Say hello to Phuglee my "new" 710 Wagon! (Lots 'o Pics)

O.D.D.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tilton reverse mount pedal boxes will NEVER fit in a 710 .. the tranny tunnel is too wide to mount it over the steering column like 510's

the brake pedal was almost touching the tranny tunnel,, no room for a gas pedal, or normal feeling pedal placement.. you would have to make an entirely custom steering column with many pivot points

Your plan sounds like the next 10 years of your life . and 10x more money than you think .. that 2dr sedan needs a medi-vac to the high desert ASAP

Salted roads SUCK but people dont always realize what 300 days of marine layer a year can do to a car (mmm...salty condensation all over) YES - A trip inland would help the rusting quite a bit. But. then I would be living in BAKE-O or FUK-NO (Bakersfield or Fresno). NOT WORTH THE TRADE OFF!

I'd much rather deal with the ocean and salt rotted metal than gang-bangers and meth rotted teeth :sick:

Good to know Tilton is not an option for the 710, somehow you missed that I had no plans of spending that kind of $ on the sedan...If anything I would tilton the 510 and attempt using the oem 510 pedals on the 710...that may be quite a challenge as well, do you have any input along those lines???

Also good to know the tranny tunnel is wider than a 510 - another DAYDREAM (more on this in a minute) would be to get a stock 300zx driveline into the wagon. A little width there would help the bellhousing fit.

Now about the whole "Years and Dollars" comment - do me a solid - i asked nicely, "hear me out before tearing it to bits" on the "plan" its called DAYDREAMING and C'mon - I prefaced the entire paragraph about the 2dr with this....

"All that aside, for the 2dr sedan, i am dreaming of perhaps...." Thats right...i said DREAMING of....perhaps.....

Your response was 10 years and $$$ dollars... so consider this

The 510 was turned into what is is in less than 5 years. With HALF the money you would think, and as a machine it is customized to my exact taste. I did that while using it as a daily driver and only car. List the top 20 things to do to make a high performance 510 other than putting the wrong motor in it (SR, KA, blah blah) and its DONE. Soooo....even though I am a noob to you, I am not a noob to this and probably a little more capable than you imagine at this point.

Maybe im a dink for calling my 2 door sedan a coupe out of bad habit, but I am working on it ( huh BANNER?...lol)

The wagon's bodywork will be done by end of november at the latest, i am not doing a concourse job. If I cant get it sprayed for cheap/free I will frikkn rattlecan the damn thing until I can get the $, or attempt making a booth out of my garage. Paint is my christmas present to me.

Rebuilding the Suspension and brakes isnt going to take years if I can pull from the 2dr and rebuild while still driving the wagon. Not even going to do a 280zx strut/brake package for the wagon (though that would be necessary if I ever put power in it) - just gonna rebuild/replace the old/stock shit. If I had more money than time, this kind of stuff could be in little more than a day if the wagon were worth taking to a competent shop.

The 2dr may never see a "swap" but I DO have 2 buildable L18's sitting in my garage, as well as a complete and droppable stock L16 Mule used while my L20b was pulled and rebuilt last year. I have multiple downdraft intakes as well as a spare set of SU's,

The 2 main things I am not familiar with and already capable of would be fabbing a rollcage, which is a pipe dream for dollars anyhow, and converting to manual, which I would like to make a reality.

I know the wagon could be cannibalized, but I would rather pull a setup from a yard instead. Other than another 710, what can I use for a donor, 720? are all the mid 70's 6 and 7 series firewalls similar? I know 510s but clearly I am not intimate with the 710 in all the way it takes to do something like this with out some education.

Instead of telling me that tilton will never work and how much it takes to slay that dragon, are there any practical solutions?

The axleside shock mounts look the same, the,upper body mounts and shocks look different.

As for the gears, i thought your sedan was a 75, my 75 auto rear looks to be 4.11s

Frikkn Sweet! That is hopeful news, other than now I may not want to throw it on the wagon anymore...lol. Depending on how easy it is to dis/re connect I may do it but swap back IF the 2dr ever comes to life.

All L20B 710s, auto or standard, after '74 used the same 3.70 rear end. I suppose a much later HL510 rear diff could have been swapped in. Without a tach it's really hard to say.

My goon clock stopped at 4:20 also!!! This is the second '77 goon thread I've posted in today.

Evidently DatZenMike seems to have info to the contrary on gearing rations.... looks like its time for a factoid showdown! ( anyone remember SMASH TV for the NES?)

And while we are at it.... lets get into some good crunching on LSD or locker options, Does anyone RUN a working rear end OTHER than an open diff? My only ideas are Roadster related and costly. Anything else i can think of would be even more custom and costly, so maybe i need to stop thinking about this. Its not really important for the wagon whatsoever, just looking down the road so to speak

Per Ratsun Rules - i will now post more pics...lol

538812_10151233511676383_2025077884_n.jpg

First swap is going to be tires, all 4 on coupe are less than 1k used.

(Until I get enough extra mag lug nuts collected to mount the Iron Cross' rims i have - I need 8 more!!! - Donors anyone???)

Of Course, my definition of "aesthetic" is a little looser than most people would call normal.

There is NOTHING holding the bottom or the rear window in the car (other than rust stuck to glue) , and the bottom half of BOTH SIDES is eaten out pretty well,

Plexi is starting to sound sexy

395228_10151233511251383_1071513736_n.jpg

Hey BY THE WAY does anyone want the trim from the wagon? (large font on purpose) I will give it away to anyone who wants to pay the postage to ship it and maybe chip a couple of bucks for wrap if you want lots of protection..

some of it is trash for sure, some of it may be worth it. I dont want any of it, and I am the only kid on my block with these... so first come first serve! I can be troubled for pics of it, but gimme a min to take em.

MAYBE WE CAN TRADE trim for Mag Lugnuts. I have 2 sets of Z 6 spokes and now the Iron cross set too - i NEED more Mag lugnuts.

Banner - Sure, if and when the time comes you are welcome to it so long as we are still in touch! I have been considering doing the side windows on the 510 since they are so simple and it would be another little sleeper bit. I am currently getting my ass handed to me by a buddy with a lighter 510 and a smaller motor (with mikunis and a 411 LSD rear) So something has to give. Depending on the cost, and if i can swing a "package deal' I may do the rear window for the 2dr since there is nothing left to hold the glass and i am not into serious metalwork. Hadnt thought of the Side windows, but again - they are easy and why not at that point.

not even on the map til next year, if we end up in the same class - there is a debate over what tires will be chosen, and that may keep us in separate classes.

Indy -

Ya - doors, and runner panel trim, as well as the bottom and rear "guards" for the wagon side windows. The stupid fake wooden panels for the hatch and the runners that attach them.

Basically everything but the pinch weld trim and one door bumper came off in "re-useable" condition I think the antenna assy is use-able too.

The more I took off the more I wanted to go. Stopped shy of the window guards. may paint those black. I am not liking chromish trim on this thing.

Pinch weld trim was pried off like opening a frikkn can. They are destroyed and in the recycle bin already :hmm:. Had to be done because the entire seams are at least a little, towards the rear they are almost gone entirely.

Seniors are already attacking. got home to a TOW IT notice, Only took 48 hours of parking before they started the clock on it. Shitty thing is there is a goddamn Toyota Cressida that has been parked across the street since I have lived here and no one seems to care, Blown out shocks and stuffed to the gills with old Hoarder crap. Guess who is getting the next tow tag now.... :angry: :devil: :fu:

Here we see a pre-historic camber plate....love it.

377197_10151233511516383_2080617639_n.jpg

I was told that the 710s had camber issues that the only way an alignment shop could fix was to throw on a set of Moog camber plates. Yup my goon has them too. They came in handy with the Maxima strut swap

aircon710003Large.jpg