How to increase Caster

ggzilla

This is the best thing I ever did to my Datsun. It's now more fun to drive in town and on the highway. Datsuns came with antiquated Wheel Alignment settings. Many didn't drive very straight even when new, but wandered left and right a little bit.

A little more castor will fix that!

* Before: two hands gripping the steering wheel, making frequent steering adjustments on straight roads

* After: two hands lightly holding the steering wheel, making occasional steering adjustment

24599.jpg

Cut the Tension Rod rubber bushings in half, and shorten the metal spacer and put it back together. It will pull the wheels forward just enough to track well, with no wandering. Even with hands off the wheel it will drive straight.

DETAILS

The photos are of my Datsun 1200, but other Datsun models with McPherson strut suspension are similar.

1. Park on a level surface and measure the toe-in. Mine was right on spec, 3mm closer at front of tire compared to rear of tire (or 4mm measured from tread centerline, but as you can see I measured closer to the hub)

24600.jpg

I used the long stick to go clear across the car and measured front tape to rear tape.

2. Remove the Tension Rod (castor rod). Undo the front nut, then the two bolts on the LCA, then pull it out.

24594.jpg

3. Cut rubber bushings in half. Cut the metal spacer tube in half.

24595.jpg

4. Insert back through the Tension Rod Bracket and tighten bolts to specification. Remember this is suspension parts, you life depends on them, so do not weaken the fasteners by overtightening. Your repair manual will list the correct torque.24596.jpg

5. Re-measure the Toe-in, and if out of spec (4-6mm) then evenly rotate the side-rod ends until Toe-in is correct. See Toe-in

Enjoy driving.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niceeee.

Would you happen to know how the caster would be adjusted on a torsion bar/620 suspension? I've been very curious about it since I started learning about front alignment.

BTW, this is a good read for anyone interested in learning more about front alignments. It also lists all specs for most Datsun front ends.

http://www.camplulu....OnAlignment.pdf

So it's like typical double A-arm supension, like big american vehicles. You put shims on top or bottom A-arm to change camber, and move the A-arms a little to do caster changes.

I do know this, on a 620 you change the Toe-in exactly the same way as on a Datsun strut suspension. Turn the tie-rod bars evenly on both sides.

2 down sides to this that comcern me,

1. With out milling the shaft down to let the washer/bushing flange down the tc further your pretty limited on how far you take it or dont.

2. The tc rod should move verry freely on a well tuned setup, cutting the rear busshing in half (at a flex point no less) stiffens the tc rod movement a whole bunch, alot alot.

Tho it was a great idea im glad I tried a b one first becouse its not realy the feal I want, every thing on the suspention should move very easily, exept the spring and dampner.

It was effective, moved my b tc forward a half inch+.

Good point. That's the other common way to get more caster: use 4-way adjustable strut tops.

2-way Camber only plate

1249.jpg

4-way camber/caster plate

2471.jpg or non-adjustable 1259.jpg

Shortening the bushing collar is the no-cost way.

Does anyone make 4 way adjustable camber plates for the 510?

• 3 weeks later...