A growing affection

Eomund

Like many, I originally got my truck with the purpose of modding it. One of the main ideas I had was a KA swap. I know the engine well as I have a 240sx that runs fantastic. When I got this truck, the fuel system was gummed up, it barely ran and had a ton of little issues that added up to a lot of work.

I've been getting the little issues fixed so I can at least drive the truck, and I'm there. I actually have been for the last month, driving it every day just about to work and back. After a month on the road, some basic tune ups and a new carburetor later, I'm learning this L16 is a runner.

It's far from the most powerful engine on the planet, but I'm learning that's not the point. Part of me still would like the KA for that mental soundness you can get from a newer motor, and so I can go at freeway compatible speeds. She can do it now, but she's workin' hard and I don't want to kill it.

This motor continues to surprise me. Great compression, plugs burning a perfect milk chocolate brown. No running issues now I have the webber tuned better. It doesn't leak a drop of oil or water. It's like it doesn't want the heart transplant.

I'm somewhat at a crossroads in my project. I'm to the point that I have to make a decision, KA or stock, before I put any more money out on the drive-train I mean (of course I'm still working on the chassis and interior. What's your guys opinion? Any stories similar? Lets hear what you have to say :D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say, work on the truck as is. Enjoy the truck. If you stumble across a KA for the truck for a good price, snag it. Then maybe collect parts, but do this all over time, no need to rush, and it is no means definite. Time will tell. You can always the setup later. One thing I would say is to only attempt the swap after you have all of the required parts.

I agree with Laecaon. get everything you need for the swap, then attempt it. nothing worse than putting progress on hold because of missing parts. L motors are very reliable as you now know, so you should also ask yourself what you are going to use the truck for? Work truck? cruiser? daily driver? weekend warrior? you get the idea. and then see which motor will best suit your needs.

actually, if i go with a KA. i'm gonna get a full, working hardbody to canibalize. so i can not only test the motor, but it would have everything. A little more money for a lot less headache imo.

Hardbody.

So you want a single cam set-up.

Cruise the yards for a 1989-90 240SX intake manifold, wiring harness, and ECU to make your journey even easier.

A Can-Am box wouldn't hurt things either.

;)

Hardbody.

So you want a single cam set-up.

Cruise the yards for a 1989-90 240SX intake manifold, wiring harness, and ECU to make your journey even easier.

A Can-Am box wouldn't hurt things either.

;)

Ya, I'm aware of the single cam. I'm allready well versed in the 240sx KA's as I have a 1990 that I've had 3 engines in...... I've been kinda hard on them.

I have started studying the motor and learned I don't have an L16 but an L18 with an A87 head. The serial numbers aren't making any sense to me which I am posting in the gen tech.

a newer motor ... so I can go at freeway compatible speeds. She can do it now, but she's workin' hard and I don't want to kill it.
I'm allready well versed in the 240sx KA's as I have a 1990 that I've had 3 engines in

The L18 is not even working hard at 4500 RPM -- the redline is 7000. They last longer than the KAs, that is for sure. An L18 can do 70 mph all day long. It is a superb engine.

Well then, as you should/might know...

The engine wiring harness in the Haedbody is integrated with the body harness.

This is why you want to get a 240sx harness rather than use the Hardbody's.

You didn't mention it was on your parts list, so I made a suggestion.

The Hardbody is also TBI vs. the 240sx's Port injection.

Once again, I was making a suggestion cuz you didn't have it on your parts list.

Your call.

You're reply gave zero indication that you were aware of these differences.

As for the L16 vs. L18.

No biggie. Someone swapped an L18 in.

Well then, as you should/might know...

The engine wiring harness in the Haedbody is integrated with the body harness.

This is why you want to get a 240sx harness rather than use the Hardbody's.

You didn't mention it was on your parts list, so I made a suggestion.

The Hardbody is also TBI vs. the 240sx's Port injection.

Once again, I was making a suggestion cuz you didn't have it on your parts list.

Your call.

You're reply gave zero indication that you were aware of these differences.

As for the L16 vs. L18.

No biggie. Someone swapped an L18 in.

I knew about the TBI difference and was just gonna run with it, but I was not aware of the wiring difference. That's good to know and appreciated.

It's not really that they just swapped the L18, I think it might've been one of the low mileage JDM engines that came over in the early 80's.

Ya, I know most of the mechanical differences, As I was originally eyeballing them for parts and found they were barely interchangeable. I wasn't aware of the mechanical differences.

If I go KA, unlikely at this point as I'm really learning to like the L-block, I was leaning towards the hardbody due to price. I wanted to get a running truck so I can drive it and test it and would have literally everything I needed as it's a working vehicle and complete. No peicing together and haveing to find parts. I can get a working truck for under 2k.Good luck on a 240sx under 5k where I live.

You only need the ECU/wiring/intake manifold.

You can get past everything else.

It's not like KA-E's are sought after.

Go ask a tuner shop if they got this stuff kicking around.

You might be surprised how many sets they want to hand you.