New South Dakota 620

Hello, all. My name is Wyatt, and I'm the new owner of a 1975 Datsun 620 regular cab short box.

To make a long story short, I've always liked Datsuns, but they're extremely uncommon in my area, so finding one (in moderate condition) has taken a while. I looked by myself for about five months, then enlisted the help of a friend who owns a dealership (and happens to be a retro-import fanatic). Last week he found the 620 in Miles City, Montana while he was at an auction for a VW Vanagon. It has a little body damage here and there (needs a new passenger-side front fender and valance), and sat for a while, but miraculously has only surface rust. The floorboards are fully intact, the bed is perfectly fine (rust wise), and everything is still there as far as I can tell (I'm taking tomorrow off so I can start cleaning everything and assessing what must be replaced). It sat for quite a few years, so it does not run, but that actually makes me more excited for it, as I've not had a project vehicle yet. Not bad for $125, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

She was indeed neglected a bit, but the good news is that I plan on doing a slow restoration to ensure I get everything right. Luckily I know (and work with) a Datsun fanatic (he owns three 240's, two 510's, a 720, and more spare parts than I'd know what to do with), so he's given me some great insight on restoration pertaining to the 620. Also, the rust looks worse in the pictures than in real life. I rapped on the floorboards pretty hard and they feel much more solid than that picture suggests.

As of now the plan is to reconnect the tank (I dropped it last week to find it in great shape), replace hoses and lines, install the carb kit (in the mail now), purchase a new battery and see if the motor will turn over. It was full of oil and about three quarters full of antifreeze, so I'm hoping that's a good sign of what's to come. Any insight is always appreciated though!

I'm not alone! It'll be an absurdly long conversation if we talk about what I want to get done. B)

Thanks, banzai510, I'll check it out. I've never been the biggest fan of orange, but I have definitely considered keeping it that way.

• 3 months later...

HEY! i just stumbled upon this thread!

I'm in Sturgis and also have a 620!

I just bought a bumper and a valance off of parts train, and they sent me 4 valances. If you're interested in one let me know!

I'm just about street legal with mine, and it will actually be at the Drift event in Sturgis on Nov. 25th. Let me know if you guys wanna do a datsun meet!

• Like 1