How to Remove Rear Hub?

dp320

img0353ts.jpg

So what's the method? I can't tell from the drawings in the manuals how to remove this. I need to take it appart to deal with the rust on the plates behind it. I guessed that the two portions of metal at 180° might mean it somehow unscrews but it looks more like a single piece of metal. I also don't understand what looks like 4 pins. There's also something in the center that looks sort of like tapering threads.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You remove it by removing the entire axle. You unbolt the bearing cage from behind (the 4 bolts that appear to hold the backing plate actually sandwich the backing plate to the rear bearing cage) then use a slide hammer to remove the axle and bearing assembly from the axle tube. You then remove the lock nut that holds the axle to the bearing cage, and the axle comes out leaving the bearing cage and backing plate together.

img0353ts.jpg

So what's the method? I can't tell from the drawings in the manuals how to remove this. I need to take it appart to deal with the rust on the plates behind it. I guessed that the two portions of metal at 180° might mean it somehow unscrews but it looks more like a single piece of metal. I also don't understand what looks like 4 pins. There's also something in the center that looks sort of like tapering threads.

You cannot remove the plate from the axle without removing the axle bearing.

To get the axles out, remove the brake line, then the 4 lock nuts on the back, disconnect the E-brake line in the center, and remove the E-brake cable clip from the frame mount and remove the cable end from the frame, now you can remove the axle from the housing, but the plate will still be in the same position.

I would just deal with the rust where it is, unless you have the equipment to remove and install the axle bearing.

Hmmm. I guess I'll just have to take care of the rust as best I can. The bearings all seem tight, no gear lash or wobble. What tools would it take for the axle bearings? I thought it was just a matter of tightening the hubs correctly?

You don't have to cut the plate OR "mess with the bearing". They come out together.

I need to take it appart to deal with the rust on the plates behind it.

Yep, pull the axle with the brake plate. The hub is just the axle flange, the hub is not separate like on the front.

One you get it out, you'll be able to move the plate around a bit, enough to clean it up without removing the bearing.

You don't have to cut the plate OR "mess with the bearing". They come out together.

Yep, pull the axle with the brake plate. The hub is just the axle flange, the hub is not separate like on the front.

One you get it out, you'll be able to move the plate around a bit, enough to clean it up without removing the bearing.

OK this sounds good. This means I won't consider having the rear axle stuff powder coated so I guess I'll just paint them with decent spray paint, unless there's something else I should consider?

Also, what do people do with leaf springs? Just leaf them alone? (yuk) Paint? I'm guessing the flexing doesn't allow much for coating options.

Chrome the differential cover so people can see how cool it is, right. ;-)

Most of us on Ratsun don't have show vehicles, so (most of us) don't do powder coating.

I would take the leaf pack apart, clean it up with a drill brush and pain the leafs black.

Then fit leaf pads in between so it works like new.

I did that once to my Datsun. It didn't help at all, but looked nice.

Most of us on Ratsun don't have show vehicles, so (most of us) don't do powder coating.

I would take the leaf pack apart, clean it up with a drill brush and pain the leafs black.

My intent isn't really show, It's more to deal with the long-neglected problems of a nearly 50 year old car. Just seemed if I was going to bother to take something apart I ought to at least do some sort of clean-up or preventative. I'll have to google to see what a leaf pad is.

Use some metal etch on them to help cleaning the rust off. I do this whenever I'm painting metal parts. And use an engine paint. Engine paint has a high ceramic content which makes it more resistant to oils and solvents and such. ANd when I want my paint to stick like no other, I use a mapp torch and "chase" the moisture out, and then apply paint right away. It bakes it on. Try it and you'll see what i'm talking about.