1973 Corona MarkII wagon MX29. The saga is now complete. (2015 update)

As learned from pumpkins dad... some early toyotas came with a points triggered electronic ignition, as found on their bone stock 71? Corona (4cyl). I dont know how to tell the difference! A coil going out could cause symptoms when hot and none when cold, and if its electronic then an ignitor can also cause similar symptoms... if its got points only, electronic makes it just that little bit better.

Looking at the pic of the mark II next to the yellow celica, you can really see the family resemblance. I think you and kinda dicussed it, but driving the mark II reminded me so much of driving an old american car it kinda made me want one... problem was i started looking towards american cars for ideas for how to build it. Which made me want one more. This car is finally the one. Building a 289 for it :D but i did consider the lexus 1uzfe, but the 289 is on my top ten list, couldn't pass up the chance to do it.

I will own another datsun some day, but its not gonna be a project car. Bone stock roadster... need more room first.

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Reg's '78 more or less the same as the '73 or is his next generation?

http://community.rat...ct/page__st__40

Looked on Wikipedia, but got confused cause it says there was a model change sometime in '73. But it also says "January 1977 saw a minor appearance change to both the interior and exterior, with a revised grille."

Len

Len, Reg's Corona is a carry on of the Corona line (and a really cool car, I like that body style) whereas my Mark II was the beginning of the Cressida line X chassis. Toyota has spun off new models by attaching them to existing models such as the Celica/Supra became the Celica line and the Supra line. Corona's continued along side the Cressidas till the early '80s I think but they were mostly completely different cars. Cressidas were called Mark IIs in other markets.

Okay, thanks. Reg's and yours are different. What I suspected, but had to know for sure. What engine does yours have? Looking on Wiki, it seems there are lots of different engines. When you mention Cressida, I think 6-cylinder. Or was that in later models? I shouldn't be asking all the yota questions. I'll be setting myself up to buy one if I get too interested.

Len

It has a 4M which is a 6 cylinder just like the later Cressidas. Most of the emissions crap and the big factory air cleaner will be gone after the carb swap. I like the Toyota body styles but I definitely like the way my Datsun runs better. Maybe I should swap in an L-24 from a z and be done with it :)

2012-04-01_12-34-21_943.jpg

A lightweight lexus v8 would suit that car nicely. Though i will admit the Z's i've owned were great running cars even when running poorly... hope that makes sense.

Give credit to the 4m tho, its dead reliable. Stop laughing. Its the other stuff that hasnt held up as well. That carb was rebuilt a few years back buy a "shop", which is probably the real issue.

I've thought about a 1UZ and other Toyota drive trains. I don't think the 4M is done yet though even though it has a few leaks here and there. The first leg of the trip before the problems was great and it was a very nice road trip car. I'm hoping the carb and external fixes will get it back into its reliable around town "really cool daily" status.

When I was driving it everyday and since its not a flashy colored car I would forget what I was in when people would give me thumbs up or ask what it was. I had one carload ask me if it was Australian and another group of construction workers asked if it was a Lancia. Both were surprised it was a Toyota as it looks nothing like anything Toyota has ever made. Its kind of a one off.

Hey Duane i am hoping I can talk someone into buying the Beamis TOYOTa RWD 2.0 NA with six speed trans 200 hp. on Ebay 1499. in Texas and some more out there for more money , to install in a Toyota of some breed maybe a Celica or your wag, check it out awsome- but too long of trans fo truck swap ,came in an IS200 in Japan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that my cars have the honor of being featured on Build-Threads.com I should probably post an update of the MarkII. It has mostly been sitting in the garage since the failed road trip back from JCCS. I have adapted a weber carb and am in the process of removing the emissions items from the car. I need to fabricate a new linkage, hook the carb up and she'll probably fire right up. I turned the key the other day when I needed to push her out of the way and the battery is still good and the dash clock has been running this whole time. She is a good solid car and I can't wait to get it back on the road.

I've been driving my 510 a lot this winter and it is super reliable. I keep joking about putting a Z motor in the Corona but I am on the lookout for an acceptable engine swap and someone to help me with it. I think the 4M will keep going once I get the carb dialed in but it would be nice to make this car road trip worthy again. Its such a nice car to travel in.

• Like 1

why not convert it to cable? costs a whole 25 bucks and is alot better then linkage

why would he put a ka in it? stock it has a 6 cyl so he has alot of room in there the lexus v8 would be a good choice or a 7m 

• 1 month later...

The Corona MarkII wagon is for sale.

I'd like to see it go to a good home. This is an opportunity for it to go quick and painless before I change my mind. I'm posting locally and on my threads first before any For Sale section. PM me for more.

That being said, I really like this car. I love the way it looks and I love the way it rides but I don't like to see it just sitting there and I don't have time to give it the love it deserves. As you may know, it didn't quite make it home under its own power from the JCCS road trip last year. I have isolated the problem to the carburetor and antiquated vacuum system. I have a new Weber that's all adapted and ready for a linkage.

When the carb is dialed in, I expect it to fire right up. The battery is good, the electrical system is good. Right now, its for sale as is and non running. The car comes with some extra body parts: a perfect hood, 4 good doors, extra windshield and some extra glass along with misc parts from a now parted parts car. I also have a 5 speed for it.

The car has great patina, rust free under carriage, new front disc brakes, a perfect headliner, great back seat, and its pretty rare, especially with the factory 4 speed manual . It can come with the DR20s and nearly new 195/50/15s or I have some crap tires to hold it up until the right wheels are found.

The 4M engine is still pretty solid. It does have a small power steering leak. Most everything about this car can be found in this thread. Thanks for looking -Duane

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the support! It looks like I will be keeping the car and it will be mothballed until winter when I can find time to give it the love it deserves... unless I can find the right person to dial it in for me now :)  At the moment, I have more money than time so I'm on the lookout for someone to dial it in for me or even swap the 4M to something more efficient. This car is great for road trips and it would be awesome to have it reliable enough for another one.

Over the years, I've learned my limits and getting an engine running perfectly is one of them. I'd much rather spend my time fabricating a bag system than tweaking a carburetor. I will be talking to JDM Legends this Thursday about their thoughts on what it may need to get back on its feet.

The MarkII will rise again (eventually)... Here she is, enjoying a spring day with what's left of the parts car.

null_zps3189f34f.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Time for an update on the Mark II. This is going to be a slow project but it has started moving forward. After sitting for nearly a year, I started widdeling away at it in August. My goal is to have the engine compartment cleaned up and ready for paint by winter and get it back into the garage.

Oh, and about the motor choice? Well it truly will be a "motor". Whether you call it cool or sacrilege its going to happen. I've always wanted to do an EV and this seems a great candidate. I have not determined the exact specs yet but think a milder version of the White Zombie Datsun, not a commuter car. I want it to have tire smoking performance to help offset the reactions I get to not having a traditional JDM power train. I'm going to bite the bullet and go Lithium Ion batteries for their size, weight saving and longevity. I'm shooting for around 40 miles of range. I plan to start a thread on DIY Electric Car too but Ratsun is the first place I update :)

I want to save this car and get it back on the road and I think this will be a great way to resurrect it. Bodywork and stance will be addressed as well. I have a full vision for it. Anyone want a good, used 4M?

photo1_zpsc7409d78.jpg

photo2_zps855826f3.jpg

photo1copy_zpsfb2ead0c.jpg

photo2copy_zps0960922c.jpg

photo3copy_zps7ccf4f25.jpg

photo3_zps985575f7.jpg

536776_561120900620203_208776021_n_zps55

photo_zps527df6e2.jpg

photo4_zpsea2d1857.jpg

• Like 2