temp and fuel gauge problem

hey guys heres one for ya. i was crusin in my neighborhood earlier and i noticed that my temp gauge was slowly climbing to the over heating point. i thought maybe my thermostat wasnt working properly. then i noticed that my fuel gauge was climbing as well. i pulled over and they both went back down.i will note that this has happened a few times in the past. has this happened to anyone else before and is it something i should be conserned about?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative. The gauge regulator only affects the temp and gas gauges.

Check your alternator output at the battery with a volt meter at idle and when revved up. It should be regulated at about 13.8 to 14.8.

Clean and tighten the battery clamps on the posts.

On a 510? I don't know for sure. It might be like the 521 and be a small metal can about the size of the end of your thumb, that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. If this is the case try unplugging and plugging it in to clean the contact pins.

Does your OIL and CHARG light come on when you turn the key on??? If so then the fuse is fine and there should be power to the instrument volt regulator.

It's in one of the gauges I think. I have a 720 gauge cluster and had a look once for it. I'll try to dig it out of my pile and have another look.... I'm going from memory here.

This was posted earlier and is from the 620 temp gauge.... maybe the 720 is similar. Perhaps the volt reg. works both gauges... maybe there's one for each?

620instvoltreg.jpg

Cleaning the contact may put it back in working condition.

My 610 has the same issue, except for the fuel and temp gauge are constantly showing low.. once in a while, it will climb up and register where it's supposed to, but for the most part, they're useless to me. Been using to odometer to monitor my fuel level for a year now :( As for my temp, luckily I have an oil temp gauge, so I'm alright there.

More resistance in the temp and fuel gauge readings, they read lower. Check your grounds, check the connections at the senders. check connections where the engine room harness plugs into the cab harness. If you are working on a pickup, you may need to check connections between the engine room harness, and the body harness.

On your 510?

Well the TEMP and the GAS gauges are also powered by the same fuse ... so do they work or not??? If the GAS and TEMP gauges are also not working then check the fuse again. By checking the 20 amp fuse.... I mean replace, as checking is unreliable.

On your 510?

Well the TEMP and the GAS gauges are also powered by the same fuse ... so do they work or not??? If the GAS and TEMP gauges are also not working then check the fuse again. By checking the 20 amp fuse.... I mean replace, as checking is unreliable.

Yes, on the 510. thank you.

Time to take it to the auto electrician's shop!

Didn't have to. I found out that the fuse box wasn't feeding any power to the tachometer fuse. So now the heater line and gauge fuses don't work from the fuse box. I had to make my own. Cut the factory harness and connected a 20amp fuse for the fuel gauges etc to work. Thanks for all the help and input though! I also found that the fuse was bad also but that wasn't the main problem.

Any idea as to why my left blinker doesn't work? I just replaced the flasher relay cause i knew the original one was bad. I'm thinking the left blinker bulb is dead. More testing to be done... Is there any other relays other than the flasher relay that could cause any electrical problems? I found that there is a Interior Lamp relay switch.

Colors are RED/BLUE and turns into BLACK/RED.

The right and left both work off the same Flasher Unit. So if the right works, but not the left it will be because a bulb-lighting problem. Most likely a burned out bulb.

Alright so i ran into more problems. I just test drove the car and its night time here. When I have the headlight switch all the way on, the blinkers and my gauge lights go crazy. My taillights go in and out ... I've also followed a diagram for where the wires go and so far so good.

• 1 year later...

Im having a problem with my temp gauge... The gas gauge works just fine, but the temp gauge will not move. Does anyone know how to check the gauge to make sure it works before i replace the temp sensor... Or how to check the temp sensor to make sure its working? Help!! Plz.... :o)