Frame swaps, 620 body onto 720? D21?

I've heard 620 Cab and box will go onto 720 frame, sounds interesting as I have both sat here. What about D21, is that much wider? They have bigger brakes (and vented) than 720 and have single piston floating calipers. Not sure of other differences but things do tend to get wider with age so I wondred if it was wider?

Wheelbases same? Rear axle same width?

Also D21 I have seen with Power Steering, but we never got power steering option on 720 here in the UK.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two mounts at the front and the four under the cab are the same for all cab sizes. (reg and KC) The front most box mounts were too far forward and were almost under the KC cab. I cut them off and moved them back 8-9". Other than that the bolts more or less lined up.

• Like 1

Well that's really getting into it..... The 620 has a one piece steering column that mounts on the inside of the frame rails beside the engine. The 720 is on the outside of the frame leaving lots of room by the motor for accessories like power steering and air con. I think I was able to use the through bolt holes and simply mount the 620 box on the inside of the frame. Not all the bolt holes lined up.

Around this time I installed an early zx power steering box and 720 column. But the zx box did mount inside the frame.

• 1 year later...

I am about to do the same swap with a 720 diesel doner truck. I have both cabs stripped.I am using the wiring harness ,column and ac from the 720 into the 620 kc

The square headlights are wired differently than the round headlights, you will have to make pigtails like I did or change the wire positions in the headlight plugs.

You will also have to wire the brights indicator with 2 wires and isolate it from the ground in the instrument cluster, if you use the one wire(which one?), it will screw up the headlight circuit.

I have done all this, wiring the 720 harness into the 521 instrument cluster was a pain, you will have to wire the gauge lights to the key, as they are also a two wire light, and if grounded they will not work, all these lights on the 720 have two wires and no grounds except for the one at the gauge light adjuster, and the headlights at the relay.

The lighting system is a pain in the ass in a 720, it's very complicated, you can ground the oil pressure light, ignition light and turn signals like normal in the instrument cluster.

I really don't know how the later 620s were wired, I am assuming that they are like the 521.

I found it easier to use the 720 e-brake system in my 521, handle and everything, I also used all the 720 column hardware, lights, wipers, everything.

The only thing I used in the 521 on the dash is the heater control knob, it's a one wire setup, I did not use the 720 heater relay, but as you are even going to use the AC, you will likely have to mount and pipe the whole system in your 620.

• 3 months later...

Were any of these vehicles your talking about imported from the USA to England?

I've heard 620 Cab and box will go onto 720 frame, sounds interesting as I have both sat here. What about D21, is that much wider? They have bigger brakes (and vented) than 720 and have single piston floating calipers. Not sure of other differences but things do tend to get wider with age so I wondred if it was wider?

Wheelbases same? Rear axle same width?

Also D21 I have seen with Power Steering, but we never got power steering option on 720 here in the UK.

Thanks!

I have been looking for a RHD 720 power steering gear for a few years now, they might have came on 4WD 720s in Australia as an option, but I have had no luck finding one yet.