Back from service and need Help!!

6l320datsun3

Hey guys I been gone a while got back from serving in Iraq, and my truck was abused while I was gone. Going through my divorce (lost two cars but still got the truck) and financial so any help like always is awesome. I returned to a truck that doesnt run, has no brakes, and the wiring is shot. So here is a list and the pictures from when I first got here and a refresher.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/jatoking/datsun/19.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/jatoking/datsun/DSC_0130.jpg

First is the truck will crank and pumps fuel fine after draining the lines cleaning and dumping the tank. The bowl has fuel in it but seems like it wont deliver to the intake checked and its wet on the inside. Got fuel on the plugs and awesome spark from a new coil and points.

Second the MC is stuck in the compressed poosition and wont return. So new MC? ... I was hoping to rebuild it but havent gotten a chance to take it off the truck.

Third is HOLY SHMIT the only thing that does work on electrical wiring to the lights and so forth is the dash lights for the signals. I double checked my grounds power and connections some moisture in some so yes replacing soon. Otherwise whats the motive for that why would none of it work but signal on the dash? Even my lights work on the inside when the lamps are turned on but nothing else. :confused:

It sat for 2+ years so yea I know abuse but thanks for everything you guys its just been a rough life for the both of us.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thnx Z, Anyway update! I got it timed and got new points, new dizzy from a friend, with new plugs and wires. It doesnt back fire I dont think it does, it spit back up the carb and I got pressure at 155. So the valves are still seated and dead on so I am lost. The valves are on mark for intake and exhaust. I got my headlights to work but the high/low foot swithc is stuck from the weather. Still have no idea on what I am going to do with the MC or what to pick up to replace I was thinking the MC off a 620 but ???

Thnx Z, Anyway update! I got it timed and got new points, new dizzy from a friend, with new plugs and wires. It doesnt back fire I dont think it does, it spit back up the carb and I got pressure at 155. So the valves are still seated and dead on so I am lost. The valves are on mark for intake and exhaust. I got my headlights to work but the high/low foot swithc is stuck from the weather. Still have no idea on what I am going to do with the MC or what to pick up to replace I was thinking the MC off a 620 but ???

Reach down and pull up on the the dimmer switch.

Check the 520/521 M/C for compatibility.

Yeah i tried that wayno, I should have clarified that it's uber stuck. I think its rusted since also all my rubbers are rotted another thing to add to my growing list. I'm not extremely worried about the MC because I know it's an easy replace the motor is now my goal. My neighobr told me it could be build up and its just burning it off, thing is The fuel was drained and no settlements where in the truck when I parked it. Soo ........ ?? Who knows im still tinkering on it.

Im I cant find out what is causeing the truck to keep firing out the carb, so my next goal is a complete rebuild YAY!!

Is it always/constantly back firing out the carb, or just when you give it the gas?

Does your fuel bowl look like this, where the float is kinda low?

DSCN0181.jpg

When ever I give it gas it back fires but other then that it wont even start. Yes my float is a little low but not that bad.

That truck wouldn't even run anymore, as the float had sunk and was flooding the engine, and yes the plugs were soaked/wet.

Try removing the gas line from the pump(tank to fuel pump line) so the carb won't get anymore fuel and see if it starts running better till the bowl empties itself, if it runs better, then connect the fuel line back up, as soon as the bowl fills, if it starts running shitty again, then you will know it's the float.

Found the problem the pin that closes off the fuel from entering the bowl which the float moves was completely rounded off at the tip. Also the pump was too powerful for it so I gotta adjust it in a bit. Thanks wayno It fired up and idled till I ran out of gas in the bowl. So I will be fixing that, then the restore thread for this truck FINALLY!!!

Well update I had it running and cant get the clutch to disengage. I rebuilt the slave and everything new lines and still nothing. Anyone got any idea because the last thing I wanna hear is transmission work. Even though sooner or later it wil come. Also had a friend drop by got me some new original wheels that came off his 65 since mine where no where near useful. post pics later going outta state for some military event oh and Happy 4th everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got time to do something with the truck. I got the lsignals to work found out the contacts in the switch weren't lining up when it was pulled so rebuilt that. I also started taking out the entire clutch system once again and hopefully get this thing rolling soon. Also just calling out does anyone have a decent headlight ring one of mine is just toast. Its so pitted and mishaped I am better off getting a different one. So just pm me if you do.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/jatoking/datsun/

Some photos I found layin around

th_c5455ea5.jpg