I want a Z

cdub42

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much a difference are we talking about, i didnt think it was too much? and yeah the 80's bumpers are ugly but you can always swap it out for an earlier one :)

i think some people are confusing a 280z with a 280zx a 280z wasnt sold in the 80s for starters the 240-280z and the 280zx are completly different cars

im not sure about anyone else but when iiiii said 80's bumper i meant the [2]80's bumper. i was just appreviating :)

and regardless of the bumper weight, the [2]80's bumper is just ugly to look out, so removing/swapping is always a good idea.

and cdub, that is an awesome color Z!

Ya I have seen a lot of those plates man, they are SAE GROSS stats. Do you run your engine on a stand with no accessories, headers, no muffler, in optimal settings? No you run it in your z and it makes, if your lucky about 130hp. I mean lucky too, 280z's dyno lower if they are all stock on a higher mileage motor.

Ya dont trust anything you read on the internet just continue on in ignorant bliss, where 280z bumpers weigh 100lbs and stock l28's make 170hp lol.

In case you or anyone else wants to take the plunge on interweb learnings here is the wiki on the l series engine and a nifty article explaining the old style of SAE gross vs our current standard of SAE net

L series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_L_engine

SAE gross vs net

http://ateupwithmotor.com/automotive-terms/47-gross-versus-net-horsepower.html

• Like 1

Nice score, looks like there may be some cool stuff in there, look hard and do your home work. Right off the ba tI can see a anse style exhaust on there, if its real its $$$

The hatch isnt necessarily series one, just early. Vert glass was used for like a year after series one. I also dont see vents int he hatch as per series one but they could have been filled I guess, though why anyone would do that is beyond me lol.

I personally like a whale tail but, a real Porsche style one, whats on there isnt very nice :-/.

Get the 240z together and take more pics! :-)

And don't forget Jay's wish to be the first person to travel to a find intelligent life on a faraway planet...and fuck it! "There he goes, homeboy fucked a Martian once." :rofl:

Score !!!! Very cool ... I always wondered what coke bottle mags would look like on my blue 240z :)

Thanks for the pics !!!

You're going to absolutely love the way your 240z drives.

A set of good struts and springs will go a long way if your's are in need ;) . Use good spring compressors though ! Brother told me of a story of a les-schwab employee have a strut spring fly out of a compressor and hit a guy a few feet away in the chest ... Was instantly dead ... It's serious shit and I cant believe what ghetto attempts are made at changing these :blink:

Be warned that the fusebox's tend to have issues. You can try to soak them in vinegar/solder them either way pay close attention.

I have had 3 of 4 240z's I've owned had melted/burned out fusebox's ... Only reason 4th did not melt was because I never drove the car (someone stripped it).

Motorsportauto has circuit board type fusebox's that are plug and play for about $150~$200 now ?.

The headlight and running light circuit get hot. Headlight switch connections melt or lose connectivity making the switch useless until repaired/re-soldered. The Headlight upgrade harness will help this problem ... but not remedy it. You need this if to upgrade your Headlight system.

Floor pans/floor pan frame rails/battery tray/rear hatch sill/wheel well lips/lower rocker/lower fender.... All are common spots for rust ... If you have it ... Don't worry about it ... Weld the sucker up ... Many patch panels available or just go to the metql yard and form own panels lol.

Driveline bolts come loose. Outer halfshaft bolts come loose. U-joints being broken are common (outer halfshafts and driveline). Mustqche bar bushings and tension control rod bushings are typically rotten.

You *can* use Poly type bushings on everything but tension control arms. Research hybridz.org and zcar.com as to reasons why. There are claims of Poly being supposively stiff there is no *give* and it snaps the TC ARM. I have decided perosnally not to take the chance.

Most bushings are failrly straight forward to replace :)

Fuel tanks are usually rusty .. u will see a some rust in the fuel filters lol . radiator shops will boil and seal then or upgrade to a baffled tank (if efi in future),75-76 280z fuel tanks are baffled qnd fit right in. Typically a budget type tank if you were to go L28et :).

No cram filters lol. Had one clog up and almost kill my L28 on me ... Clean engine and changed oil 3000 miles.

Windshield seal design is not the best and they sometimes leak lol. But hey it looks cool lol. Glass guys gritted their teeth looking at my s30 to bid for the work in replacing lol.

Zx distributors Is a budget upgrade (make sure to swap the base with) . All of my early 240z's have broken cages/rusty/will not advance ... Def something to check if you have a power issue. My brother has a Mallory Inj-lite mechanical advance distributor and noticed a HUGE difference when switching from a stock 240z points distributor or converted pertronix early dizzy. This is mostly opinion and not fact Haha. I noticed a difference when driving his car before versus after.

I would recommend cleaning/soldering in new connections in the Headlight/ignition/alternator/starter portions of your engine bay harness they tend to give trouble now and then.

Ignition tumblers wear out ... So bad almost any zcar key will git and turn it lol. New tumbler guts are available. As well ss complete units.

The electrical portions of the ignition switches go bad. 2 of 240z's had. I replaced them and not an issue since.

I had early miata seats in mine for comfort and extra support on a budget. Late ones might work too ... But some cheapo eBay seats could be better Idk Haha. Make sure the floor and seat brackets are not hacked up by some ass hat like mine were.

I highly recommend replacing all coolant hoses ... Heater core hoses are up to you though lol.

If you don't have a free_flow muffler... I recommend getting one :)

Bleed your brakes ... Flush your engine block/radiator/heater core and be amazed on all the veal that comes out ... Your engine temp will run more steady as well.

Oem temp thermostat

I read through this thread ... And I agree with 72240z on everything ... Except wiki is occasionally snorting crack haha. I've owned 240z and 280z stuff ... You don't think there is that much difference until you own/repair/chop through/see what swaps and see all the little differences. Structure of the cars is quite a bit different. Yeah 260z is quite a nice balance between the 3 ... Well put 72240z !

Most excellent score ! I will be watching ;)

DTP, thank you for the road map to "on the road".

Im pretty sure I'm gonna be on here picking brains and brewing ideas double time for the next few weeks.

The guy I got it from was pretty torn up about parting with it. I think he took solace in losing it to a guy who showed up to get it driving a Datsun, with just as many Datsun parts in my shop as he had in his. From what I gather his wife drew the line and made him get rid of some of his projects. He had some really cool mustangs he's building also. His wife drove off in my...errr...her new camaro. When they came back to deliver the second Z I could tell she was liking the camaro a lot. I still was sad to see my baby go, I'll miss that big bright striped bastard. It's the end of the era. My 6 year old son was PISSED! He didn't like anyone else driving "daddy's race car" you know your car is cool when a 6 year old says it is. Then again, he didn't want to go to bed. He wanted to start working on the 240. I totally know the feeling.

IMG_1126.jpg

Every classic Z I have bought, it was a painful event for the seller. I got my 71 when I was a low bidder because the guy liked that I was going to refurbish it back to stock. 2 other sellers lost out because of radical plans. Cutting the car, engine swaps, he just wasnt having it. Somehow they touch people, and get inside you. Ive had old man come over to me at the gas station, and I swear if I didnt know a little Z history, I thought he was going to to take a swing at me. As he left he was saying- "You got a good one, son. They were the _ _ _ _ back in their day. Couldnt nuthin beat em." I often think of that old man. I hope he sees the car again with its new paint, emblems, and shining bumpers. Even in primer and no trim, people would stop in traffic and hang out the window and say "Nice car!" Even had young kids say that. The S30 makes people smile, and that is what I like the most about it besides driving it, and working on them, how it effects people. Anybody can drive a new car.

• Like 1

I like the look of the orange one alot..they both look really straight .

where were those??

engine bay pics or ban.!!

comin right up. just walked in the door and am being sent for a pack of huggies.

Haha ! That's awesome ! It is a good feeling to have your beloved car go to a good home :)

Well... If its of any value ... There are always more Fanatic's but not as many 240z's ;) . I do like both though !

Gorgeous car ! I really do love the coke battle mags on it ... It's great you got 2 of them lol :thumbup:

i think its time this thread was migrated to a build thread.. lol.. its gone from not knowing what exactly i wanted to finding it.. to dragging it home... and tearing it down.

i didn't get as much done to it today as i wanted, baby girl started running a 103 fever. poor girl is teething, poor daddy was trying to console the unconsolable. i did manage to get a few bits done between naps and screaming. pulled the carpets out and cleaned the accumulation of gunk under. its got some rust but nothing I've found is bad. i got as far as pulling the drivers seat and drivers side carpets. it appears its had its floor pans replaced, and some minor surface rust.

aab351d2.jpg

looks much worse than it is

c19357d3.jpg

u can see the welds for the new metal. the rust looks really bad but is just surface. i need to educate myself on floor sealers that inhibit rust.

Excellent ! This *might* be an excellent opportunity to use the por-15 system on your floorboards inside and out !

Or an equilavent product.

Take a hose ... Turn it on ... And make sure the windshield does not leak

Checkout eastwood.com on their line of products ;)

Floors don't look bad at all !!!!

Ya 2nd por15 I have used a ton of it on my z's and other peoples stuff.

Check under the dash, windshield leaks can drip down the a pillar a well as the cowl vents can get clogged and or leak into the cabin from under the dash. Also check the doors.

I second eastwood too, one nifty thing they have is a 3ft hose that attaches to a rattle can of sealant so you can rust proof the inside of frame rails and a pillars etc... Very useful.

I'll be checking that after work. I think I'm gonna hold off on corrosion control Until I park it for the winter. I'm gonna start purging and cleaning the fluids. I wanna hear this bad boy growl

Cool ! Can't say I blame ya lol ;) ! I think lot of these products require a minimum temp and low humidity as well as a very well ventilated work area/outside. if you have a dry place to park obviously worry about it when you want to ;)

Yellow -metal safe GL-4 gear oil for your trans :)

I am watching this thread Haha :)