I was looking at $4-600 to spray "the real" way... 

6  I used 8 cans of primer. 14 cans of blue and 3 cans of black. Totaling 25 cans. Primer was 2-for-1 on sale, and Spraypaint was almost 20% off.

THAT IS LESS THAN $100 IN PAINT!!!!  I SPENT JUST OVER $85 ON THAT PAINT JOB.    

7 IF IM GONNA SPEND $4-600+ ITS GONNA BE ON MY 510, NOT A  FANCY PAINT JOB FOR A $600  710 WAGON WITH MORE RUST THAN METAL. 

Am i crazy here people?!!??!  AM I ?!?!?!?!

'Nuff Said - Bye Now.  

:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

My favorite Datsun wheels.

Same here - they look weird enough to be JDM expensive, but they're stock!

Ive had a set of 15x6 300zx "pinwheels" (I dont like callin them swazis) 2 sets of 6 spokes, and 2 sets of These iron cross rims. 

Knowing the Iron cross ones are the "heavy and flexible" ones of the bunch - I never really searched them out for the 510. But, for the wagon, YES they totally have a good little look going on. 

I like the lip on the 6 spokes - but they look really small on the wagon (esp done in black) and without painting the centers they lose their visual depth. 

I am liking the iron cross ones because they appear to be larger due to the center section being more flush with the front of the wheel. 

They can also look VERY different depending on how they are painted. I have seen them painted a number or ways, Some draw attention to the little trapezoid bits, others keep the focus on the cross portion. 

That part made me pretty in-decisive when it came to masking things, in the end it took me almost 5 hours to mask them off and then razor off all the excess tape. Scotch "EDGELOCK" is definitely worth the extra $. no bleeding and it peels off in large chunks instead of tearing into 1000 little shreds. if anyone has tips on getting painters tape off that was a surface too long that doesnt involve denatured alcohol, Im all ears... (i have a habit of leaving things masked and not finishing quickly)

I considered masking off the front surfaces of the trap.s and the lip. I almost just masked the lip and painted the front surfaces of the cross (that make the borders of the trapezoids.)

At first I almost painted the entire front surface of the rim gold with only the little trapezoid pockets done in black....kinda thought that may flatten them out too much.

In the end - if i did all this damn masking and I end up painting the polished aluminum bits, i will be annoyed, but Its what I get for being indecisive and figuring out what I like as I go. 

Thanks for the inspiration!  

I have looked at this thread more times in the last while to see what is possible for my wagon when I am done the metal work.  

Looking forward to the updates!

Thanks man - glad to help build some momentum wherever I can. Still a long way to go mechanically.... im gonna need some inspiration for that part for sure!

I would seriously watch for the owner of the car circled in the background to pass away and then swoop on it like a hawk on chicken...

cressida_zps75f04cf7.jpg

Other than that, the transformation of your wagon is awesome! 

I would seriously watch for the owner of the car circled in the background to pass away and then swoop on it like a hawk on chicken...

cressida_zps75f04cf7.jpg

Other than that, the transformation of your wagon is awesome! 

Lols - 

Funny of you to notice that Cressida. Sadly both it and its owner are long gone now. It was an automatic, and SAT RIGHT THERE FOR MONTHS. I attempted to find out who's it was, Thinking I may be able to sell it for them for a small percentage of the price as a fee. The owner was unable to let go of the car, even after it sat with a flat tire for another few months. She said it was going to some grandchild as a 1st car in A YEAR or so. I think something happened to her health and family stepped in and either donated it, or it got impounded. I came home from work one day and it was just gone. Never saw the owner again either, so I never found out what happened. Its a senior apt complex... so, ya know, .... things happen. 

15054_10151810130716383_718101484_n.jpg

971708_10151810130676383_385383782_n.jpg

1001541_10151810130666383_1016062490_n.j

1002867_10151810131001383_888775093_n.jp

Gold is masked off, black is done. 

Its waiting time. literally waiting for paint to dry is going to take the rest of the damn day. Then when i pull off the masking for the gold part, I BET that I muff up the trim masking at least once per rim. 

Probably going to take until tomorrow to paint the gold, and maybe the next day before the clear is dry. 

Patience is not my thing. 

:hyper: (c'mon.,c'mon, c'mon)

Set up a tent for the main day of sanding .... around 4pm my snotty neighbor across the street to the right comes up and asks.... " are 

you almost done? - Its hot, i dont want to shut my window, and i cant think because of the noise"  

Personally, I hate high maintenance "cute" chicks who are used to getting their way, and this particular one hasn't bothered to introduce herself or her man in the year and a half we have lived here, and was downright cold to my woman when she tried to be friendly @ the mailbox. 

Asking me a stupid question typically results in a smartass response, which took me a bit to hold back. In the end i simply told her I planned on sanding continuously for the next few days, but if she wanted, I would take a 30 min break.  

1012355_10151797717756383_1366936915_n.j

I doubt the snotty girl can actually form any real thoughts. I probably would've just started sanding again while she was talking to muffle the sound.

I was reading this thread months ago and just noticed there were comments on it today. It looks AH-MAZ-ING! You really brought it back. I'm with Adam in the state of awe on this project. Great job :thumbup:

Done with (many) coats of clear.  All but one has the tape pulled... last one still a little wet when I started picking @ it. 

1069929_10151811158551383_1493303490_n.j

Finishing touches (like goof-offing the tape schmoo from the polished bits) to be done tomorrow. 

I actually kinda addressed this above... but since someone didnt read up before speaking up, i will summarize for a 15 second attention span.  

1 I DONT have an air compressor  (large enough for painting)

2 i used a 5in ELECTRIC ORBITAL for the entire job,

3 a compressor large enough to supply a spraygun without running continuously and heating the air to a point of disaster is AT LEAST $150 at harbor freight, more like $350 if you are going to do things right. 

4 I live in CA -  thanks to our environmental laws real paint is $250+ depending on color for a single stage spray and primer. 

5 SOOOO lets see here, other than a $15 gun (which has its limitations by the way), I was looking at $4-600 to spray "the real" way... 

6  I used 8 cans of primer. 14 cans of blue and 3 cans of black. Totaling 25 cans. Primer was 2-for-1 on sale, and Spraypaint was almost 20% off.

THAT IS LESS THAN $100 IN PAINT!!!!  I SPENT JUST OVER $85 ON THAT PAINT JOB.    

7 IF IM GONNA SPEND $4-600+ ITS GONNA BE ON MY 510, NOT A  FANCY PAINT JOB FOR A $600  710 WAGON WITH MORE RUST THAN METAL. 

Am i crazy here people?!!??!  AM I ?!?!?!?!

'Nuff Said - Bye Now.  

:rolleyes: 

Well played sir..........well played.

Oh, and the wheels turned out sick.

:D

Never let it be said that the 510 has not been a team player.... had to leave it on Jacks to get the tires sorted back out after the rims were done. 

(note the kirkey seat, slotted z rotors, and adjustable coilovers....mmmm)

1010853_10151812625716383_121446404_n.jp