510 gOOn: To Rack or not to Rack?

DatDoug

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of torn. I dig your wagon without it, but there's a burgundy goon down near my work that has a factory looking rack and I love the look of his as well. Personally, I'm not too sure that I'd be in love with it enough to actually drill into the roof though if it were mine.

took it off a 610 wagon boneyard.. what? ..... . none of that sounds good ... :confused: ... pics?

610 wagon: A car that Datsun made in the 70's

Boneyard: Junkyard, also known as wrecking yard. A place where automobiles go to die

It looks like it belongs there. What I mean by that is that it's nothing special. Lots of wagons have stock racks so adding it won't make it stand out from the crowd. It's also a bunch of work to remove it. I have a lame homemade rack on mine but it's gutter mount so I can change the look of my car in under a minute. Don't get me wrong -- I like the look of the stock racks but it's a commitment to add one to a car that doesn't already have it. My vote is keep it slick.

Wagon's just need a rack to look right in my opinion, and you found a good one, but... I like the idea of trying it out for a while with some 3M double stick, no chance of it falling off using that stuff. They look good with just the strips alone as well.

FYI, mine had an original one, and it had 5 strips, looks like your's has four.

2009-05-20-011-small.jpg

Personally I like the rack... I would mount it. But I would also think about getting it powder coated to possibly match your rims. I think that would be badass. You obviously like the rack enough to have bought it, so I think you should just do it.

If that were the case he would have just bought it and posted a FS thread saying he saved it from the crusher. A part of the Douger really wanted it and I think he should do it. Racks are sweet. His wagon is a really clean example so throwing some crazy Thule/Yakima rack on it would kill it. Stock rack FTW.

I like the powder coat idea. That WOULD set it apart from all the others.

Exactly. Sometimes simple and subtle differences made it 100x's better. Im sure JRock could coat that easily and I've seen his color selection... I bet there's one to match that RB gunmetal.

If that were the case he would have just bought it and posted a FS thread saying he saved it from the crusher. A part of the Douger really wanted it and I think he should do it. Racks are sweet. His wagon is a really clean example so throwing some crazy Thule/Yakima rack on it would kill it. Stock rack FTW.

Drilling holes will kill it. It looks fine, but I wouldn't drill through perfect 40 year old metal. I'd go with some stick tape if you are just going for looks. If you are going for usefulness I'd go with a mount off the drop rails.

But then again, not my car but that's what I would do. It does look good.

• Like 1

Picked up this rack @ the boneyard off a 610 wagOOn. I like it :thumbup: Just a lil wary of drilling holes in my roof :confused:

What do u think :poke: ?

007.jpg

Fun fact. I helped make that steel silhouette on the right side of your shop. With the three little flute playin dudes(technical name I'm sure).

• Like 1

Drilling holes will kill it. It looks fine, but I wouldn't drill through perfect 40 year old metal. I'd go with some stick tape if you are just going for looks. If you are going for usefulness I'd go with a mount off the drop rails.

But then again, not my car but that's what I would do. It does look good.

It would only kill it if he decides to remove the rack in the future. Otherwise the wagon will still look clean.

We will just have to see what he decides to do.

I took my rack off because I didn't like the fact that it was bolted to the car.... There was a ratsun member making some interesting vw style looking racks that clamp to the rain gutters, and there are several companies that make them too. Personally I like the retro style racks, like the one you've got and the VW variety, but wood slats with a steel cage looks better IMHO. Yakima racks look to big an bulky...

I took my rack off because I didn't like the fact that it was bolted to the car.... There was a ratsun member making some interesting vw style looking racks that clamp to the rain gutters, and there are several companies that make them too. Personally I like the retro style racks, like the one you've got and the VW variety, but wood slats with a steel cage looks better IMHO. Yakima racks look to big an bulky...

X2

Rite On! :thumbup: Thanks for all the input Ratsunites. I really like the look of the wagOOn with a rack. Ever since I bought this sar I felt it needed a rack. I dont want to powder coat it tho. I like the old weathered look. I will double side tape it for now.

As long as it goes on, it will look tits. Good choice Doug.

ANd complete side note, but do you actually have a profile picture?- or did you upload the broken image gif and are using that? It confuses me every time I see it because I dont know if there was a problem uploading your picture or youre just trying to pysch us out.

If you look at your profile on the left of all your postings. There is your username, then title, then picture and location. Your pictures just shows up as a red X... thats the internation interwebz sign for broken image link. I didnt know if there was actually a problem, or you uploaded a red X as a joke just to fuck with people that would notice.