Nissans answer to the RBZ

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing something. Chevy/Nissan/Toyota were nowhere near the first electric car. Maybe the first mass produced, but the technology has been around since the 1905 with the Studebaker electric cars.

They're nothing like what we have now, but they were electric cars.

1903stud1.jpg

Point for MM, Jay Leno has one of these that he's drives around. I think he has a different one one too.

Oil crisis of 1972?

Yar, the 1973 Oil Crisis (splitting hares on the year ya?) but from my understanding this event that happened is what lead to the decline of the big american v8 muscle cars and saw the invasion of the J-tin gas savers. Sudden the Big three are caught with nonthing that can compete with them and scarmable to make small, gas friendly cars. (I beileve this why most of the small American cars were built so poorly.)

the problem with the old Big three is they can't design small... so they import small designs or rebadge cars from other makers... worst recent case in point... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo

the aveo is made by Daewoo.. once called the worst car in america when they tried to sell cars here in the early 90's.

Vega was hatched too early with too much untested engine tech.

B210 or Dodge Arrow/Plymouth Cricket? Chevy LUV, Ford Courier or Datsun 620?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_import

http://wot.motortrend.com/the-top-10-worst-rebadges-of-all-time-2323.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/5-rebadged-cars-you-never-knew-existed

The invasion of Japanese cars happened long before the oil crisis. Read up some history on these topics. From real books, not from web forums.

How about first hand experience from a muscle car owner who 6 years later owned a B-210? Hell if it hadn't been for gas prices I may never have bought a $50 510..... and liked it so much I had no problems buying that B-210. My JapCrap was better in every way that the domestic shit they shoveled us. Only Chrysler came close to getting it right by delaying until the late '70 to introduce the Omni/Horizon.

Oil crisis of 1972?

Oh was it '73? Well they say if you remember the '70s you did it wrong.

You know the stupidest thing about Japan winning the automotive title? We gave them the technology as reparations from WWII. They took it, made it better, and damn if they aren't on top now. Though history repeats itself. I suspect eventually we will get back on the right track and possible regain footing as the premier automotive makers. Probably only if I start the car company I'd like to. I'd run the big three out of business. :)

I don't think 'you' gave them the technology but you did dump some old shit outmoded, outdated machinery tooling and patents and lots of encouragement. What they couldn't win by war they won by economics.

• Like 2

I don't think 'you' gave them the technology but you did dump some old shit outmoded, outdated machinery tooling and patents and lots of encouragement. What they couldn't win by war they won by economics.

^someone like this for me, I'm out :rofl:

• Like 1

You know the stupidest thing about Japan winning the automotive title? We gave them the technology as reparations from WWII. They took it, made it better, and damn if they aren't on top now.

sorta true... but you're looking at the wrong country for the technology when it comes to auto's... American Cars and powerplants were too big for japan, and it took until the early 50's before Gasoline was something an average citizen could get. Chevys and fords were sold and built in Japan both before and after the war, but the tech was never licensed to Japanese automakers AFIK. Nissan did get tech from Graham Paige prewar... they bought the Nissan 70 tooling and assy line from G-P.

Production of the Model 70 began in 1937 after Nissan took advantage of financial difficulties at the American company Graham-Paige to purchase everything necessary to build that company's mainstay cars and trucks in Japan, from the production drawings to the manufacturing tooling. Standard and deluxe sedans were built, priced at 4000 and 4500 yen, respectively. The standard version had the beauty of a passenger vehicle while being designed with spacious seats to satisfy a wide variety of business uses. The rear of the car featured 2 auxiliary seats in addition to a conventional rear seat that could fit 3 people comfortably, meaning that the Model 70 could accommodate either 5 or 7 passengers. The seats were manufactured with high-class hair locks and special materials to make the cushions soft, and the upholstery was created using 2 materials, an entirely Japanese woolen cloth and a teremp cloth. The front windshield used safety glass and an open/close type ventilator for improved air circulation. The body of the car had an all-steel construction.

this site rocks http://www.jsae.or.jp/autotech/menu01-1e.html tells the story of japanese auto advancements.

Almost all Japanese cars postwar were based on British or french cars using their licensed patents and with help from those companies. Nissan bought Austin patents, Hino(toyota) bought Renault) honda built nothing till the 60's Prince is rumoured to have made Mercedes parts under license. Mazda and Mitsu built Kei 3 wheelers, Isuzu built Hillman imps?

I'm not saying we gave them the plans to build the 240z car, but I am saying we ended the war with horrific acts (granted justified at the time) and then gave them quite a bit of help and technology that we may not have used. But you give someone an inch, particularly when they see it as a matter of national pride to best who had previously bested them, and that will make one hell of a motivational factor. Hence, why they kicked ass on a lot of things automotive moreso than we did.

I dont want to start a history or politics argument but declassified cables from the president and Mcnamara blatantly show that Japan was weeks from surrendering and that they had to drop the bombs quickly before that happened. I read the originals under glass in Hiroshima. Right next to the life size diorama reenacting a photo of zombified crying children with their skin melting from their bodies.

USA dropped atomic bombs on Japan for 2 major reasons. One being that the project was the most espensive military project to date EVER in the world let alone USA. So they needed to show that money went to the war effort. Second is flat out research on what atomic bombs would do to densely populated areas because we knew Russia could be next. Reading the papers they sent back and forth picking places by set guidelines of high civilian population, high infrastructer, minor military precence etc... was fucking sickening. The USA under Mcnamara's guidance was already high altitude fire bombing the mostly wood cities of Japan every day for weeks, not only purposely targeting civilians but using methods that would cause the most lasting damage among the civilian population. We're talking 30-80% of EVERY major city in Japan already destroyed by fire bombing by the time the atomic bombs were dropped. Every city except of course the proposed top 5 targets for the Atomic bombs to come. Because they wanted those cities to remain pristine so they could properly gauge and study the aftermath.

Both USA and Japans hands were very dirty in the war but I cant stand to read or hear people say that those atomic bombs were anything but a fucking war crime.

Then back to topic they certainly did persevere. They learned the hard way, same as England, that imperialism is bullshit and that a centralized nation with pride and dignity can overcome even the most catastrophic events. Something I wish America could learn in my lifetime.

• Like 1

I dont want to start a history or politics argument but declassified cables from the president and Mcnamara blatantly show that Japan was weeks from surrendering and that they had to drop the bombs quickly before that happened. I read the originals under glass in Hiroshima. Right next to the life size diorama reenacting a photo of zombified crying children with their skin melting from their bodies.

USA dropped atomic bombs on Japan for 2 major reasons. One being that the project was the most espensive military project to date EVER in the world let alone USA. So they needed to show that money went to the war effort. Second is flat out research on what atomic bombs would do to densely populated areas because we knew Russia could be next. Reading the papers they sent back and forth picking places by set guidelines of high civilian population, high infrastructer, minor military precence etc... was fucking sickening. The USA under Mcnamara's guidance was already high altitude fire bombing the mostly wood cities of Japan every day for weeks, not only purposely targeting civilians but using methods that would cause the most lasting damage among the civilian population. We're talking 30-80% of EVERY major city in Japan already destroyed by fire bombing by the time the atomic bombs were dropped. Every city except of course the proposed top 5 targets for the Atomic bombs to come. Because they wanted those cities to remain pristine so they could properly gauge and study the aftermath.

Both USA and Japans hands were very dirty in the war but I cant stand to read or hear people say that those atomic bombs were anything but a fucking war crime.

Then back to topic they certainly did persevere. They learned the hard way, same as England, that imperialism is bullshit and that a centralized nation with pride and dignity can overcome even the most catastrophic events. Something I wish America could learn in my lifetime.

LOL!

I hope it isnt finalized as a hot hatchback. Im sicka those. Those are so 90s. Also,, I hope it does not mimic the brz frs look. I would like to be able to id the new car when I see it on the road.

Aye tho I think they won't go that route less they just really wanna kill the Z off once and for all. As for the looks, I'd think they would to keep the styling of the 370 put into a much lighter, sleeker package that everyday guys and gals (Like us on Ratsun) could afford to drive unlike the bloated monster the Z has evolved into today. As for the inline four, I think that's just alot of talk but when you think about it, does anyone make an inline 6 anymore?

Idk about all that, most of bimmers "ultimate" driving machines these days are v8s, including I believe the entire M series. The 1 series is pretty cool, Im surprised it doesnt get the play it deserves. A cheap (for a bimmer) 2 door twin turbo inline 6. Pretty neat if you ask me lol. I guess the price of the TT and weight keep it down off all the cool guys lists.

As for all the various Z talk like Mike said concepts are just that. Its scary though to see the ideas Nissan is playing with. The total wrong direction.