521 brakes- where to get new adjusters

fisch

Allrighty y'all did a search and nothing came up for this issue. Both of my front adjuster wheels are frozen. I've read some posts about that. I've been PB blasting one of them, and I will keep trying.

HOWEVER to other is a wose problem. The football shaped plates around the adjuster that hold it in position on the back of the drum are not there at all. The adjuster just kinda floats intside the slot, and the little square thing with the arrow is pretty much broken off too. So I am guessing I need a whole new adjuster for that wheel. But where do I get one? There is no listing for that brake part on Rock auto. And an import shop I was at today said Beck Arnley discontinued it.

I will track down the part # tomorrow and call Nissan to see if they still have them. But if not, where can I get one? (Or two if I can't unfreeze the other one.)

Thankfully, the backs still adjust.

And I will be sure to put some antisieze on the new adjusters when I am able to find them.

With all the black dust that has been coming out of these drums, I am scared to see how hard the drums will be to take off! But I have read what some of y'all have gone through, so I am mentally prepared for it to ba a hassle.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the 620 ones will work. as far as the adjusters being frozen i always take mine out and put them in the vice. i use wd-40 and a screw driver the size of a golf club and maybe a pair of pliers to loosin them back and forth and get them apart. after that i use a wire wheel on my drill and clean them up and reassemble.

i dont think any of the adjuster parts are available anymore. they're strictly junk pocket parts as pac coast says. i'll shall start saving these when i go to the yard also. good luck bro.

Ohh poop I was hoping nissan might still have them. Now I really do need to be careful how hard I work the one that is still intact!

Pac you wold be my hero if you can find one or two at a yard!

Now that I know they are this hard to get I should post something in the wanted section.

Dat521, was it hard to get the drum off w/o being able to loosen the adjuster?

here is a guy in canada who has new adjusters for sale. I e=mailed him and he got back to me right away. The adjusters don't come with the clips and he doesn't have any.:( I need a set of clips if anyone has any. Zenon

http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-pickup-parts.html

Great link Zenndog!

You know I wonder if I just need the plates too? I still have a little of the nub you tap w/ with the little arrow on it.

I wonder if someone has some loose ones can they be traced and fabbed ourselves? I don't know how they are constructed, but have you though about trying this Zenndog?

Granted mine are still frozen up so they gotta come out. If I get the plates off I might give it a shot.

I have thought about fabricating some. My guess is that they are made from spring steel, so it might be hard to make them just like nissan did. They were probably stamped out profile/bend in one operation and then heat treated while laid flat. I am shure something could be devised that would get the job done.

Of course i was hoping with so many people talking about putting on discs someone might have a stray set of clips or two sitting around waiting to feel useful again.;) Zenon

I wrote the NEw-Datsun-Parts guys to ask if the adjuster came with clips? I wasn't sure by the photo. They're on vacation for a week.

Still looking if anyone out there has one!

[/b]

I wrote the NEw-Datsun-Parts guys to ask if the adjuster came with clips? I wasn't sure by the photo. They're on vacation for a week.

Still looking if anyone out there has one!

Hey fisch! Is this what you are looking for? If so, pm or e-mail me At Thiscard4u@aol.com

I should thank you for looking to get parts because I have been bummed out about tdaaj bailing and having those bad experiences with people buying from him. You got me back out and wrenching on those trucks I have.

A BIG THANK YOU!

PICT0198.jpg

[/b]

Hey fisch! Is this what you are looking for? If so, pm or e-mail me At Thiscard4u@aol.com

I should thank you for looking to get parts because I have been bummed out about tdaaj bailing and having those bad experiences with people buying from him. You got me back out and wrenching on those trucks I have.

I think those might be the ticket. I shot you an e-mail! Thanks for digging!