Dawa

Dawa's 73 620 build

Hey dawa i beened reading your build..and just wanted to be sure on what wheel studs for the 620 did you purchase..thanks

• Like 1

Hey dawa i beened reading your build..and just wanted to be sure on what wheel studs for the 620 did you purchase..thanks

go check out post #31

• Like 1

Love ur thread keep it up! How have your pinto shocks held up?... Love longbeds, they look really good slammed, look extra low cuz they are so long.

• Like 1

i am pleased to announce that after a hiatus, numerous deployments, and months spent at sea, and after the truck not running for years, that I finally got her fired up the other day, and that my build is back on.

my immediate plans are to get it back to a reliable and street legal status, which includes but is not limited to:

-changing out all the fuel hoses for new

-renewing the registration

-bleeding the brakes (if necessary)

after that, I should be able to drive it around town (and beyond!)

I have no super big plans at the moment, just need to get to driving her again. but I do plan on taking it all over the state and pnw to go to all the meets and meet Datsun buddies.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home

And thank you for your service...

I really love the "beater" Datsun trucks..you have a perfect look to yours....thanks for sharing on here...

MikeC

• Like 2

Welcome home.  You know your CO will not approve of a truck that is not spit shined!  LOL

• Like 3

Thank you for your service!

ok, update!

so Ive replaced all the fuel hoses, took it for a spin, she runs fine as ever, stops ok, too.

I park her, go back the next day, and there is oil on the ground. big puddle.

now, the bitch has always had a slight drip from the rear main seal, but this qas like at least a full quart of oil.

I lay on the ground and watch the bitch to see where this leak is coming from....

and its the goddamn dreaded (at least to me) leak from the metal AROUND the drain plug.

so I went out and bought some epoxy, and now im just waiting for all the oil to drain out, then clean the surface, and lay on some epoxy.

the other portion of getting her on the road is getting the tabs renewed. this is not as easy as it sounds.

I live in WA and she's registered in Cali. I have the original plates so im going to keep it that way.

the problem is that I renewed the tabs and they sent it to my old san diego address.

last week (7/25) I sent in the address request form. Yesterday (8/3) I call the dmv to get a status, and the lady says that forms received by mail like that typically take

4 weeks to process! so now I might have to wait another 3 weeks for this process, just to fill out the form for new tabs. furthermore, they will not change your address on the phone.

I will post photos tomorrows guys, im sorry. and sorry for the ranty explanation

• Like 2

ok here are some photos from workin on em

here we have my lil compressor & air line, used for blowing the fuel line free of debris (thanks for the tip, Teddy)

tumblr_pd0gweeJR61qe7x6po5_500.jpg

wait, where is the battery?

tumblr_pd0gweeJR61qe7x6po2_500.jpg

here it is, in the bed. 

tumblr_pd0gweeJR61qe7x6po3_500.jpg

one project of mine is a better, and better looking battery box.

here is what she looks like. within a couple months im gonna sand her back down to bare metal and experiment with different clear protective coatings.

tumblr_pd0gweeJR61qe7x6po1_500.jpg

lastly, here is a sneak peek of my new longbed. 

tumblr_pd0gweeJR61qe7x6po4_500.jpg

i say mine but its actually only 2/5's mine, im making payments. 

maybe some of you recognize this truck and know the owner. 

ill give you a hint, he is a local pnw guy....

• Like 3

Nice score. Thanks for the pics ?

• Like 1

took her out last week, ill post a lil mini story about that later.

I have been cleaning/organizing my garage. if you don't know, I have 8 vehicles right now, so I give a lil attention to each of them.

last week, the attention was goin to my SC300, replacing the front wheel bearings (first time ive ever done that, yay me.)

the 6ton harbor freight press that I bought just for the occasion was not enough for the task :/ might return it and just save up for a sturdier,

higher strength, American made model (vintage or antique hopefully <3)

ive slowly been cleanin/organizing the garage. once that's done ill be able to store and work on 2 vehicles in there insteada 1.

anyways, here are some aspirations for the truck:

1- bring the front end back down to bare (rustless) metal, try a different sealant.

-for this I bought a tool called 'the restorer'. ill post photos of the tool itself as well as the outcome.

2- better battery box.   ultimately I want to cut into the bed, and have the box be under the bed (with a hinged lid)

3- fix the rats nest of wires under the hood (make it prettier to look at, with brass/cooper accents)

4- I just learned about 'brass hot brushing', which is a 'form' of brass plating. I want to take the tailgate to bare metal, with brass "DATSUN"

5- get my carb better dialed in. also wanna install an AFR gauge to maybe help with this

6- speaking of gauges, I need to install my mooneyes triple gauge set.

7- install music player.

8- re index torsion bars, bring front end down an inch

9- make a skid plate to protect oil pan.

10- clean the bench seat. maybe dye it (black?)

11- replace/improve the seat belt(s)

12- make a center console/cup holder (hopefully outta brass )

13- make top hat w accompanying ducting for carb.

14- install hood dampers

ok that's enough day dreamin for now.

• Like 3

tumblr_phwzd4oTgR1qdz1uq_500.jpg

broken down in front of the wilco

problem/solution/comparison 

tumblr_phwzdxecQ91qdz1uq_500.jpgtumblr_phwzdyGvzx1qdz1uq_500.jpgtumblr_phwzdyIP6E1qdz1uq_500.jpg

my new toy for removing rust and paint

tumblr_phwzdzn4RE1qdz1uq_500.jpgtumblr_phwze0Im2W1qdz1uq_640.jpg

• Like 3

Buy a collection of those filters so you can just swap them out as they clog up. 

Truck looks good B)

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 12:20 AM, Dawa said:

tumblr_phwzd4oTgR1qdz1uq_500.jpg

broken down in front of the wilco

What wheels are these?  I like how it sits!