72 521 diff.

konig209

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the early 720 diff. will bolt right into your 521 rearend housing.

I was adding to Wayno's comment about the 720. As they also come in 4x4 and around '82/'83 the 4x4 diff flange changed because of a larger diameter driveshaft. I know because I put one in my 620 and my driveshaft would not bolt up. Also later 4x4's changed the rear end entirely to a C-200. So look for 2wd.

If you are cannibalizing a 521, do not cut the rear brake cables. Last I heard they are NLA from the factory.

Yea, I would agree with this, I was more or less talking about 720s, as the e-brake cables are a pain.

Keep in mind that I said it was the FAST way to remove a 3rd member.

You will understand what DanialC means if you ever need a 521 e-brake cable, or any other 521 part.

So i went to pick n pull 720 3rd member was no bueno. So i got another 521 3rd. I inspected it no play fluid had nice color almost no metal on the plug so i took it home.

Look the same but looked at the numbers on one and the other mine is 35:8 new one says 35:9 is that an issue?

It went in kinda hard everything went well exept passenger axel goes in but the brake part and everything wont go in all the way.....and when i try to tighten the nuts a lil the axel itself gets some sort of tention and itls difficult to turn only the passenger side :-/

So i went to pick n pull 720 3rd member was no bueno. So i got another 521 3rd. I inspected it no play fluid had nice color almost no metal on the plug so i took it home.

Look the same but looked at the numbers on one and the other mine is 35:8 new one says 35:9 is that an issue?

It went in kinda hard everything went well exept passenger axel goes in but the brake part and everything wont go in all the way.....and when i try to tighten the nuts a lil the axel itself gets some sort of tention and itls difficult to turn only the passenger side :-/

Did you pull it out of the 521 yourself?

The axle should drop in all the way, never had one do what you are saying, sometimes you have to kinda aim the axle blindly into the hole, try again.

Did you pull it out of the 521 yourself?

The axle should drop in all the way, never had one do what you are saying, sometimes you have to kinda aim the axle blindly into the hole, try again.

the axle goes streight into place turns and everything but wont go in all the way where the 4 14mm bolts it wont sit inside the cups idk whats going on in there i pulledbit out put it in from the left to the right from bottom to the top spining and not every way possible nothing.

the axle goes streight into place turns and everything but wont go in all the way where the 4 14mm bolts it wont sit inside the cups idk whats going on in there i pulledbit out put it in from the left to the right from bottom to the top spining and not every way possible nothing.

This is your axle that you pulled out from your rearend housing before you removed the old pumpkin, and put the new one in, correct?

Its not the axle.not going into place its the things that sit in the grease cups for some reason it wont set back in :-(

Grease cups??

Are you talking about the bearing?

If it came out, it will go back in, unless the grease picked up a foreign object like a rock.

Make sure you push the shims all the way on to the axle mount bolts, clean all the dirt you can off, then install it.

If it still won't go in, then something was not installed properly.

The pumpkin is bolted in and all the nuts are tight, correct?

I guess the bearings are what u say i didnt pull the axle all the way out all i did was pull it far enough for the pumpkin to come out.

Sometimes the shims get caught in the threads, but I see no reason that it would cause the axle to bind, as you said earlier.

Why are you replacing the rearend pumpkin? Ok I just checked the first page, does the axle spin freely when it is not engaged in the diff?

You are to far away to look at it, there is something either in the way, or not lining up, and the other axle dropped in, so I have not a clue.

Yeah it engages where it is at the moment spins the other side and drive shaft ive played with the bearing checked inside all seems in place could the axle on the 72 be longer than the 71?

The diffs are all the same, you can put a 84 720 diff into a 66 datsun 520 as long as you use the 66 axle.

I put 84ish 720 diffs into NL/L320 pickups, and they are a lot narrower than a 720, I just put the 320 side gears into the 720 diff, and the 320 axles drop right in, no issues.

Everything from 1966 520s to 1984 720 2WD pickups have the same axle teeth, so a 1971 axle will drop into a 1980 diff, as well as the 1966 diff will work a 1984 datsun 720 2WD pickup.

Something is in the way/binding if it won't drop all the way in, as you said the otherside is bolted in.

Soooo what was it? Something silly huh :)

C'mon now, ya can't not tell us!

You reaaaaaaalllllllly wanna knoooow????

I honestly dont know haha :)

i got up fully rested went out there pulled the e brake cable loose pulled the axle out turned it a few times nothing wrong felt inside the grease cups shoved it in and it worked....