Nissans answer to the RBZ

In Skibs post I mentioned that I thought Nissan and others would follow suite to compete with the RBZ's success. Today I found this article. I knew it was coming but I had no idea it would be so queer. You know Renault is really ruining Nissan. Turning a company of innovation into some bargain basement plastic fantastic money maker.

Nissans answer the the RBZ, the "Mini-Z"

http://www.motortren...target_frs_brz/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of hard to tell which is the mini-z. The main picture is the grey one and it says the design shifted from a hatchback to a coupe, but there's more pictures of the white hatchback. I'm glad Nissan is doing something in response, bit my two biggest issues are that it's FWD and [possibly] a hatchback. No one cares about either of those... Especially in a Z.

I'm not going to lie, I come from a line of 7 previous vehicles and all of them had AWD platforms so if there's a turbo AWD version from the factory, I may want my first new car in a long time.

I honestly dont give a shit about the concept drawings. 1.6 turbo fwd in conjunction with "z" is all I care about and its the saddest part in that article. Nissan/Renault is doing what it has been doing since the word go. Putting out the most substance-less but most profitable thing they can think of for the category. Lots of little kids will buy up a cheap turbo hatch and it will make them lots of money. It is however NOT a real response to the BRZ, a true every mans sports car. The mini Z is another cookie cutter money maker from a company going to shit.

It's really sad.

No one bought the last eclipse because there was no performance but a nice big price tag lol. They went back to their roots of making a car that a hair dresser would buy though, thats always nice.

• Like 1

As someone into the Eclipse scene, we were all crushed when the 2000 (3rd gen) came out: ugly, heavy, all FWD, and expensive. I'm really hoping they come to their senses and make the grey coupe shown and RWD/AWD. Maybe that will bring them out of the crap car slump their in. With as much love as the BRZ gets and the still strong car scene, it blows my mind why Nissan still overlooks bringing back the Silvia line.

I've been interested in the toybaru as a potential fun car to pick up in the future as it fits my requirements of relatively light and RWD. I say relatively light as my street/race 1200 weighs in at 1675 or so…

The mini-Z is just another FWD car, not a competitor for the Toybaru. “Sporty FWD” is an oxymoron in my book.

You know Renault is really ruining Nissan.

You have no clue the headache Renault has created for Nissan.

Really.

13s. 16s. 18s. If you don't know what I mean, consider yourself lucky.

Turning a company of innovation into some bargain basement plastic fantastic money maker.

Leaf much?

Nissan is still an industry leader.

Except now they get to use Renault's money to continue progression.

Also, blame America for your boring econo-box new car.

No one else.

As American's, we dictate the industry.

Nothing more than a bunch of lazy, boring individuals.

from a company going to shit.

Far from.

• Like 2

Nissan/Renault is doing what it has been doing since the word go. Putting out the most substance-less but most profitable thing they can think of for the category.

It's really sad.

Truth is Nissan was pushed to verge of bankruptcy because people say they want twin turbo z cars and the like but people don't put their money where the mouths are and actually buy them. New z car comes out, maybe 2 or 3 pre orders. New altima comes out, preorders out the wazoo. Versa's, Sentra's, Rogue's can't keep them on the lot. Renault and Ghosn saved Nissan and brought them back to relevenancey.

My .02

edit: just saw Flatcat's post, what he said

• Like 1

Going to shit substance wise is what I meant and far from nothing the entire line is watered down bullshit. Since the partnership they have grown tremendously financially. Thats the whole point. Your using the leaf as an example of innovative? lmao They copy cat the idea, propaganda, design etc from like 5 other manufacturers, some of which were doing it a decade+ ago.

They killed the silvia twice.

They cheapened and completely made boring the 350z, 370 is a step in the right direction but still pretty low.

They release the skyline stateside as a priced super car.

They watered down their entire line man.

Unless you're a Nissan worker/stock holder and are happy the company is making buku bucks good for you. The real car fans are all saddened by what Nissan is evolving into. Nissan from the 90's would slap Nissan/Renault in the mouth, seriously......

I call bullshit on chap 11, it was never even close to that. They got hit like everyone else got hit. They started using the poor man car method to dig out yes, but then they decided to focus on just that and leave its fans wayside. They arent the only ones that did it, not by a long shot. The market is what it is, but others are evolving and have evolved past it.

What's an RBZ?

What Nissan would have released if Renault didnt take its balls. lol Google it, love it or hate it, its an interesting fun car.

lol Indy, I'll take that rbz

Carlos ghosn may have saved Nissan but he's going to forever fuck their image if they keep letting Renault design influence their new cars. A fwd platform to compete with a rwd platform is about the stupidest idea I can think of.

An awd version is even stupider. Fuck Renault for screwing shit up, fuck Nissan for continuing to let Renault have their way. We need another Mr. K in the ranks.

At least most infinitis aren't FWD POS.

I like the G37.

You guys also have to remember this is Japan selling in America..

Land of American V8s and wimpy Japscrap.

People naturally like Chevys better than Nissans.

Can you imagine a V8 redneck buying a datsun....

wait a second..

The RBZ is an answer to what -- what was the question?

The RBZ is the Subu version of the Toyota FRS. Same car, have different front facisca and the Subu comes with a nicer int and fog lights.

Leaf copied? From what?

Nissan owns every bit of technology built into the Leaf.

Proprietary information. Owned.

No one can do what Nissan is doing with the Leaf.

NO ONE!

Maybe not but the Chevy volt comes dam near close. I think what 72240 is trying to say is that others have had the idea way before Nissan did, they never saw an all ele car true potential. Gm had an ele prototype in the early 90's but killed due to poor design and fuction. The Telsa Roadster was the first all ele car but it was out way before the Leaf even hit the drawing boards.

Hmm, well I'll shut about the Leaf, seems my info was way off.

Edit,

But to recap, no one is bringing down the Leaf, I for one hope it kills the Toyota Prius! The whole point(from my view) is that Nissan is going down in flames when it comes to having an affordable RWD sports car and if that fat looking turd of a FWD is Nissan's answer to the FRS...then yes, Nissan has lost and needs to leave the sports car market all together.

I mean, let's face it, the 350 and 370 Z are Bass ass cars but who here can afford one, let alone the insurance for one, I sure as hell can't. Back when the 350z was still selling new on the lots (2 years before the 370) I did not see one under 35,000. Now that BRZ/FRS has hit the scene, Nissan has nothing, period. I for one like everyone else on this topic would hope Nissan get's it's balls back and brings back a new 240sx but who knows.

• Like 1

"Though Nissan didn't reveal the concept's powertrain in Shanghai... "

CONCEPT.... I'm so tired of post about concept cars as if they are being driven around on our streets. Concept cars rarely make it into production and even rarer are they unchanged. (watered down) It's all hype.

" China is thought to be the car's main market, but Japan and some European countries are destined to receive small batches as well, with the U.S. still under consideration."

UNDER CONSIDERATION....double speak for "we want you to think you're getting them but you won't and we never said you were"

Carlos ghosn may have saved Nissan but he's going to forever fuck their image if they keep letting Renault design influence their new cars. A fwd platform to compete with a rwd platform is about the stupidest idea I can think of.

An awd version is even stupider. Fuck Renault for screwing shit up, fuck Nissan for continuing to let Renault have their way. We need another Mr. K in the ranks.

Fuck Nissan is right Matt. I don't give a shit what Nissan does or has done since the 90s. It's best work is in the past.

Also, blame America for your boring econo-box new car.

No one else.

As American's, we dictate the industry.

Nothing more than a bunch of lazy, boring individuals.

Like our governments, we get what we deserve. Serves us right. We've been out-bread and swamped by a tide of FWD air bag GPS Sat Nav wussies. That's who dictates what we get... so I guess fuck them too!!!

Chevy's first attempt at and electric car was not squashed due to bad design. \

Quite the opposite.

Nissan is falling behind with the current market...but that would be only if Nissan was aiming at that demographic.

They're not. Not Nissan of North America at least.

i rode around Gardena in 2004 in a Nissan full electric car... nissan has been monkeying with electrics since the 70's... Prince, the company that Nissan bought/merged with, was making production electric cars in 1948... they were used as taxis... they had a roll in, roll out battery pack that was changed out every 40 to 50 miles.

It's all about the batteries... This is were the Tesla falls down... it uses really basic but very expensive battery tech,,,,

The battery technology is the only thing holding back the electric car... the volt is only as good as it is because it has two power systems... gas and electric. Take out the gas generator iand it's not far different than the Leaf.

Now the Nissan FES all electric sporstcar... seen it in person... is awesome...IMG_2875.jpg