LAZARUS the sedan - Part 280ZX, Part 620, Part Silverado, Part Integra, ALL Lazzie!

I picked this guy up in 2010, and it sat for a while till i got back from USAF basic training and tech school. at which point i resurected the sedan (hence the name "Lazarus"), and needed to use it as a daily driver. i sold my old daily (93 ex civic sedan), and financed a datsun playtoy purchase 2dr so i wouldnt be without a datsun dream.... and now here i am. plenty of how do you fix it questions, not enough look what got accomplished posts... im here to fix that.

heres the datsun as i found it in a craigslist ad in 2010
18346_1215314668483_1392805_n.jpg
and heres the car as of pretty much current:
100_1126_zps881ff953.jpg
It sat in my back yard while i went away into the Air Force's tech training to employ me as a Plane Mechanic. i came home, and knew i wanted to do something with this car eventually, and thought this would be a great candidate for my turbo SR engine currently sitting in the 240sx i bought and drove back to Cali from Delaware.. but plans changed when i picked up my second 510.. this one was a 2dr, and a much better candidate for the SR engine. so i started the process of selling the daily driver civic i had stashed away in order to finance the build. so once it sold it was game time.. i quickly found Ratsun, and went to work making new datsun friends, and getting involved in stuff going on around me in my new datsun world...

18346_1218317223545_5570393_n.jpg
and then passing the daily driver torch
468627_3077511022228_951037864_o.jpg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just did a bachelor party last weekend in reno. i saw this bug (below) here, and i couldnt help but think that this was what i wanted to do to my four door datsun... a rat rod. waaaay too cool. plus, ive already done the checkered roof.... check my drift car linked in my signature.

100_0163.jpg

100_0165.jpg

of course i wouldnt do it EXACTLY like this one, but the faded, dumped, chrome look that this had just struck me as amazing. id love a roof basket over my checkerboard roof. i wont touch my pre-existing rust or paint wear, just dump it on the mini lites that are already on it.. some lower profile tires and some polished chrome. maybe HID's and some custom nostalgic looking interior... im pretty stoked about this budget build... and it mentally allows me to prepare for the full on restore of my 2dr 510 that will be accepting me SR20DET from the drift car... its a freeing feeling.

Edited by sedan20
  • 2 weeks later...

i do but id have to find them... ill get better pictures once its on the road again after the clutch and fuel tank are back in... i cant wait to dump it and ride it slammed. it will make that exhaust look THAT much better.

autozone sells the clutches with a lifetime warrantee! yeah boi!

i like the truck vallance, i think ill do it.

i put the muffler on there to be diffrent, and so far its working. it will look a lot better when its dumped, but till then it has already grown on me. i think that will stay too. ill get the pics up, but life has to slow down a bit for me to go hunting for them. lol...

in the meantime, i found a new trick via youtube.... i want to make my own

.... this looks waaaay too cool... i can see this car already... dumped, rust, bright chrome white walls on mini light rims, checkerboard roof and a roof basket << thats my vision for this car. mudflaps dragging on the ground.... Aahhh... (heres the finished
idea, minus the music of course...)

by the way... i just got a call from the machine shop, they said the flywheel is good to pickup... i cant wait to see what weight they were able to safely machine off the gross 40lb weight!

i just saw these two links

BASKET and BRACKETS... and my mind started going. i think i can make these two work together... of course this will have to happen when my funds are higher... but i totally see this happening... especially after i saw DRIVEN's thread... i think this will happen before the car is dropped on its nuts :blush: . just one step at a time. lol B)

just got the tank back from being hot tanked for an entire week... then coated thoroughly... i polished the outside down with diffrent grades of steel wool.. then clear coated it.. just finished the re instalation of the tank.

599783_3457073071042_85614229_n.jpg

looking sexy!! i took this while the clear coat was drying in the sun... its now in the car and everything is hooked up... ive got to fabricate, and install throttle linkage that goes to the dual side draft webers on the cannon intake manifold.. anyone have suggestions?

also... still trying to get it to fire... when it frustrates me enough, i just move on to another project... i have plenty, so there is no shortage there.

gotta just keep working -_-

the new aluminum radiator came in the mail yesterday before i closed up for the night! yay! even though i wasnt going to install it, i pulled it out of the box like a little kid on Christmas!

Photo0277-1.jpg

inbetween bouts of frustration with the ignition, i did some R&R on the rear bumper... im almost done as of currently, its looking GOOD!

old and new

Photo0274-1.jpg

closeup before and after

Photo0276-1.jpg

overall, it could have been a MUCH WORSE DAY... B)

autozone sell stock clutches unlkess it says "Daiken" on them

Hopefully you get a better one

ignition is pretty basic. Dont need a GED to figure this one out.

BLK white wire will have 12volts when key ON (ck fuse box also)

Blk BLU will have 12volts when key on START (Blk grn will be shorted to this wire also) I pull the starter wire at the starter tothe motor dont engage.

If you have these 2 wires work then the ignition wireing for the car is good. It will work if you dizzy is correct and correct coil and or ballast resisitor. Or if using a newer dizzy and newer coil.

make sure its TDC and rotor points the correct way and counter clockwise fire order

Is that a Datsunpartsllc radiator? let us know how it fits

I still dont get the weird muffler

they balance the flywheel? Careful on steel flywheelsthey can explode if too thin. I have one done but said hell with it never installed it. Got a aluminum one instead

• Like 1

lol. ill rock the muffler till it falls off by either rust or dragging off (when lowered), then ill run sidepipes most likely.

the flywheel was depressing the machine shop guy refused to take as much off as i had asked (probably for your reason ^^^) it might have dropped a few lbs off of the origional 40.. idk... (i didnt want to measure it, i was upset)......... yeah its balanced...

yeah ive installed ignition setups before.. they have been easy(ish) but this one is weird... it runs when IT wants to. ive wired it up correctly.. verified it over again twice... and it stil has issues... i seem to have better luck when its been sitting for a while... makes me lean toward flooded/weak plugs. ill try and check that tommorow.

i didnt check for the brand of the clutch... i probably should have.

the bumper is ALMOST installed, and the car has appt with my friends shop early monday morning, so i cant wait to iron out this guys issues... should be running in a few days... just need another clear head and set of hands to work this out. :geek:

"honda kid" what the fuck is that? its like you spat at me.

quick history lesson on this person you dont know

i was raised with a wrench in my hand following my dad around helping him restore his 1967 mustang fastback GTA (the only year the GT had an automatic designation), i looked up to my dad (a master mechanic for the city of Tracy CA) so much that i found a project 68 mustang coupe as a barn find for my first car. i mowed lawns and delivered papers till i had the cash to purchase it from the old lady, and then spent the next four years restoring it with the money i worked for. i moved up to fast food, and then to manufacturing jobs to afford it. all of my money went into it. one unfortunate day i get into an accident after a series of bad judgements involving anger,and un-experienced wreckless driving. the once $600 pile of shit mustang pulls $7000 AFTER it is bought back from the insurance company, it then is sold wrecked for another $2000 due to the nature of the build. as a teenager and dumb, i (out of spite toward my parents wisdom) put liabiliy coverage on my next new car that i bought with the cash, and rash that also driving wrecklessly. i never really had it easy. luckily im a hard worker and used my jobs to finance my progression back up the ladder. i regained a healthy relationship with my parents after the years of young dumb and ugly. and after my dad broke his neck riding dirt bikes with the family, i worked with him to finish the restore of his baby and sell the car at the first orange county barrett jackson auto auction in Orange County in 2009. this was about the same time that i had taken that "honda" (ew gross...) and turned out a 2nd place trophy and two plaques in the car... one of which was for paint and body... i was accepted into the Modball rally in 2009 as well, and rant the rally race from Sanfransisco to LA with about 20 other HIGHLY modified cars including a Maserati, multiple Lotus's, Skylines, etc etc etc.. i hung through the curves of highway1 with Danny from Team Blur in his modified NSX, and i partied at the playboy halloween party in the highlands with my recent wife right after as this adventure was also our honeymoon. My car was stolen not too long after, and i used the cash from insurance to buy a house, since owning this house, i have accumulated 2 datsun 510's, modified a Geo Metro for offroad uses (with accolades) driven across the united states for a 240sx with an SR20DET in Delaware, and sightsaw the lower 48 on the way back... trained my hand at the art of drifting to add to my experience behind the wheel autoxing, and dragracing, and set in motion plans for an extremely diverse, and well balanced stable to add to the already lengthy list of cars that i have owned/restored/modified over the years including but not limited to:

-89 dodge dynasty (police vehicle)

-01 Ford Crown Vic P71 Police interceptor

-84 toyota Camry

-MANY civic's and accords (mostly to buy and sell for extra cash)

-89 BMW 735i

-98 GMC sonoma

-89 Chevy S10

and many more that i just didnt think of off of the top of my head in this minute and a half.

ill get a good side pic up, but i have been focusing on getting it running. in order to feed my late night insomnia im up and surfing the net (just a few hours before it gets towed to a friends shop)... dont want to go into the garage.. it will wake my son. lol... when i first had the thought of installing that muffler i thought it might look a bit odd, but in al reality what car looks right with that thing? <<< thats what made me decide to go ahead with it. its diffrent. personally, i want to dump it before i get a side pic up just cause i think it looks like a skyscraper until that happens... (ive never been a fan of stock height suspension)

the downside to owning this old of a car and wanting to drop it on its nuts is that parts are a bit harder to find than most cars... id like to fix the camber immediately after lowering it... no sense in going through tires like its a VW bug. lol... and honestly, ive checked briefly, but im not sure where to start... i know itll probably ride like a bag of smashed rectum, but im willing to make that sacrifice... im not road racing the thing.. i just want a respectable looking cruiser. definetly going for dumped, wide whitewall, rat rod with this guy... once ive got the basics down, and it runs good enough, ill be starting on the build of my second 510 (the 72 2dr sedan) that will be taking the SR20 swap. ive learned the hard way about spreading myself too thin, and opening too many projects at once... bad jew jew. lol...

i got these pictures last night before i shut down the operations... like i said, ive got a tow scheduled for the AM.. ill be at my buddies shop when it opens, i want to get this thing back on the road.

100_0596.jpg

100_0598.jpg

i really like my new camera. it has an adjustable shutter speed for these really good nightime shots... up to 16seconds for extremely low light applications. good stuff!

I like that color green, is the color code visible?

i like the rustic aged, and charachter induced look... where would i find the color code? i havnt stumbled across it, but i havnt gone looking for it either.

So the whole purpose of that muffler to loop around was for killing sound, I think it was in an old Scc mag. He has it, rock it. I just want to see a side pic, and hear a sound byte. My guess the loop around pipe is just below the edge of the rocker.

yes, yes it is. below the bottom edge of the rusty rear rocker... looks a bit odd still (not dumped) but i have confidence it will look fantastic dumped to hell.

i recorded a video (not completely sure how to display full videos on here) so heres the link... of the problem im having in motion. ive JUST got word that hot spark will be accepting the unit to review for issues...

the stuttering issue i seemed to be having came origionally from the distributer... it was just old, and points suck... so thats all there was to that... i guess its good that i cleaned out the fuel tank.... but it wasnt completely nessesary at the time.... soooo... NOW the issue seems to be coming from the module of the NEW distributer... the video ^^^ shows all of the work we went through to mak sure that everything was done 100% correctly.. we check for continuity in all nessessary areas, and then show that the issue has been in the module... when pressure from our hand is applied the the module in a downward fashion the reliability of the spark goes from about 10% to about 75-80% its very strange. i hope hot spark replaces this issue without too much hassle... ill let you all know about my experience with the company as i go through this -_-