I want a Z

cdub42

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got it! its mine! came with a buttload of goodies too! i take delivery sunday. came with 3 webber 32/36 dgv intake, spare fenders, spare doors, spare whale tail deck lid, spare air dam, 5 speed tranny & the parts to do the swap, header, cat back, spare dash, and a complete 260 Z parts car. I'm literally about to explode with anticipation.

The whole '280z is heavier' thing is total bull unless you retain the stock bumpers, which are around 100 pounds a piece.

The only real difference would be the stock motor and the length. The L28 is a 2.8 litre monster that produces a stock 175, but can be upgrade to in the 300's with motor enternals and some triple carbs.

Now the 280z is around 2 1/2 inches (don't quote, just a measurement from mine to a friends 240z) which really isn't all that much.

In any case, Z cars are great fun, no matter what model!

Your wrong about everything you states besides Z cars being great fun lol.

Google the topic the front and rears are only like 40lbs dif including mounting hardware. The whole chassis has added layers of steel which makes it way stiffer. I used to cut junk sheels into 1/4's so I could load them into my pick up ad take them to the wrecker. The 240s had 2 layers os thins teel int he floors max where as the 280z had upwards of 5 layers in some areas like the rear tunnel and floors. Every generation of s30 has many differences. weight, rigidity, safety, looks etc.... each has its ups and downs.

The space also has nothing so do with putting seats backs as mentioned earlier. The seats dont go back just fyi lol. Even that being the case though there is a ton of room. I'm 6'1" and my feet dont come even close to the firewall in the passenger seat and driving its like a perfect fit.

Having driven parted owned just about all I would break it down like this.....

240z is pure, with timeless styling. its for someone who wants to feel everything and work for everything. You daily the car if you love it. Its the funnest by far of the options but its also one of the most taxing to drive for long periods or fighting though traffic.

260z is a nice blend of a 240 and 280. it keeps the purity of the 240 for the most part but adds safety and styling of the 280.

280z is best if you want some luxury options and or a stiff chassis to swap a engine into. 280z had factory ac optional and some other things that make dailying it much more livable. Though its heavier and with no power steering still it can be just as taxing after a while.

280zx is the red headed step child of the z series. Full of odd dated styling cues everywhere. I feel like you really have to love outside the box shit to love a s130 lol. They are dirt cheap and they have a lot of luxury options. Out of the bunch they would be the easiest to daily but also the most boring to drive. Its not very agile or fast stock, even the turbo but it has potential just like anything else.

I don't think I've ever seen a triple downdraft setup... Oics?

because unless some hillbilly welded one up it doesnt exist lol. Its like the triple su someone welded up, pointless. off the shelf would either be dual down or triple side. If its dual down sell them pos's and get either su's or triples.

well, its my first Z, and i may have publicly made an ass of myself.. it happens. you are probably right then. i saw what looked like three webbers in a box on an intake manifold, ill have oics soon. it isn't here yet, it'll be here sunday. but i did manage to get most all his parts tho.

One suggestion ...leave the whale tail in the box it came in ,,or ,,you could buy a 71 chevy van and affix it to the rear on the roof..

.....yeah that would be nice.

maybe ill have to buy a new alternator for our ZXturbo when you get this thing running and show it what whoopass looks like.. :lol:

One suggestion ...leave the whale tail in the box it came in ,,or ,,you could buy a 71 chevy van and affix it to the rear on the roof..

.....yeah that would be nice.

maybe ill have to buy a new alternator for our ZXturbo when you get this thing running and show it what whoopass looks like.. :lol:

......or ship it to me....

And 72240z, that was all just from personal experience. Mine is 2 1/2 inchs longer then s30kids, and the l28 was 175 stock. I have the plackard in my car that says so.

The weight thing was just a guess, I had no idea how much those things weighed, I just took em off an junked em.

id like to get really really comfterable in my new Z before i start getting silly and seeing if banana"s banana is bigger than mine. i don't want go get a really nice Z and ball it up cause I'm not familiar with how it handles.

*edit* my 100th post was about banana's banana. lol

Edited by cdub42
  • Like 2

Oh sure i get the blame somehow.. Your the dude with a friend named Peanuts.......................Is it Sunday yet??

How bout now?

:lol:

not yet. need to get out there and make room in my shop. i got most of a datsun 620 i need gone. tdaaj's been hinting at adding it to his collection, but hasn't moved on it. buddy of mine wants the rolling chassis off of it in trade for his expert mechanicn skills to get my new pair of Zs on the road.. i gotta do something with it fairly quick tho. my place is starting to look like a used car lot.

......or ship it to me....

And 72240z, that was all just from personal experience. Mine is 2 1/2 inchs longer then s30kids, and the l28 was 175 stock. I have the plackard in my car that says so.

The weight thing was just a guess, I had no idea how much those things weighed, I just took em off an junked em.

Well when stating something like its a fact you should add that tid bit about it being a guess lol. Google it, a member of our z club cygnusx1 converted his 280z to 240z bumpers and weighed the difference.

The placard lied to you, it never made even close to 175 stock. The l28 in the 280z made 132hp and after flat tops and a higher quench head it made 143hp in the 280zx.

My 11:1 comp l28 with triples (e88/stock cam) should be making about 180hp. I hope to break 200 with a mild cam.

got it! its mine! came with a buttload of goodies too! i take delivery sunday. came with 3 webber 32/36 dgv intake, spare fenders, spare doors, spare whale tail deck lid, spare air dam, 5 speed tranny & the parts to do the swap, header, cat back, spare dash, and a complete 260 Z parts car. I'm literally about to explode with anticipation.

Hell yeah! Glad you got one! Grats....need more pics. ;)