1970 240z USDM 432

Gonna try flipping the TDC. The guy who rebuilt my engine told me it was at it but I'll check tomorrow. Been adjusting and fiddling with the dizzy all afternoon. Correct me if i'm wrong but I dont think timing is adjustable in the L28et. I thought timing was determined by the ecu.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a friend come over and we redid the timing w/ TDC. It runs! Fucking crazy loud with just a downpipe. Gonna get exhaust built monday and I'll be on the street next week. Just in time for the local Z car meet :)

For some reason it runs rough and it dies pretty often between downshifts. I set my intial BTDC to about 20. I also tried nearly 0 and it didnt run any better. Any ideas? Is there such a thing as getting too much flow through the exhaust? All I had hooked up was about 3.5' of 3" mandrel bent downpipe...

Had a friend come over and we redid the timing w/ TDC. It runs! Fucking crazy loud with just a downpipe. Gonna get exhaust built monday and I'll be on the street next week. Just in time for the local Z car meet :)

For some reason it runs rough and it dies pretty often between downshifts. I set my intial BTDC to about 20. I also tried nearly 0 and it didnt run any better. Any ideas? Is there such a thing as getting too much flow through the exhaust? All I had hooked up was about 3.5' of 3" mandrel bent downpipe...

Mine died when I had just the downpipe. Where are you getting the exhaust done I been wanting go 3" all the way and I got quoted $800-1000 which was way too much for me. If you look up Big Phil on youtube he has a 280z with a L28ET swap he had a holset diesel turbo with 4" exhaust. Your looks stock, so I would keep it 3", my car still runs funny so I have figure out what's going on with it.

Timing wise I used this thread, 1st reply, because Im not sure what the timing is actually supposed to be, I didnt see it in my book as I skimmed through lol

http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discussion_forum/1982_280zx_turbo_timing_880559.0.html

And I havent gotten a quote because I assumed my exhaust would cost about 2-300$ but I'm taking the z to Quality muffler and brake (the one right across the street from the lithia body and paint). I already have a 24" 3" glass pack and a 3 into 4" straight through ricer can plus I built my own downpipe so all I need the guy to do is stick everything together with some 3" mandrel.

I dont have any vacuum leaks that I know of and I boosted to about 8psi max, since I adjusted both the BOV and the wastegate to their lowest settings. I'm not sure how the air regulator works but I'm not using it right now. Does it activate as the engine drops to idle? I thought it just opened for cold starts but could it be a reason for killing the engine?

I've also got an aluminum radiator on order since I found out that my stock one has a little crack in it so it leaks a little coolant and I was also running about 225 degrees (according to my stock temp gauge if thats remotely accurate) hopefully I'll get it and install it before the local z car show next weekend :D

is your bov recirculated? If not, that can cause your car to run rich. Also, cheap bov's sometimes leak at the diaphram letting air out. They seal great when under boost when the manifold pressure helps it close. Basically that would be a big vacuum leak. I know this by experience!

I remember when i ran mine to the shop without an exhaust. I don't know if you already know this but turning off a turbocharged engine like that is bad for the turbo you should wait up to 1-3 min depending how hard you ran the car.

Nice video indeed good to see it running.

I don't know if you already know this but turning off a turbocharged engine like that is bad for the turbo you should wait up to 1-3 min depending how hard you ran the car.

Ya I heard it cooks the oil in the turbo or something like that.

I love how quiet it is now!

I got the muffler for 40, glasspack for 25, and everything installed for 300.

I'll post a couple videos of the exhaust, before and after, in a little while. It took 6 hours to upload that last video! >.<

I'm hoping my z will be running well enough for the local z show this weekend, got an aluminum radiator on order to help combat overheating lol may have to run electric fans on the front and build a shroud for the inner fan too. It jumps all the way up to 250F within 10 minutes...

I got the muffler for 40, glasspack for 25, and everything installed for 300.

I'll post a couple videos of the exhaust, before and after, in a little while. It took 6 hours to upload that last video! >.<

I'm hoping my z will be running well enough for the local z show this weekend, got an aluminum radiator on order to help combat overheating lol may have to run electric fans on the front and build a shroud for the inner fan too. It jumps all the way up to 250F within 10 minutes...

Damn what place did you get it installed at quality muffler got an expensive quote I wanted to try J&L muffler cause I want a 3" mandrel bend downpipe and 3" exhaust and I would supply the muffler. The one I have on now is like falling off lulz and there like no where to

put the bracket.

Damn six hours what do have dial up? Mine takes like a minute or less depending on the size.

I'm anxious to see your Z.

Not sure why my internet is so slow. I'm uploading the videos to youtube first though.

I went to Quality muffler and brakes, i think thats the name. Either way, it's the place across the street from Lithia body and paint.

He does some solid work, my exhaust looks very nice, and my friend took his 190e in with his own muffler for a good result too, I think his was cheaper because it was 2.5" crush bend tho.

The guy doesnt have a mandrel bender but he does have mandrel bent 3" piping, I bought some from him for my downpipe and he used it for the rest of my exhaust.

And i'm excited to show off my car lol just gotta do something about it overheating so much... I think thats why its not running well.

Here's the first video, my NA exhaust. The revving is rly short because I saw the smoke go past my door and cut it short.

The other video still has 45 minutes... for a 30 second video or something like that

• iwayman changed the title to 1970 240z USDM 432