Car out of CA DMV system

What is required to get the title back for the car is out of the CA DMV system? Previous owner has a writter bill of sale with vin,door badge info and proof of releasing to me including amount payed ?(also text emails supporting it). Is Do I just go to the DMV with biil of sale and license plate to retrieve a title under my name? I rather just have everything ready so i dont have to make a second trip since everyone knows DMV is a flucking nightmare.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is required to get the title back for the car is out of the CA DMV system? Previous owner has a writter bill of sale with vin,door badge info and proof of releasing to me including amount payed ?(also text emails supporting it). Is Do I just go to the DMV with biil of sale and license plate to retrieve a title under my name? I rather just have everything ready so i dont have to make a second trip since everyone knows DMV is a flucking nightmare.

You need a "real" bill of sale from the DMV (and lost title form,, etc.) ... it took me 2 trips to Bay Area DMV's before I gave up and went to Grass Vally DMV

by that time I had my "story" straight,, and knew what the DMV wanted to hear/see.... got a temp tag to drive back and get the vehicle inspection/license plates

With my car I took all the paperwork I had - old reg. cards and bill of sale. They still wanted the previous owners signature and DL number on a certain form that they gave me and to bring down the car so they could verify the vin's. After that the car was back in the system and a new title ordered.

Yah, towing company's have easy ways to make it happen when nobody claims a car here is WA.

Best wishes with that! I'm on a three year wait for a title after having the 1200 inspected because it was out of the system, last registered owner unknown, and no paper work from PO. They registered it in my name and gave me current tabs so it is legal to drive, just no title issued in my name for three years (been thru this before).

Guys don't part out your Datsun because its out of DMV. My 68 510 had been out of system for some time when I got it. It had OG black and yellow matching plates. I only had a bill of sale thats it, I just got a vin verification (prices vary depending on person) usually come to your house and do it right there takes about 20 mins. The hardest part about registering it, was getting them to let me keep my black and yellow plates they had to send them to Sacramento to make sure they were clear plates.

Guys don't part out your Datsun because its out of DMV. My 68 510 had been out of system for some time when I got it. It had OG black and yellow matching plates. I only had a bill of sale thats it, I just got a vin verification (prices vary depending on person) usually come to your house and do it right there takes about 20 mins. The hardest part about registering it, was getting them to let me keep my black and yellow plates they had to send them to Sacramento to make sure they were clear plates.

My Z is fawked..

Though bannarama reminded me.. I'm saving this bisch.

When I regged my 510, they wouldn't let me keep my blue and yellow ones.. cunts.

now I got the gay ass white and blue ones..

Maybe get new plates with same numbers?

How did you manage just a vin check?

Well I don't know about other states but here in Cali there are people who specialize in doing vin verifications and othe DMV related stuff who are licensed by DMV to do so. This guy came over had Vin verirfication paperwork from DMV checked my VIN on firewall that was about it filled out paper work put his DMV ID # and the was about it. I think it was $60 or $75 because he had to come to me would have been cheaper if I brought to him.

Well I don't know about other states but here in Cali there are people who specialize in doing vin verifications and othe DMV related stuff who are licensed by DMV to do so. This guy came over had Vin verirfication paperwork from DMV checked my VIN on firewall that was about it filled out paper work put his DMV ID # and the was about it. I think it was $60 or $75 because he had to come to me would have been cheaper if I brought to him.

This by far the "Best way" to do it in California. I have titled at least 6 cars in the last couple years with no title by calling my connection doing a "Lien sale". It's pretty cheap. Cost varies, but if you look on craigslist or google it in your area , you'll find someone who will do the leg work for you.

Maybe get new plates with same numbers?

CA DMV will not issue "custom" plates with any sequence that has previously been issued.

So if your old plates were standard issue such as ABC 123, you cannot get that as a custom plate.

I hear people claiming to have done this, but have never seen proof that this works.

How did you manage just a vin check?

First thing is DON'T go to the DMV. Use one of the places in a strip mall that do reg for you. They will get it done and you won't have to wait in line.

But the best part is you don't have to deal with the dip shits at DMV.

I've done it a couple of times and it all worked out. And they saved me quite a bit of money.

This is really not a big deal. Just make an appointment at DMV (call them) and you will not have to stand in line for hours. (just did this yesterday)

Bring the car on a trailer and they should be able to do a vin check right then. as long as you have a statement of facts, stating car has been stored at (make up an address) for 10 years or so. It's out of there system, they dont care as long as your paper work is in order.

CA DMV will not issue "custom" plates with any sequence that has previously been issued.

So if your old plates were standard issue such as ABC 123, you cannot get that as a custom plate.

I hear people claiming to have done this, but have never seen proof that this works.

I was talking more along the lines of...

coincidentally find a plate with the same numbers and letters with yellow and blue.. :sneaky: